Votes: 10 6.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 65 42.2%

• Total voters
i just got this movie for Xmas. i thought it was really good, but it lacked something. I'm sure this movie will be alot better to watch while im tripping face. i liked the acting though..

BristolRob...the blue flowers are supposed to represent the youth movement in german culture. (taken from wiki) also ...
"Philip K. Dick also gives the name of the species of the flower, which helps to show the relevant meaning of the story and the nature of both the drug and the character's struggle. The name is Mors ontologica, which could roughly be translated to "the death of knowledge of existence," "ontological death," or, "death is being itself." (Or perhaps "death of self knowledge.")"

vegan
while i respect your opinion to want to see more movies that show the benefits of drug use, this movie was based off of Dick's personal experience, and being the fabulous storyteller, with the brilliant mind that he had, he brought a piece of his life alive in this piece of fiction. i find it absurd to not like the movie bc it shows how debilitating drugs can be to some.

perhaps you should realize that in the end of the book, dick himself says "drug misuse is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to move out in front of a moving car"

imo..he was not demonizing drugs, nor should you by assuming this story does just that.

that being said. i haven't actually seen the movie yet...big dick fan (hehe) though, so know i will love it. actually waiting on my hubby to come back from the store with it within the hour. more comments then!

I didn't find this movie to be very anti-drug. I got a more orwellion anti-police state vibe from it.

had this movie for a while now but havent yet managed to get round to watching it- need to feel in the right mood to watchertain films- i have quite a few films i havent seen but i ha\ve had for ages, just waiting until the time is right

Well I finally saw this and have to say that it was good and bad...

If you've read and enjoyed the book then you will really like it. I thought it was a good adaptation with a few exceptions.

It was too short! 1.5 hours? They could have added 15 extra minutes and really tied up some loose ends and explained some concepts better.

The technology wasn't explained well enough. I read the novel along time ago so maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that A) the scramble suits were an actual disguise that fooled people in a strange way not just trippy morphing stuff that looked wierd something didn't really translate well visually and B) the scanners were more than just closed circuit monitors, they recorded indisputable, objective, paramount reality which was why it was so fucked when Arctor started seeing weird shit on them and questioning wether or not they saw clearly or "darkly".

I thought those were 2 important plot points that would have made the film much more cohesive. Somebody up there^^^ didn't even know what the scanner was...that's pretty bad they could have communicated that alot better.

Oh and people should know that's it's not so much anti drug as it is anti control and questioning reality (classic PKD). PKD wasn't Hunter Thompson, he wasn't trying to romanticize drugs or anything like that. PKD was crazy as a rat in a tin shitter first and foremost, drugs were a perephial part of his life IMO and his themes are about manipulation, questioning authority and reality. A scanner darkly would have been as effective of a story with no drugs in it at all.

Well, I know this won't be a popular sentiment on a drug message board, but I don't know if I can give this more than a 3. 3 1/2 at best.

I respect what was tried in this movie. Dealing with a futuristic society's problems with a new, crazy drug. And I liked the artistry.

But all in all, I just felt unsatisfied with it at the end. Facts are left up to question, too much confusion.

^^^I dunno, I'm kind of with huntmich here...

I liked it okay, but it's definitely not something I would demand that people go and see; the art was pretty, some of the ideas were interesting, and if I were stoned or tripping I would no doubt get a lot more out of it than I did, but as a film on its own merits? Didn't love it so much.

It wasn't actually bad, it just wasn't so good.

Raz said:

I liked it okay, but it's definitely not something I would demand that people go and see; the art was pretty, some of the ideas were interesting, and if I were stoned or tripping I would no doubt get a lot more out of it than I did, but as a film on its own merits? Didn't love it so much.

watch it stoned. its way better.

