• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

I did it once while un-employed, without a car, stuck at the house all day. ugh(was living on an indian reservation to,lol...sorry stereotype, but it is a problem there). Got me drunk but definetly not reccomended!!!! Gross menthol hicups. Don't do it... I would reccomend a LOW DOSE of DXM for a drunk feeling. I don't like high doses cuz of the itching but low doses give you a drunk feeling and ya feel happy and bouncy. Better than mouthwash for sure. Just start low if ya do it and don't make it a regular thing.

Yeah, I've done it a couple of times too in moments of desperation. It's not worth it. Definitely was not a pleasant drunk and like skull said, leaves you with gross menthol hiccups.

Tried it one time, I took a gulp and then promptly threw it right back up. If you can't get normal alcohol go for vanilla extract it's about the same strength as vodka

Ive drank yellow listerine before, the original. I know the mint is supposedly worse. The yellow listerine deffinstely got me a buzz and i knew an old guy who strictly drank it, and that is actually how i knew which kind to get. If you INSIST on it i suggest the yellow, but you are much better off getting some alcohol that is meant for drinking lol.

As all have said you will get nasty hiccups all night long but IME it also gives you a case of horrible shits. If you are this far down the road it's time to keep on going right up to the front door of a detox. I'm sorry to say but the party is already over for you brother. I mean think of what you would have told yourself 5 years ago if someone asked you if drinking mouthwash before a party is cool.
The fun is gone man,please get help!!!!!!

dont drink denatured alcohol. most of the reasons are above. DXM is easily attainable and cheap. its also kinda better than alcohol. dont go overboard of course or you will be tripping at some party. the DM kind with antihistamine - not expectorant - is best, and itching isnt such a problem. depending on transportation, waiting till you get there would be wise.

The sorbitol will give you mad diahrrea...not fun. In the cool mint kind that is. The original gold kind doesn't have it, but still not meant to be drank.

Last edited:
Please don't drink mouthwash - you will feel gross for the rest of the day, and it's hell on your body. If you're that desperate, try vanilla extract or go purchase cooking wine - they don't usually card for that. I've drank vanilla extract in the past in desparate times and didn't have issues.

The only reason you should ever drink mouthwash is if you are in a situation where death could occur due to lack of alcohol and again, only if the alcohol is safe for consumption. Even still, you should just go to the emergency department if you are in dire straits due to alcohol withdrawal.

If you are thinking about drinking mouthwash you need to take a deep breath and think. I don't preach to people without good reason for doing so, but if you are drinking mouthwash just for a buzz, you need help. Something is not right with you mentally/emotionally and you need to get help before you seriously hurt yourself.

I am so embarrassed to say that I have drank mouthwash before. I had a moderate alcohol dependency and woke up in the middle of the night with "the fear". Alcohol withdrawal can be terrifying and can really make you think that you're going to die, but I still kick myself for being so careless with my health.

There's no real way to put a harm reduction spin on the drinking of mouthwash. The only safe thing is to advise against it.

Hi, guys. New here but I used to post a lot years ago :)

Has anyone had their response to alcohol suddenly change quite dramatically?

Before:
> typically drank 1-2 times per week
> three pints on a work night would get me fun and buzzed and I would sober up before bed
> on a night out, 8-10 pints easily and I would feel great, sober before bed and fine the next day
> excellent memory and recall of the night
> euphoria and generally good mood
> talkative, sociable
> first drink would kick in very fast and have a sharp response curve, had to keep drinking ~4 units per hour to avoid coming down

Basically, it was great!

After:
> Four pints is a big deal, won't sober up until the morning
> no quick come-on, very slow response
> sense of low energy and sluggishness
> terrible memory of the night
> one beer on a work night and I feel messy until bed

This switch happened very suddenly, from one week to the next. At this time I experienced quite a severe bout of food poisoning while in a third-world country. I didn't eat for 52 hours or so, and was pretty wrecked. I felt fine within a few more days, though. This happened six months ago.

It may be a coincidence, but I am thinking that maybe something changed in my digestive system as a result of the illness that has so radically changed my response to alcohol. What do you think? Has anyone had this happen (and so suddenly) without a coinciding illness or other event?

Thanks for any ideas,

Maybe your liver was damaged by the food poison? Also I've heard that as you move through the stages of alcoholism there is a loss of tolerance at some point. Not saying that's you, but just a thought...

Maybe your liver was damaged by the food poison? Also I've heard that as you move through the stages of alcoholism there is a loss of tolerance at some point. Not saying that's you, but just a thought...

Yes it's possible it was just bound to happen sooner or later? I didn't drink anything until I was 25 and then the last few years it had great effects. I'm 31 now, maybe I just experienced what most people do at the age of 20, haha - but a decade too late.

bump, any other ideas at all? Even if it's just to say that this has NOT happened to you at some point, would help me to identify it as something abnormal and unnecessary.

Also sounds like it could simply be your tolerance changing. The food poisoning might have been a catalyst for tolerance changing. Take a break from drinking for a few weeks and see what happens.

