• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Any Atheists here?

the issue is more so that atheism is at odds with theism (by definition even or nomenclature at least) and where the burden of proof lies, as i see it, both sides are equally affected by a lack of evidence and the burden of truth at this time. that is my argument, argue against that and let's not get all caught up in semantics cause it really makes for a boring discussion. That is the issue at heart and what is most controversial among the two sides, wherever you lie on the spectrum of either side. I don't think academia has come together on it either.

I used to identify as atheist when I was younger because to me there was no evidence for a supreme being. I still believe that is true. At this point my concept of "God" relates more to universal oneness than it does a supreme being that pulls the strings, and is separate from us.

In fairness to atheists, it's hard to prove a negative. How do you prove the absence of God? I mean, look around... do you see God anywhere? Theists have a high burden of proof. If God exists then you should be able to direct me to it.

At this point my concept of "God" relates more to universal oneness than it does a supreme being that pulls the strings, and is separate from us
Thats my current belief as well. Best description for a "God" is the entire universe, and humans are just an extension of that.

I never believed in the Christian version, which is an angry old bearded man who sits on a throne in heaven somewhere

Fresco said:
I never believed in the Christian version, which is an angry old bearded man who sits on a throne in heaven somewhere

No, no it isn't. I know there's some old art where that's the image, but our conception of the holy spirit isn't that it's really a dove or tongues of flame, now is it? I mean, if you want to critique the idea of an active, personal God, go right ahead, there's plenty to do for that.

I don't wanna derail this into a theology discussion, but it needed to be said.

A thought I've been having, those with a vague, impersonal conception of deity (pantheists, and the like) have more in common with atheists and agnostics than those who view ethics and human society as having some God-decreed ideal form. But in practice they only ever think to ask, do you believe in God? (Or do you believe in Jeee~zuss if they're a conscientious evangelical), and so that's where we're drawing the dividing line, but theism and non-theism, but we needn't view it that way. Of course, the militant atheists might be offended to be placed in such company.

Last edited:
No, no it isn't. I know there's some old art where that's the image, but our conception of the holy spirit isn't that it's really a dove or tongues of flame, now is it? I mean, if you want to critique the idea of an active, personal God, go right ahead, there's plenty to do for that.

While I'm sure the beard imagery was adapted later, the Bible does explicitly say "God created Man in his own image; He created him in the image of God", which seems to redundantly imply that God looks human. But then again, Christians often discount the reliability of (some parts of) the Old Testament.

^No, it does not imply that all, Judaism never took it to mean that either. It has always been taken to mean the spiritual nature of man is what we have in common with God, and our moral capacity, rationality, and free will.

Yeesh, you people would confuse the parable of the sower for a lecture on agronomy, wouldn't ya?

Anyway, on topic, down here, open displays of theism are vaguely looked down upon, or seen as an eccentricity. It was disconcerting when I stopped in Mormon country and religious-speak was commonplace, and young folk were saying it in earnest.

Last edited:
But many people lack those intellectual capacity.Religion makes millions of people feel good and safe every day. Although their good feelings are based on bullshit, it makes them feel good. .
Sort of like when they put down 'Teddy' (bear) , they picked up god.

Last edited:
Ive pretty much given up arguing with theists, it the most frustrating thing every to have the other side of a debate arbitrarily declare that their argument is immune to the normal parameters of a logical discussion.

^No, it does not imply that all, Judaism never took it to mean that either. It has always been taken to mean the spiritual nature of man is what we have in common with God, and our moral capacity, rationality, and free will
Uhm, just because thats how you interpret the Bible doesnt mean thats the truth

Ive pretty much given up arguing with theists, it the most frustrating thing every to have the other side of a debate arbitrarily declare that their argument is immune to the normal parameters of a logical discussion.

I consider myself an atheist, I guess in technical terms, an agnostic atheist (as apposed to a gnostic atheist, I am *not* an agnostic, there is a difference). I don't believe in a god, at all, but obviously I have no proof so I'm not confident in claiming to know there is no god. In my opinion, to say you know for an absolute fact that god doesn't exist is just as ignorant as saying you know for a fact that he does exist.

Same here. As for myself, I can't accept the idea of a paternal god meting out justice based on our behaviour. A concept such as that is too "human" somehow; if there is a god, then I hardly think our morality would be his-her-its concern. Of course, I'm just another ignorant person; I think we all are when it comes to a subject like this. Lets face it: we're talking about gods and supernatural forces here; unknowable concepts to a human mind. If anybody claims to have a definitive and ultimate answer as to whether there is a god or not, they are deluding themselves; we simply do not have the tools to determine that. At least not yet.

Last edited:
Uhm, just because thats how you interpret the Bible doesnt mean thats the truth

I was not relying on any personal interpretation. Attempting to relate the actual theological positions of the Abrahamic religions is probably my only worthwhile contribution here, and I try to do a good job of it, lazy and unlearnèd layman that I am.

