• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Adderall and Wellbutrin: would I be okay?

Frosty1

Bluelighter
Alright, keeping it short and simple. I’ve been prescribed bupropion (150mg) by my psychiatrist and have been on it for almost a week, and am coming from a tolerance break from adderall (1-2months). Usually I’d take 30-60mg per night and do this for two nights every other week. My question is this. Would I be okay with taking my normal dose at around 9am for work and come home at 7pm to take my adderall dose for homework use? Should I start with a lower dose? Or can I start with my 30mg for the night?

Bupropion can increase the blood level of amphetamines. The combination can also lead to a higher risk of seizures. Given you have not taken the Bupropion for more than a week and have not taken Adderall for 1 to 2 months i would advise a healthy amount of caution. I would definitely suggest taking less than you're usual recreational dose of Adderall (maybe by half or more even) if you are going to combine the two. I would say you're safest bet besides avoiding amphetamines in general would be to wait until you have been on Bupropion for longer.

Bupropion can increase the blood level of amphetamines. The combination can also lead to a higher risk of seizures. Given you have not taken the Bupropion for more than a week and have not taken Adderall for 1 to 2 months i would advise a healthy amount of caution. I would definitely suggest taking less than you're usual recreational dose of Adderall (maybe by half or more even) if you are going to combine the two. I would say you're safest bet besides avoiding amphetamines in general would be to wait until you have been on Bupropion for longer.
Alright that’s sounds good, but would mind explaining why should wait longer? Or if anything how long should I wait.

Alright that’s sounds good, but would mind explaining why should wait longer? Or if anything how long should I wait.
I suggest waiting longer so your tolerance to the Bupropion increases to decrease the chances of there being an uncomfortable and or serious interaction. As to how long to wait, unfortunately I'm unsure. You could ask your doctor how long it will take to get used to the medication and make an estimate based on that possibly?

Well if it means anything me and my entire family has never had a seizure, and my tolerance to amps or even stimulants to be high naturally. I asked my doctor and he said anywhere from 2-3 weeks should be showing results. Obviously I’ll take what your saying with a grain of salt, but would I be okay if i just split my 30mg dose and take it for the entire night?

I cant say for sure you'd be completely fine. When mixing drugs that interact in ways that can be serious there is always uncertainty. If you're going to take the Adderall definitely err on the side of caution. Listen to your body if things start feeling off and make sure you're hydrated.

I actually was prescribed both of these medicationsy at the same time even though there is a drug alert hit on the drugs.com database I don’t want to say you’d be fine because you never know I’ll say I was fine taking wellbutruin and using vyvanse adderall Ritalin Dextroamphetamine taking them by mouth and snorting them but I also was taking Xanax and opiods at the same time which probably lessened the likelihood of me having a seizure so there’s the info I have

I actually was prescribed both of these medicationsy at the same time even though there is a drug alert hit on the drugs.com database I don’t want to say you’d be fine because you never know I’ll say I was fine taking wellbutruin and using vyvanse adderall Ritalin Dextroamphetamine taking them by mouth and snorting them but I also was taking Xanax and opiods at the same time which probably lessened the likelihood of me having a seizure so there’s the info I have
I’ve def had my fare share of abuse with stims and amps, taking as much as 200mg in one night. So I’m definitely comfortable with adderall, but all I need this for is just the focus and motivation; do you think if I just take a low dose of adderall I should be fine?

Yes
sorry I’m so late to reply you probably took it already
a little adderall just to give you some extra motivation on top of the wellbututrin the only thing is increased agitation and risk for serotonin syndrome first one isnt noticeable really and the second is super rare
you’re all good 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes
sorry I’m so late to reply you probably took it already
a little adderall just to give you some extra motivation on top of the wellbututrin the only thing is increased agitation and risk for serotonin syndrome first one isnt noticeable really and the second is super rare
you’re all good 😊
Well good thing I haven’t taken, and I’m sorry for being persistent, just a lil paranoid, but would I be okay with taking around 60mg for the entire day/night. Or should I just skip the Wellbutrin. Gotta get a lot of homework done and the call the psychiatrist made with Wellbutrin isn’t working.