I have used and abused a great number of substances over the years.

I always seem to reach a point where the effects of the drugs change on me. Usually the good effects become less and the side effects become more pronounced, though it's more than that; it's like both my body and brain somehow just process and react to the substance differently. Maybe it's related to some kind of long term changes that happen with repeated exposure... I have no idea.

Time away from the drug usually doesn't help much. I usually just have to accept that the drug is no longer for me; the honeymoon and following marital bliss is essentially over... It's time for a divorce.

This may not be what's going on with you, perhaps its related to your digestive tract, liver, your food poisoning episode, etc. It could simply be tolerance and things will go back to normal with a long break. Who knows. But you may have to just accept the fact that alcohol just effects you differently now. If a tolerance break doesn't work then you may have to accept that it's just time to move on...

Last edited:
I have used and abused a great number of substances over the years.

I always seem to reach a point where the effects of the drugs change on me. Usually the good effects become less and the side effects become more pronounced, though it's more than that; it's like both my body and brain somehow just process and react to the substance differently. Maybe it's related to some kind of long term changes that happen with repeated exposure... I have no idea.

Time away from the drug usually doesn't help much. I usually just have to accept that the drug is no longer for me; the honeymoon and following marital bliss is essentially over... It's time for a divorce.

This may not be what's going on with you, perhaps its related to your digestive tract, liver, your food poisoning episode, etc. It could simply be tolerance and things will go back to normal with a long break. Who knows. But you may have to just accept the fact that alcohol just effects you differently now. If a tolerance break doesn't work then you may have to accept that it's just time to move on...

Indeed, I am going to explore other social drugs. I have tripped many times but mostly on my own and alcohol is the only drug I've ever used (successfully) for regular socilaising. I will have to try others.

I will try and make this as succinct as possible

Introduction: I used to use this site when I was in active heroin/benzo addiction. Just dunno my login anymore...

Former habit, prior to hospitalized detox

I received this every month,
thanks Doc...- 15 75mcg fentanyl patches
- 90 30mg IR oxycodone
- 90 5mg diazepam
- 30 1mg lorazepam
- 30 0.5mg clonazepam
- 90 50mg Fioricet

Point being --- that coupled with 1-2gr dope (intranasal) a day & God only knows how many extra benzos I acquired from elsewhere... I know what WD is like....

BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM ALCOHOL
I'm a 26yo male. I weigh about 170lb and I'm 5'11".
Overall, I am in good health. No history of seizures, nor renal/hepatic issues. Despite my drinking I eat fairly well.

My drinking started 10 months ago, and its slowly gotten worse and worse. I have drank ~95% of the days since I started.

I have tried multiple tactics to curb it, some with success, and others not so much.

--->
This is my (on avg) daily consumption of alcohol within the past FOUR months <---

A 1.75L of Bombay (a type of gin, 47% alcohol) lasts about 48 hours, and 72 hours if I'm really trying. I always eat when I drink.
I would have to down a Fifth in a few hours to actually get drunk.

Current Medication that I actually take
- 8-12 mg Subutex
- 1-2mg of lorazepam
- 1mg of clonazepam
^^ My Rx'd dose of all 3 medications is at least 2x, sometimes 3x higher than that.
I've purposely been "stocking up" to try and drastically reduce/quit drinking, as I know Klonopin is used to treat epilepsy.

No, my doctor doesn't know that I'm drinking --- fuckin obviously. No, I cannot ask for Antabuse.
Subutex has saved my life and I'm terrified to jeopardize that.

A friend gave me 25 3mg Xanax (ER) to try and help me to drastically reduce/quit drinking.

When I went to detox (for the insane amount of benzos I was RX'd & getting on the side) I experienced the DT's. I was delirious for 8 straight days.
The MD's said once you've experienced DT's once you are much more likely to experience it again.

QUESTION

With my extra supply of Ativan (roughly 15mg), Klonopin (roughly 20mg) and 75mg of Xanax - can I do this at home?
Would you try to do this?
My intention is NOT to go CT. Im terrified of having the DT's again. Just DRASTICALLY reduce my intake and ultimately QUIT.

I'm a grad student, and CANNOT go to inpatient detox for the sake of school/my family...

I know the post was long - I just wanted to post all the relevant information possible.

Please provide your suggestions / advice

Just be honest...

Thank you in advance,
Nick

I'd honestly recommend in patient detox since you're no stranger to it. Should be a cake walk that way as you'll likely be putting yourself in danger detoxing alone

Get yourself some antipsychotics and you should be ok. I did this at home but I had to increase my benzo dosage 3x my usual dose for the first 2 or 3 days. Then I would eat as healthily as I could and seroquel myself to sleep. Sleep deprivation hallucinations suck. Weed helps a lot too.

Stay hydrated, take l-theanine if you have some, taurine 1gram 3x a day, potassium and magnesium and B vitamins. If you are adamant about doing the detox at home, try and see if you can have a friend to stick around or check up on you for the first few days. Seems like you have plenty of comfort meds.