• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

Really, don't. The alcohol isn't denatured (no firm would ever get a licence to sell a medicinal product, containing methanol, that could be swallowed), it's much worse. Sodium fluoride is as toxic to red blood cells, as sodium cyanide is to all the other cells in your body (and you really need functioning red blood cells). So, a good gutful of Listerine (or equiv mouthwash) can put enough fluoride ions into your body for you to asphyxiate, even though you can fill your lungs with air...

What is the mechanism of RBC toxicity? Does it have anything to do with phosphatase inhibition?

I don't think the old yellow formulation of listerine has any fluoride in it, but they definitely have some thymol. Perhaps that is behind the different buzz described by @D's given that thymol is somewhat GABAergic, menthol too.

This whole thread is insane. Wow, just wow.

Hey, no judgement bro!

Alcoholism is a real bitch. I would love to sit here and say "it's just too dangerous, don't do it", but anyone who has experienced Alcohol will tell you that they could and would go to extreme lengths for relief. Hell, I've drank mouthwash solely for the purpose of getting fucked up if I'm being truly honest. I've drank regular old Listerine with none of the "fancy stuff" and I've drank Crest Complete Protection - Plus Whiteneing Deluxe. The straight(er) Ethyl Alcohol stuff is preferable in terms of stomach discomfort. This was a total of maybe three different occasions, so I can't speak to any kind of continued usage.

The problem here is that there are a lot of different formulations out there. If we're talking about just drinking Listerine, people do it all the time. It's not something that I think anyone would ever advise in any sort of long-term manner, but plenty of drunks have drank mouthwash and are still breathing. That's all I can really say in terms of Harm Reduction.

Hey, no judgement bro!

Alcoholism is a real bitch. I would love to sit here and say "it's just too dangerous, don't do it", but anyone who has experienced Alcohol will tell you that they could and would go to extreme lengths for relief. Hell, I've drank mouthwash solely for the purpose of getting fucked up if I'm being truly honest. I've drank regular old Listerine with none of the "fancy stuff" and I've drank Crest Complete Protection - Plus Whiteneing Deluxe. The straight(er) Ethyl Alcohol stuff is preferable in terms of stomach discomfort. This was a total of maybe three different occasions, so I can't speak to any kind of continued usage.

The problem here is that there are a lot of different formulations out there. If we're talking about just drinking Listerine, people do it all the time. It's not something that I think anyone would ever advise in any sort of long-term manner, but plenty of drunks have drank mouthwash and are still breathing. That's all I can really say in terms of Harm Reduction.
I'm not judging, the thing I despise the most is prejudice. I was just shocked at what extreme someone can reach to get drunk. In fact, there was this guy I met in rehab who drank methanol a couple of times and went blind. It always made me sad to see him smoking his fag, and he was the grandchild of a very fsmous histórical person in my country. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not judging, the thing I despise the most is prejudice. I was just shocked at what extreme someone can reach to get drunk. In fact, there was this guy I met in rehab who drank methanol a couple of times and went blind. It always made me sad to see him smoking his fag, and he was the grandchild of a very fsmous histórical person in my country. 🤷‍♂️

Oh I know man. I'm only joking. I am right there with you. I've seen many people destroyed by plain old Alcohol.

Oh I know man. I'm only joking. I am right there with you. I've seen many people destroyed by plain old Alcohol.
Methanol though is highly toxic. The guy only drank it like 3 times and went blind. It's incredible how desperate someone can get thst you drink whatever u can get ahold to just get drunk for a while. I have sympathy for alcoholics bcs I'm one too, tbh after heroin....it's the best drug if u want to numb all ur emotions, problems and makes u feel good.

Methanol though is highly toxic. The guy only drank it like 3 times and went blind. It's incredible how desperate someone can reach thst point to judtvget drunk for a while. I have sympathy for alcoholics bcs I'm one too, tbh after heroin....it's the best drug if u want to numb all ur emotions, problems and makes u feel good.

Me too buddy. Opioids were always my thing, but Alcohol was always present too.

What is the mechanism of RBC toxicity? Does it have anything to do with phosphatase inhibition?
To be honest, I just remembered the lecturer mentioning fluoride toxicity acting on RBCs (probably something to do with their lack of a nucleus). After a bit searching, it appears fluoride ions cause premature death and reduced production of RBCs. Found little about it's mechanism of action, but it is nephrotoxic and that is because of it's action on adenosine cyclase (it was over 30 years ago and I've forgotten a lot: well that and potentially dementia from fuck knows how many assorted, weird drugs!).

Well for me it would be 7 beers at 5%, which is 124.25ml of ethanol, which would be like 310ml of vodka.

Dang thats more than I thought when i add it up that way. Its what I try to limit myself to every night. Also take ~4g of phenibut every night at around 8pm.

Never really drink during the day, its a gross and dirty sort of dissociative feeling.
But you still drink every night?

I find it to be a nice euphoric buzz. Although the hangover sucks.

I typically use cans as the doseage.
1 can of kopperberg = 300ml of 4% abv = about 1.3 uk alcoholic units.

It is not recommended to have more than 14 units a week.

I consume about 4 cans on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So that's about 12 cans a week. So that's 30 something units a week.

So that's equivalent to about a 0.15 litres of pure ethanol a week. 150ml

I don't measure it really. But likely a dozen shots of vodka a day or more.

Somehow it depends on what I drink. If I stick to wine I’m fine with 1,5l 10% (150ml) but every time I bought hard liquor 0,7l 40% I almost finish the whole bottle (~250ml). Usually I get the bill next morning.

unfortunately til i black out and then some more

i usually drink on an empty stomach to maximise.

i'll start with a couple of tins of G&T, then have an oranjeboom black or 2, then move onto more sensible beers. i don't know how much that adds up to but its not good.

Please don't drink mouthwash bro. Think hard - there has to be some other option. Even in the depths of my alcoholism I don't think I could've done that.

Do you have access to any benzos. Take benzos until you can get proper drinking alcohol again. They'll protect you from seizures.

When I was an alcoholic, I found alcohol to be very euphoric (which may be why I got addicted). It took me about 18x375ml full strength beers to reach the euphoria, but it was quite amazing. Similar to opiates for me - but with a grungey side as well.

The problem is the next morning after 18x375ml full strength beers is the farthest thing from euphoria. Plus drinking at that level WILL kill you early. If only it wasn't so cheap compared to much better drugs.

So yes it's euphoric, but it's also a poison. The cons outweigh the pros very very quickly - but by that time you can't stop :(

I used to drink on speed very regularly (early 2000's when speed was the thing - b4 ice/shard). It made me able to drink so much more and remain lucid. I'm sure it contributed to me developing alcoholism. Dexamphetamine and Ritalin had the same effect.

In hindsight, it probably brings you closer to death from alcohol poisoning without realising it. They do synergise well though.

As others have said, when your liver starts failing you get drunker easier. This is one of the latest stages of alcoholism. If this could be you, go to the doctor and get a quit plan put in place NOW.