• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 7.0

yah trying to catch my self hate talk...and try not thinking about the past .

Self care.
Gym
Eating better
Beach
Meeting 5 times a week
Reading postive text in morning

Hey that's better than most! What do you do during the day mostly? Like the meat of the day, as they say. Sorry, I'm a curious guy by nature. And this cat's not dead yet! [not nearly]

I'm required to do 5 hours of intensive out patient classes like yoga,harp therapy,brain science,relapse prevention etc. From 9-3 then go to the gym then meeting and dinner then chill then bed

I totally agree with you.

By powerlessness I don't mean that someone that drinks is powerless or weak/sick. I believe that most of people who has a drinking problem are often in a tough spot over a toast of champagne or whatever. I feel that once you can't limit yourself to a glass of wine and be okay with it, something is wrong. Or whenever you socialize at work and end up drunk every time and eternally regretful on the following day.

If I used when I was truly powerless over it, even after bouts of sobriety it ended up the same way....losing everything to the needle (including the respect of myself and everyone around me), being homeless, and being so freaking desperate that every morning I woke up I wanted to end it with an overdose. I can make this promise though: Once you have a belief structure that works to keep you on the straight and narrow you may be able to use just once...but the thoughts and feelings it elicits are not worth the trouble considering it will take some mental gymnastics not to go back.

yah trying to catch my self hate talk...and try not thinking about the past .

Self care.
Gym
Eating better
Beach
Meeting 5 times a week
Reading postive text in morning

Sounds like your doing a lot better. Life cannot be all recovery all the time though. What do you do that turns you on and makes the other things seem less boring? What do you look forward to?

My favorite form of self care is often found in the sound of LOUD fucking MUSIC and green grass festival fields. Every one is greener, and the grass is always so to another's eyes. I have to remind myself that I need to be grateful for what I have, but it is easy to be grateful to be grateful when your grateful, or something like that :\

Toothpastedog, you are truly a wise man living in a crazy world. I use mind numbing music everyday and that my therapy. Sure I have a therapist but that's my thing. Real loud Rage against the Machine. After that I feel like I can do anything. And I agree with Manboychef life cannot be full time recovery. At least not for me. I need to let my hair down and rock out. Time and a place for everything. You dudes are awesome!!

Sounds like your doing a lot better. Life cannot be all recovery all the time though. What do you do that turns you on and makes the other things seem less boring? What do you look forward to?

Good point, indeed.
I had always underestimated this important need to have a hobby or go crazy sometimes. I thought that'd have been a piece of cake once all sobriety check lists were met. Besides, I had always been an avid traveller, and thought I'd continued with my adventures, but as unbelievable as it may sound that ended up being a challenge. For some it comes naturally.

Doing things you love and having fun with that should be reinforced as much as doing exercises and have a healthy life. It could be loud music, singing in the rain lol, movies, archery, whatever suits you.. if all of your life is around and about recovery at some point life will be all grey and ironically, 'playing by the book' as if your life were a part of your job description, can make you bored and sad, which are the very same reasons we start getting high.

Hobbies, activities, and interests are absolutely necessary for a healthy recovery. It is so important to engage life on many levels. If you stay singularly focused on staying sober and other obligations you will eventually burn out and risk depression and anxiety.

I like to go to the beach and get tossed around by the waves

And sing

Good deal. This will keep you from being a dry drunk. Yeah you may not be drinking, but are far from sober if you are a dry drunk. I remember when I was going to meetings there were so many miserable people that had many years sober. They used the big book to bash in your ideas about life.

I love to sing! Similarly to how I love to write. Probably more the latter, but sometimes singing just feels so, so, so good. Especially when I just don't give a shit what anyone else things and get lost in a melody I love.

I quit for 16 years. Not a teaspoonful. Now I'm back on it, worse than ever. If I have money in my pocket, it's off to the liquor store.

I really don't want to quit, though its had numerous downsides...last year I threw up/crapped out about a third of my blood supply cause the vodka ate away my stomach lining.

I don't wish to discourage anyone from getting sober. But, I sure don't. If I had some money I'd be trashed now.

I never could understand alcohol. I have an old friend who can sit and pound back beers and wake up and function "totally" fine, where as half a beer makes me feel sick. I want to understand, but I'm starting to realize that maybe there isn't anything worthwhile for me to be looking for there. I move on in my life. That never really was myself. I need to just be myself. The weird one :)

I quit for 16 years. Not a teaspoonful. Now I'm back on it, worse than ever. If I have money in my pocket, it's off to the liquor store.

I really don't want to quit, though its had numerous downsides...last year I threw up/crapped out about a third of my blood supply cause the vodka ate away my stomach lining.

I don't wish to discourage anyone from getting sober. But, I sure don't. If I had some money I'd be trashed now.

Fasteddie -

What made you start drinking again if you don't mind me asking? 16 years is a long time which makes your situation very unique imo. I'm really curious and am not judging. It's a personal decision with no right or wrong answer.

I struggled for seven years to quit. The most time I could even rack up was a year tops. This last time was different and I finally have over two years. In that time I haven't had so much as a craving for booze though I wonder if they may return someday...

I would love to hear your thoughts.

I go thru same worried. I've racked up 3 years without s drink and I didn't do a thing. The obsession to drink is gone and my biggest fear is if it could leave that quick, how bout it comiming back. What if I wake u one day and the urge is back? It's a fear. But I have a good support system and medical issues I'd like to think I won't take that drink. I think we must keep our guard up. But don't worry about such things anymore!

Hobbies, activities, and interests are absolutely necessary for a healthy recovery. It is so important to engage life on many levels. If you stay singularly focused on staying sober and other obligations you will eventually burn out and risk depression and anxiety.

Yup, depression and anxiety on top of missing all the fun part!
Getting there ;)

That's fantastic and scary at the same time. I know a lot of people who is sober for a long time but haven't really talked to anyone that managed it for 16 years. I believe that perhaps there's an age factor that prevents certain type of people to go back to drugs or hard core meds. At some point the body can't take it anymore. (?)

How old were you when you relapsed? Why don't you want to stop again?
Don't mean to be intrusive just interested.

I'd like to stay on the hobby point. It's so important to get one. I'm lucky I love guitar but it has t come from a place of love and yu will never get sad or depressed doing it. We lost enough drink inking. This is he we get it back