alcoholism thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
myles...how you doing? hope you can comedown a bit. try a glass of water after every drink if you can...add a shake or two of sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice for taste...of course you could just go with some gatorade or powerade...same idea of helping your electorites.

I've taken mariposa's idea of just hitting the beer/cider and it's working for me so far.

db...it's a new week!!!

I over-indulged around the first of the month and a few days after. Then relatively abstinent til yesterday. I want to be able to drink moderately with great enjoyment, but am accepting that for me moderation quickly goes to excess, at least in this stage of my life.

In any event I am OK at the moment, but accepting of abstinence after this supply runs out until my vacation in early June. I've said to others while they are intoxicated to sleep it off and face making the tough decisions in the morning, on this occasion I'm deferring to my own advice.

Re-reading this post may enable wiser deciding tomorrow.

I got another dui in Jan. of this year. I'm not going to state specific numbers but I won't go to prison this time but I will the next...no matter what happens. No more drinking for me...I'm done. Maybe one day far from now I will be able to but...I cant stay away from cars sober so wtf ya know?lol

Well- it sounds like staying away from alcohol is the best option for you..........good choice:)
And Good Luck!
Have you already stopped drinking?
If so, how did you do it?

Well I'm on house arrest from this last one for a while....plus I have a regular P.O. now so, cant drink at all or I go back to jail...ez choice for me...lol. I go to AA meetings and shit, I enjoy em cuz I get out of the house...just knowing how big of a hole I dug myself with money, bills, jail time, all that shit makes me not want to drink anyways...

yeah.....i understand.
from the other side of that though.......my husband got 2 dui's this past winter.
Its really not fun- but we will all survive it- hopefully with lessons learned:)

I can't seem to get out of my way after this weekend...24 hours clean just abandoned for the sweet nectar...now I just want to get a buzz and keep it going and pass out...why do i do this to myself? It's a rhetorical question. back tomorrow...

hard week this week, feeling pretty disappointed in myself that I wasn't able to reach my goal. Guess I still need to do some searching within myself to figure this whole drinking thing...drinking to excess...I might add. I'm "that" person, it's not fun to do...."activity X" without the booze and a buzz, but I know it hasn't always been that way and I just need to recapture that. Starting small again and going to not over indulged this weekend.

I hope everyone out there is doing well and trying to stay as healthy as you want to be.

Been doing okay... wasn't able to drop to 3 though... still stuck on 4.

Had a very very difficult wed to fri. Had to spend it in a pediatric brain trauma unit with a client who ODed on dope and benzos. 17 years old and basically comatose for the rest of her life. Last time I saw her before this I told her that she was playing with some life or death shit (if only I could have been able to tell her I had the same problem when I was her age)...thank god I had good parents. Hers taught her how to run the streets... mom wanted a friend to do drugs with, not to raise a child. Fuck her. I have to look in her face and remain a professional and it is so hard. The whole time I was talking to her (her mom) I kept thinking "I wish I could just package you in a box and send you away".

:(

Other then that thank god its friday. Long week.

Phactor your a good person and that is a bad week.

Better luck for all of us next week.

Phactor your a good person and that is a bad week.

Better luck for all of us next week.

Thank you, that means alot to me. I know I am a good person and I don't want to give the impression that I hate my job. I actually love it, but it can be so difficult sometimes.

Feeling much better today though. Got a little buzzed last night but I was able to chat with some supportive friends which really helped.

I had a serious alcohol problem for 2 years, seizures and all that fun. I'm not a 12 stepper I just had enough. Thing is reading through this thread there are lots of degrees of alcoholism, I was at the leaving las vegas end of the spectrum. It's been two years since I had a drink and I still miss it mainly because you don't feel normal when going out with clients etc. But chronic alcoholism is pretty rare I think (2 plus bottles of spirits a day) and I envy you guys who worry about six beers in a night, that would be my breakfast. Anyway good luck to you guys trying to break the habit, you'll feel brand new!

Have bad withdrawals today. Needed 40mg of valium and a couple of beers just to function. The night before wasn't even that good...I always imagine drinking to be some sort of paradise but it's merely a ruse of my addiction. Yes there have been and are still some wonderful times to be had drinking, but nowadays for me they are few and far between. I tend to black out so easily now and have next to no control over the amount I will drink, even though I enjoy it a lot more if I pace myself, it's a fucking joke. I just need to remember this next time I'm craving like a motherfucker. :p

^^ That's great rainbowdemon! It's always good to hear success stories in this thread :) <3
Any helpful advice/anecdotes to share with people who are struggling with alcohol at the moment??