Honestly, I never endeavored to even try to find evidence that God exists or not because it is a futile quest and the answers will never come. Some people use "Faith" as an argument that God exists which frees them from even questioning his non-existence but there are some who are naturally curious and explorative that they need to find the truth for themselves.

One thing's for sure though is that not engaging myself to the unending quest to find proof that God exits or not makes life more truthful and real to me. I just don't think knowing or not knowing that God exists will add any more meaning to my life.

“You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.”

― Albert Camus

If God exists then you should be able to direct me to it.

:)

Ask and you shall receive, so I will give it a try, though I respect anyone's choice to be an Atheist, and have no intention of playing Devil's advocate.

But I'm sure many who come to this thread are Agnostics, and even few Atheists are too sure of their beliefs, so I thought I would try to show it from a different perspective which might give rise to some new impulses in some.

Although, having said that, while I've had my own experiences, there are surely those who have said it better, so instead I think I'll just quote a passage from Peter Deunov about the subject which is both very enlightening and has a very high, uplifting vibration. Feel free to judge for yourselves.

The Master speaks:

"There are people who do not like it when one speaks to them of God, yet when you meet a person like that you will see that he is in need of God.

There are those who have chosen to deny the existence of God, but somewhere deep in their hearts they know they are wrong and that God really exists.

People perceive God as an abstraction; and yet, God is the One Reality.

There is One who manifests Himself as Love, as Wisdom, and as Truth.

There is One!

And all of Living Nature speaks of this One, of this Great One. They call Him God, Lord, Father.

It is He who fills everything, all of creation, all worlds, all solar systems, and nevertheless, He is still unrevealed. He cannot reveal Himself completely, even in all eternity. It does not contain all the forms by which He might reveal Himself.

There is only one Being in the world who is absolutely good in the true and full meaning of the word and that is God. He is always kind. In His benevolence, God has absolutely no desire to do evil to anyone. If He passes by even the smallest insect, He smiles at it and gives it all the best conditions for life and development.

People ask me if I have been to the world beyond. I do not visit the world beyond; I live in it. They ask, 'Have you been to see God?' I have not been to see God; I abide in God. And I study God in all things: in the stones, in the plants, in the animals, the water, the air and the light.

God is in everything that lives. In the least as well as the greatest, I can see God. I am glad and rejoice when I hear God's small still Voice. My day only has meaning in as far as I can sense His presence in all things.

You will first find God in the least of things - in a crystal, in a wellspring, in a flower - and only then in the greater things.

Do not ask yourself whether God loves you - He has not stopped loving you from the first day to the last - but ask instead whether you love God."

Well, that was it. And if you're sensitive in a spiritual sense this should move you deeply. My strongest wish for humanity is that their awareness of God will awaken.

Last edited:
any god i know doesn't resort to such blatant, vapid propaganda.

Ninae, you are basically summarizing Oneness, which is what I already agree God is.

When I say "direct me to God", I'm mostly referring to the anthropomophized version. If God is perceived as a being then they are just some kind of higher lifeform. If some kind of advanced alien light being showed up on Earth, some might call it a God, but it would just be a different kind of being.

No... God must surely be unity and the absence of duality.

I suppose my view of God is more philosophical than religious, but I have managed to form bridges with atheists by discussing God in this fashion. If you do a logical deduction with most people, they will agree that the universe is infinite, and we are part of it. The leap to Oneness is not far from that, even on a quantum level.

Most atheists seem consciously inclined against the Judeochristian interpretation.

Okay. I basically have the same view, just put into different words.

I just wanted to guide people away from a misdirected form of Atheism. Though this mostly seems to be a result of having no interest or attraction to the idea of a God or spiritual life, and no kind of personal experience that could help to give them proof in a more subjective way. There are also many enough who just want to run wild on this Earth and just do what they want and don't want to deal with the idea that there could be unpleasent consequence, so they just find it more convenient.

There are many who find that God or Jesus are just too demanding and just not something they are able to or interested in living upto. Keep in mind this is also a board with many drug addicts who have done many things they very well know are very wrong, etc. Also, there are many who are simply not spiritual by nature and you can't force them to be.

But I also wanted to get across that God isn't as demanding as we can be made to imagine and nothing like the harsh, punishing God we know from the major religions, which was just as much about keeping people in place and worked as a kind of police force. But those are all human impressions that lead people away from God because God isn't really like that. God is loving, merciful, forgiving, and all-understanding. Don't people think God understands what it's like to live as a human on Earth or that this is beyond his comprehension?

I will also tell you one thing - I once got hold of a very rare book describing how Jesus was bothered by the idea of the harsh and merciless God that was repesented in the religion he grew up in, because it was nothing like the God he knew from within. But as he was travelling the world and studying the ancient scriptures (scriptures that aren't in existence anymore, after the burning down of the library of Alexandria, etc. so we'll never know what was in them) HE GRADUALLY STARTED GETTING A GLIMPSE OF A MILD FACE. So that was the God he taught about and lived for.

Last edited: