• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Anyone Practice Voodoo? (Or other forms of "witchcraft"?)

My opinion is that it isn't possible to manipulate reality through spells, curses, hexes, and the like. I figure if these things actually worked, there wouldn't be any bosses or landlords left walking around at all. Everybody would be using them against people they don't like. The one exception may be in cultures in which the effectiveness of these things is generally accepted and feared. Then, someone might fall ill or die from fear-filled stress or just giving up and not eating or drinking if they think they have been cursed. There's my 2 cents, anyway.

Voodoo is dark. Use documentaries to find out more.
It isn't "real", in the sense that it doesn't work.
Obviously I'm not denying that it is practiced.

I'm not going to bother debating whether or not animal / human sacrifices, and drinking animal blood, are "dark" things to do...
In the context of voodoo, the animals are often NOT treated well, at all.
Again, some research will uncover this.

Maybe you should try a reputable book and skip the racist propaganda you call "documentaries".

I take it back. Clearly Voodoo isn't dark... And eating shards of broken glass, so you can channel ancestral spirits, is a totally appropriate thing to advocate on a forum full of suggestible people on psychedelics. :\

He's talking about Santeria....not Voodoo. Once again, read a reputable book.

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied and contributed to the discussion, unfortunately I was not on Bluelight for a while and have only gotten back on after this thread was a bit old. Much love <3

I like the history surrounding voodoo I read a great book about it once...Hemmingway? Godamn it I cant remember!

Any reading suggestion?

Maybe you should try a reputable book and skip the racist propaganda you call "documentaries".
He's talking about Santeria....not Voodoo. Once again, read a reputable book.

I've already apologized for my tone... and my opinions, whether or not actually reflective of broader Voodooism, were not based on documentaries... or books... They were based on real life experiences... (With all due respect, there's only so much you can learn from a book...)

I really don't want to become part of this discussion again. I've spent enough time justifying the word dark.
To clarify (again): my experiences with voodoo have been dark... they may not be representative of the religion.
If you'd like to direct any messages towards me, please do so via PM.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I like the history surrounding voodoo I read a great book about it once...Hemmingway? Godamn it I cant remember!

Any reading suggestion?

Kenaz Filan Has several seemingly good books about the culture surrounding both New Orleans Voodoo and Haitian Vodou. :)

One thing I've noticed about this is how people with little experience, or no negative experience of this, tends to idealise it and often deny the negative experiences of others.

For instance, I was just reminded of this guy I met who told me he that he was contacted by a greek demon who introduced him to chaos magic when he was eleven and finally escaped from that hell and found God at 22.

Now, it's not for me to say as I have no way of knowing either way, but I also don't think you could say for sure something like that definitely didn't occur.