Votes: 22 14.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 65 42.2%

• Total voters
i liked some of the acting, but nothing apart from that

one other one sided movie about drugs
makes me think of the anti-drug propaganda that only talks about supposedly catastrophic effects of drugs and lets you wonder "if it's that bad and only bad, why do people take them?"

since it's a fictional drug, it can very well be as bad as described in the movie, but then they should have tried to explain a process leading to addiction
you don't take a drug because you want to turn crazy and see bugs everywhere
that makes no sense without further explanation
it reminds me of "altered states", in which the guy wants to take muscaria again, but every time he's on it, it shows him freaking out and almost suffering

i'm really waiting for a movie that would objectively talk about drugs, and show all the benefits they can bring to people

damn it. aus released push back as far at november 30

don't worry tam. i got a copy. Aint the best quality but it's good enough.

I just saw it and was dissapointed. Apart from the animation it wasn't a memorable film. AS was said before in this thread, it doesn't show realistic drug use other than the negative effects of addiction. I can understand this viewpoint having had my share of meth dependance and paranoia, once you're out of the tunnel you don't really care to portray drugs in romantic light, or even present a complete viewpoint on the subject. You can only look back in disgust at the wasted oppounities and the friends lost along the way, I see where Dick is coming from, but the film promised so much more and you are left with a feeling of dissapointment when it ends.

note before... xanax n alcohol induced response...

i was really looking forward to this but i'm actually pretty disappointed after viewing. if it truly is an accurate adaptation of his book (haven't read) then i can see why his other works were put on the big screen first. it has a great amount of underlying issues relevant to the present but they are not fully fleshed out enough as far as i'm concerned. it is quite a boring film actually and the visual style i found was very distracting, a novelty, and it seems to have been utilised purely to jazz up what i feel was a very bare script. i also find it odd that for a film that is essentially very anti-drug it's gimmicky visual style will no doubt be a major bums on seats drawcard for trippers.

2 stars

I just saw this movie for the first time last night. It was a really good copy, a dvd screener, so it was perfect except for the annoying scrolling reminder that it was a screener copy.

I was also on acid when I watched it. I gotta say, I loved this movie, but I can't fully, accurately say how I feel about it because I was on acid when I watched it. I'm left wondering how much of what I was seeing and hearing was actually in the movie, and how much was being hallucinated. I picked up quite an interesting message from the film, but I don't know after reading everyone else's thoughts about this movie if I was watching the movie or off on my own trip.

So I'm gonna watch it again tonight, sober.

No matter what, though, this was an awesome movie, at least while tripping. Because you know how some movies take on completely different meanings when you watch them while tripping! (For me, it's always been Existenz-- that movie is completely different when I watch it while tripping, and it's ALWAYS different, never the same). Now I will find out if it's a good movie when not tripping.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT (even though I don't think I fully understand the movie in the first place, so probably not even a spoiler after all)

NSFW:
Okay so I saw it again... sober this time. And yes, my mind had inserted a whole lot more stuff than what was actually in the movie, when I was tirpping. This time around I could see that Keanu's character was not only an undercover agent, and not only a substance-D user/abuser, but that he was an undercover agent who was trying to bust himself? At least I think that's what was going on?

And the "scanners." I just don't get them. Who are they? Are they just government operatives who sit there and watch videos all day long? What a confounding movie, that made much more sense to me while I was tripping.

For anyone who cares, the message to the movie while tripping is that we, our individualness, in our bodies, are actually agents from beyond this dimension of space/time, and we are playing a role here, like as if we are all a part of a computer program, and the whole of the computer program is affected in real-time by all the actions and reactions that each of the program code strings (us) make. And every once in a while some computer code strings will have moments of self-awareness, where they sit up and say, "Hey, I'm a program code string in a vast computer program," and the rest of the computer program comes to the rescue and saves the whole of existence by bringing that program code string back to the proper reality.

I told you... I was TRIP-PING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
^man, you were OFF GUTS!

anyway, nice one. please make use of the spoiler/nsfw function.

I was really dissapointed with this movie. Maybe because I read the book first. It just seemed really disjointed.

Church said:
NSFW:
Okay so I saw it again... sober this time. And yes, my mind had inserted a whole lot more stuff than what was actually in the movie, when I was tirpping. This time around I could see that Keanu's character was not only an undercover agent, and not only a substance-D user/abuser, but that he was an undercover agent who was trying to bust himself? At least I think that's what was going on?

And the "scanners." I just don't get them. Who are they? Are they just government operatives who sit there and watch videos all day long? What a confounding movie, that made much more sense to me while I was tripping.

For anyone who cares, the message to the movie while tripping is that we, our individualness, in our bodies, are actually agents from beyond this dimension of space/time, and we are playing a role here, like as if we are all a part of a computer program, and the whole of the computer program is affected in real-time by all the actions and reactions that each of the program code strings (us) make. And every once in a while some computer code strings will have moments of self-awareness, where they sit up and say, "Hey, I'm a program code string in a vast computer program," and the rest of the computer program comes to the rescue and saves the whole of existence by bringing that program code string back to the proper reality.

I told you... I was TRIP-PING!!!
JE-SUS! HAhahaha! :D

I'll have whatever you were on!

I just saw it and loved it. The book was brilliant, and while the screenplay was different I thought it was brilliant as well, and the animation was perfect!

BristolRob said:
Has anyone seen A Scanner Darkly? That little blue flower looks familiar. Anyone know if it's meant to be something that exists?
What drugs did Licklater take that he feels messed him and his friends up so much. The list of permanent psychosis and deaths at the end...?

That flower is a plumbago.