• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2014 Brazil World Cup- Join the BL World Cup Pickems!

i'm with undead - spain just got whipped, plain and simple.

a loss that "doesn't matter"? no such thing at this level. this is the biggest stage in soccer and you have 3 games to make your mark in the group stage. costa rica proved yesterday that there are no 100% things and the idea that spain threw their first game to focus on sure-thing wins in their last 2 is laughable.

alasdair

Yep. When you're only playing 3 games to determine whether or not you move on to the knockout stage of the World Cup, no team in the world would be willing to drop points unless it's a sure thing. And when 4 teams are playing 3 group games... there's not enough room for a "sure thing." Especially not when it's the first game that's been played in your group.

Just sat through the whole Iran-Nigeria game out of boredom.. Can't say it was much relieved

Yep. When you're only playing 3 games to determine whether or not you move on to the knockout stage of the World Cup, no team in the world would be willing to drop points unless it's a sure thing. And when 4 teams are playing 3 group games... there's not enough room for a "sure thing." Especially not when it's the first game that's been played in your group.

Not failing to mention points difference will be crucial. Chile are ranked 14 in the world and third in South America. They are no easy beats particularly at "home". They are more than capable of drawing with the Dutch which would put even more pressure on the Spanish. You take points whenever you can in the group stage and limit your goal difference.

Lol thinking meeting Brazil at home is a smart tactical move.

Let's go usa

Fuck Ghana always knocking us out

That Nigeria game was boring. And lol at Portugal

except they didn't score 4 points. they scored 3 points.

your comments are moronic.

alasdair

in soccer, the "points" are called "goals".

a 4 year old knows this. anybody who knows even the tiniest amount about soccer knows this. not you :\

alasdair

Not sure if Germany has finally found form or Portugal has gone to shit

futuramafry.jpg

The USA vs Ghana game was a real nail biter, reminded me of their 2010 tournament, except this time they beat Ghana, woohoo!

And for the Portugal vs Germany game... I actually thought Portugal looked good for about the first 10 mins. They came out looking calm and composed, but when they fouled Götze and Müller converted on the PK, Portugal never recovered. Germany was unrelenting from that point forward. They never let the Portugese get control. Ronaldo was a non-factor. Neuer was good when he needed to be (which wasn't very often). Germany's gonna be tough this tournament. They really did the US a favor by stomping Portugal's throat though. I'm excited to see how this group plays out, now. Should be pretty interesting.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/16/5815066/germany-portugal-2014-world-cup-final-score-result

Germany 4 -0 Portugal

They scored 3 points in that they got 3 tournament points for winning the match, but I dont think thats what you meant alasdair.
that's exactly what i meant.

i was pointing out dwe's continued complete at utter hopelessness at sports discussion for thinking that, in soccer, when the ball goes in the net, the team scores a "point". like i said, moronic.

:)

alasdair

Please explain to me when Germany was not finding their 'form'. That is correct, they were always this good.

Drawing 0-0 with Poland then 2-2 with Cameroon in their warm up matches was hardly making a statement leading in. Plus they have had plenty of injuries, none more significant than Gomez who was left out of the squad. I picked Germany to win, but I didn't think Portugal would be so insipid.

The whole tournament has been quality so far. Plenty of goals and little cynical, boring tactics. I am warming towards Argentina. They just did enough first up but psychologically other teams know they have plenty of talent at their disposal. The Dutch have no doubt shown the most complete performance so far but I have doubts about how tough they can play later in the tournament when traditionally things aren't as free flowing.

Cry me a fucking river. Some of us have to work so getting up at 2am is out of the question while the 8am is a boss killer

damn son 0-0 Mexico Brazil....I always think Brazil is a strong team but...