Raz said:

I agree. I got bored about 30 mins into it. It just didn't speak to me :\

I'm suprised everyone reviewed this movie so highly! I hated it. Such a boring worthless plot...very disappointing

Absolutely beautiful, off the charts. I rarely give 5 stars but this I would grant a 6 or a 19 if possible. Like nothing I have ever seen. Utterly brilliant. Will elaborate later if neccesary. Busy...

i would like to hear this. It's rare to hear a positive review from you mate.

Were you by any chance, heavily intoxicated on psychedelics during this film?

I'm not saying i didn't like it sober, i really enjoyed it immensely, but not as much as you seem to have.

Last edited:
im surprised theres so many good reviews here...i didnt think it was horrible, but didnt think it was that good either. i was completely disappointed with it. phillip k dick is known for great sci-fi stories. blade runner and total recall each kicked ass. linklater also did a great job on waking life. i didnt really get anything outta this movie, except that it looked trippy and i kinda related to the whole slacker type life. but i definitely recommend watching waking life if you just wanna see a trippy-looking movie, and blade runner for a good sci-fi movie

I think they used too many methaphors... maybe that is why some people didn't get it... anyways, the move was a critic on govt surveillance/ police states.

Ravr said:
I think they used too many methaphors... maybe that is why some people didn't get it... anyways, the move was a critic on govt surveillance/ police states.

Not really a metaphor if its literally about surveillance and police states...

Psychedelic Gleam said:
Not really a metaphor if its literally about surveillance and police states...

The storyline that is what is about, but like most stories they use metaphors to convey their message.

It wasn't enjoyable viewing, however it was interesting. The animation they used was kinda cool at first, it was a bit of a novelty though, i got sick of it before the movie was half way through.

I found it a bit depressing. The film didn't show any of the effects of the drugs being felt, just the paranoia that had resulted from abuse.

What does Substance D do?? The characters swallowed the pills, yet no change in mindstate was shown.

I did like the scene where Keanu's character has a flashback to his life with his family. When he hits his head on the cupboard, get's angry, then realises that he was angry with his life, not the cupboard. I liked the idea that, although his lifestyle as a drug addict had many downsides, there was a sense of excitement, that anything could happen, compared to his old life, where everything was expected.

Haribo: I guess I should have read the book, without those two important parts being explained in the film the message was..empty?

DarthMom said:
BristolRob...the blue flowers are supposed to represent the youth movement in german culture. (taken from wiki) also ...
"Philip K. Dick also gives the name of the species of the flower, which helps to show the relevant meaning of the story and the nature of both the drug and the character's struggle. The name is Mors ontologica, which could roughly be translated to "the death of knowledge of existence," "ontological death," or, "death is being itself." (Or perhaps "death of self knowledge.")"

vegan
while i respect your opinion to want to see more movies that show the benefits of drug use, this movie was based off of Dick's personal experience, and being the fabulous storyteller, with the brilliant mind that he had, he brought a piece of his life alive in this piece of fiction. i find it absurd to not like the movie bc it shows how debilitating drugs can be to some.

perhaps you should realize that in the end of the book, dick himself says "drug misuse is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to move out in front of a moving car"

imo..he was not demonizing drugs, nor should you by assuming this story does just that.

that being said. i haven't actually seen the movie yet...big dick fan (hehe) though, so know i will love it. actually waiting on my hubby to come back from the store with it within the hour. more comments then!

Nice defense of the film (esp. having not seen it at the time!). I would also add that PKD lost a lot of friends to drugs--as clearly communicated in the final text/epitaph of the film before the credits--so I would say he has a valid perspective, and also that the movie is critical of not just the drug lifestyle but of self-narcotized sober suburbia as well.

I understand why some might be annoyed by the rotoscope animation, particularly the scramble suits, however to dismiss it as a “novelty” is to miss a large artistic dimension of the movie, one that visually communicates a great deal of the story’s message and tone--here style is substance. I found the story became “fleshed out” after a repeat SOBER viewing, however it wasn’t nearly as fun. Definitely a grower/cult film. I’d give it 4.5stars, that is, an A- if I could.