Have bad withdrawals today. Needed 40mg of valium and a couple of beers just to function. The night before wasn't even that good...I always imagine drinking to be some sort of paradise but it's merely a ruse of my addiction. Yes there have been and are still some wonderful times to be had drinking, but nowadays for me they are few and far between. I tend to black out so easily now and have next to no control over the amount I will drink, even though I enjoy it a lot more if I pace myself, it's a fucking joke. I just need to remember this next time I'm craving like a motherfucker. :p

Awww man, sorry to hear about your bad withdrawals :(
Perhaps it might be time to consider throwing in the towel (so to speak) for good? I know what drinking means to you though (paradise :)) so I know that might not be anything you want to think about, especially at the moment. PM me if you want to talk :) <3

I'm suffering similar hyper-sensitivity effects when I drink now too. The next day (hangover/withdrawals) is so unbearable, I am edging ever more close to giving up drinking FOREVER.

^^ That's great rainbowdemon! It's always good to hear success stories in this thread :) <3
Any helpful advice/anecdotes to share with people who are struggling with alcohol at the moment??

Awww man, sorry to hear about your bad withdrawals :(
Perhaps it might be time to consider throwing in the towel (so to speak) for good? I know what drinking means to you though (paradise :)) so I know that might not be anything you want to think about, especially at the moment. PM me if you want to talk :) <3

I'm suffering similar hyper-sensitivity effects when I drink now too. The next day (hangover/withdrawals) is so unbearable, I am edging ever more close to giving up drinking FOREVER.

Thanks for your post, it means a lot, really does. I'm feeling very alone and shitty today particularly as my girlfriend is a bit upset at me (with reason) for acting like a drunken idiot last night, for example going up to random strangers and asking them to hit me (don't ask!). I can't deal with the twin blow of having upset my love plus the hangover.

I've been pondering the whole giving up issue, but there's no way I want to quit forever. I'm thinking of making it a twice a year type thing though, no more. GBL is perhaps the answer to my problems...I was sobre from all drugs except benzos for like five months and it was shit, doesn't help that I have chronic fatigue as well of course.

I'm truly sorry you're getting the whole withdrawal thing as well. Sadly it seems once you're getting withdrawals there's no turning back, most people make a choice between all out alcoholism and abstinence, both of which are hard, fucked up ways of living. How is your drinking going recently though? I seem to remember that you had cut down quite a lot.

*hugs*
Check your PMs :)

In reply to your question though, I'm doing okay man, I'm doing okay.
I don't drink through the week (although a few weeks ago I slipped up and went back to drinking every day again, it's just SO MUCH EASIER THAT WAY!) but I haven't had anything to drink on a weeknight for the last couple of weeks....if that makes sense.

The weekends are a constant battle though. As soon as Friday afternoon comes around, IT'S ON. It's bloody hopeless. I still drink myself stupid all weekend, gain back the 2-3kg I lost through the week from exercising and being healthy, and then feel totally shitty about myself Monday and Tuesday 8)

Good ol' vicious cycle.

I don't drink through the week (although a few weeks ago I slipped up and went back to drinking every day again, it's just SO MUCH EASIER THAT WAY!)...
Good ol' vicious cycle.

Amen to that .. My old drug habit is back in force, just doesn't cut it these days, so I start drinking most every day, even though I still loathe alcohol and can't afford to be drinking right now.

I really don't know how I'm ever going to get sober @ this point .. I count up the years, examine my broken attention span/intelligence, and see nothing redeeming in the future or sober life, all of which makes me suicidal, but I instead defer to continued substance abuse as self-medication, even as I know such health-destruction just compounds the misery.
Vicious cycle indeed.

Last edited:
*hugs*
Check your PMs :)

In reply to your question though, I'm doing okay man, I'm doing okay.
I don't drink through the week (although a few weeks ago I slipped up and went back to drinking every day again, it's just SO MUCH EASIER THAT WAY!) but I haven't had anything to drink on a weeknight for the last couple of weeks....if that makes sense.

The weekends are a constant battle though. As soon as Friday afternoon comes around, IT'S ON. It's bloody hopeless. I still drink myself stupid all weekend, gain back the 2-3kg I lost through the week from exercising and being healthy, and then feel totally shitty about myself Monday and Tuesday 8)

Good ol' vicious cycle.

Hey n3o, you're still doing pretty well and showing considerable constraint and self control if you're staying sober all week!!! I have the opposite drinking pattern at the moment; drinking every weeknight because well work and life are getting me down and it's all I look forward to in the evenings, and sparsely on the weekend because I allow myself to indulge in worse habits %)

I'm convinced heavy drinking over the last couple of years has had more of an impact on my memory, attention span, mental abilities in general, than the decade of drug use preceeding it. I could use some advice too from others in this thread with success stories.

I'm convinced heavy drinking over the last couple of years has had more of an impact on my memory, attention span, mental abilities in general, than the decade of drug use preceeding it.

My partner and I agree 100% on this!! We have discussed it many times.

Alcohol is the DEVIL :X

Status
Not open for further replies.