Well good thing I haven’t taken, and I’m sorry for being persistent, just a lil paranoid, but would I be okay with taking around 60mg for the entire day/night. Or should I just skip the Wellbutrin. Gotta get a lot of homework done and the call the psychiatrist made with Wellbutrin isn’t working.
Skip the Wellbutrin just so you feel better about it and you dont have psycho somatic symptoms but in reality It doesn’t matter if you skip the Wellbutrin that much overall because you have a therapeutic level built up in your system. Skipping it will take down the levels slightly and therefore lower the risk of adverse effects slightly.
Many drugs have the same interaction profile suboxone and Prozac for example; serotonin syndrome.
not to downplay the risk profile I just want to put it in perspective

and I wanted to add better to be a lil paranoid then careless
careless is how disasters happen

What’s your opinion on weed? I usually smoke towards the end of my trip so I can ride out my comedown and sleep. Would smoking increase any other sides effects? Or lessen it.

What’s your opinion on weed? I usually smoke towards the end of my trip so I can ride out my comedown and sleep. Would smoking increase any other sides effects? Or lessen it.
cannabis is just one of those things it effects so many people in so many different ways

cannabis be great
cannabis can be horrible
cannabis can treat insomnia, or cause it
cannabis can cause anxiety, or treat anxiety
cannabis can contribute to serotonin syndrome
cannabis can cause pain, or treat it
cannabis can cause psychosis
cannabis can treat depression
cannabis, blah blah blah

it's a very subjective thing, tolerance has a lot to say in it, everyone is different

personally, cannabis seems to be a bad thing in my life in the last few years, especially after so many drugs/medications... it usually causes more problems than it fixes in me, these days... I had to put it down... and I smoked it every day for 15 years... used to love the shit... but it changed on me

I see, it is nice to know that, I have a pretty heavy tolerance to weed as it is right now and the Wellbutrin really doesn’t seem to be affecting it (maybe just a slight lack a motivation to smoke and when I do smoke, I get a calm focused high). With adderall and weed all it does to me is make a stoned-high-energetic-slight adhd person; but nothing that’s not fun to me lmao (only done towards the end of my night). I think I’m going to start with 15mg and would want to redose depending on how it goes. Can I do another 15mg 2-3hrs later?

Sativa; more activating and makes people prone to paranoia paranoid
indica and indica dominate hybrid more relaxing more sedating high
I can’t smoke anything but an indica or indica dominant because I have chronic pain and for years smoking was like a Russian roulette until I figured out what was going on. Of course my dumb ass never was like maybe I’ll stop smoking because that was apparently never even on the table as an option
I only learn the hard way
it’s a character trait of mine, some might say flaw
I think if weed is your thing and you smoke it nonstop and mix it with everything as I did it’s not a problem
are you snorting the 15s if so you metabolize them faster ?

ok so if you are taking them by mouth at 3 hours you should be peaking at max stimulation so judge how you feel rate it on a scale
then cut the pill and take a piece of it if you still feel the effects but want to feel more

if you are snorting it the effect comes and goes faster so see how you feel rate it and chop it and do a line or so see how you feel rate it. You want start rating how you feel anyway so you can gage where you are coming up or down so you can safely know when to layer on more and how much and see if you feel like the wellbutriin is changing the quality of your experience ie; agitation a headache etc

regardless I wouldn’t jump right to another whole fifteen (unless you snorted the last one and feel nothing) you can intro it slowly by 5mg increments without compromising your safety or your high

Last edited by a moderator:
Would bupropion cause me to become more sensitive to the adderall and give me a stronger trip? Or would did this kinda do nothing and make the adderall stay longer and build up in me?

It’s true that many people have a (unmeasurable) natural predisposition or resistance to seizures but apart from people with known conditions like epilepsy they, like strokes, psychosis, and heart attacks, frequently happen to people for the first time one day when they take the same dosage/combination they always have. Or in some cases even less.

If somebody already takes borderline redline levels of something (which varies by person of course) I think the advice should always be DO NOT add something else scientifically proven to significantly increase risk of any of the things mentioned above.

One thing about bupropion is that the bioavailability from oral dosing is very low (only around 5 % if I recall correctly) because 95 % of it is metabolised in the liver on the first pass.

However intra-nasal avoids first pass metabolisation and some hypothesise that you might get 80 % + of the dose compared to 5 % from just taking the tabs.

However: this not a recommendation to snort because chance of seizure is highly dose dependent and multiplied by co-consumption of most amps. Many medical reports of buproprian seizure indicate snorting involved.

Well in that case if I really want to take both, considering I also don’t take that much bupropion to being with (only taking it orally) and taking enough adderall (orally) in order to stay focused and motivated for 6-7+ hrs. Would that be okay?