• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Any Atheists here?

Yes of course atheists make assumptions during everyday life. The difference between a theist's faith and my assumption is 1. I can test my assumption, study it, analyze it. If I can prove it then great, if I cant i keep working at it until i can. Up unto that point I have the best possible opinion based on the evidence that is available. 2. I do not have to suspend rational thought or logic. Faith is me telling you that 10,000 years ago a spider gave birth to a scorpion and demanding that you believe it.

I'll note for clarification that I prefer conceptualization of religiosity along two dimensions:

content: from atheism to theism
certainty of believe: from abjectly agnostic to fervently faithful.

ebola

In addition to that I find it rather difficult to narrow your beliefs in a concept. It´s too diverse..

Something just occured to me. When you're born your parents have the choice to christen you which makes you an official member of the church. And when you're 15 you have the choice to confirm your membership, which you mostly do for an expensive dress, presents, and a party. But no one really thinks of what it means. And almost no one are genuinly religious. Although I can't see any advantage in the alternative.

Something just occured to me. When you're born your parents have the choice to christen you which makes you an official member of the church. And when you're 15 you have the choice to confirm your membership, which you mostly do for an expensive dress, presents, and a party. But no one really thinks of what it means. And almost no one are genuinly religious. Although I can't see any advantage in the alternative.

i was baptized but my parents aren't really religious. I think they did it as a "just in case it is all real!" kind of thing

i was baptized but my parents aren't really religious. I think they did it as a "just in case it is all real!" kind of thing

I have the impression parents baptized their children for stronger reasons than ' just in case '. Parents mean well and want their beloved to be surrounded by all that good energy regardless of believing in God or not.
There is just too much history and tradition in it, otherwise this wouldn't exist nowadays..imo of course.

I am not an atheist!!! I worship black holes as they are not really black holes they are actually the one true God, the flying spaghetti monster. One day I wish to get close enough to experience spaghettfication so I may become one with him.