• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin 1 year after getting clean i don’t like food anymore

I spent 10 years addicted to heroin and now I’ve been sober for 1 year and I just wondered has anyone else had any issues with eating?food?

It’s like food doesn’t really taste good anymore and my body doesn’t want to eat half the time.
I mostly have to force myself to eat.

I wonder if it has something to do with how drugs mess with your brain chemistry. Dopamine and the reward centers of the brain ,etc.

I think over time it will get better and easier to eat more normal. It’s just weird and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this or something similar.
Sounds cool, unironically. Keep up the good work

The fucked up thing was that Adderall and Vyvanse were prescription for an actual medical condition.
I bet most people on Adderall or Vyvanse would care much about their ADD symptoms than getting a better taste of a cookie or a cup cake; of course, the priorities are different for different people ;-)

That's so weird, one of the first things that happened when I quit my daily opiate habit (although it wasn't Heroin) was that I started to get thrilled by food and enjoying eating A LOT more.

Do you take a lot of coffee? Stims? Remember those can mess with your eating appetite big time.

Buy some Neem powder (it's a plant of India, you can get it on amazon) and Turmeric powder. First thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, mix 1gr of each with just a pinch of water so you can make a paste with your hands, and do little balls you can swallow. Take these little balls with some tepid water (you can mix this water with a bit of honey if you find warm water too boring).

Wait at least 30min before putting anything else in your stomach.

These two plants combined send information to your cells so your eating regime and relation with food gets cleared up. It might sound magic but try it out before judging. Good luck!

That's so weird, one of the first things that happened when I quit my daily opiate habit (although it wasn't Heroin) was that I started to get thrilled by food and enjoying eating A LOT more.

Do you take a lot of coffee? Stims? Remember those can mess with your eating appetite big time.

Buy some Neem powder (it's a plant of India, you can get it on amazon) and Turmeric powder. First thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, mix 1gr of each with just a pinch of water so you can make a paste with your hands, and do little balls you can swallow. Take these little balls with some tepid water (you can mix this water with a bit of honey if you find warm water too boring).

These two plants combined send information to your cells so your eating regime and relation with food gets cleared up. It might sound magic but try it out before judging. Good luck!

Really, Neem powder? I used neem oil as pesticide and fungicide. Stuff is rank.. I wouldn’t eat that personally.

Exercise stimulates hunger and enhances the pleasure of eating for many people.

I bet most people on Adderall or Vyvanse would care much about their ADD symptoms than getting a better taste of a cookie or a cup cake; of course, the priorities are different for different people ;-)
It's not better taste.

Food actually tasted like cardboard like nothing.

It's actually quite horrible.

Really, Neem powder? I used neem oil as pesticide and fungicide. Stuff is rank.. I wouldn’t eat that personally.

Yeah, don't ingest the oil obviously, only powder or pure leaves.

Neem is definitely a natural fungicide and insecticide. I forgot to mention that daily consumption of Neem like the one I suggested, can kill (momentarily, as long as you take it each day) sperm cells. So if you plan to have a baby don't take it OP.

It's definitely safe to ingest it, the regime I talked about (Neem + Turmeric balls) in India is common in some communities. Just don't over do it (not necessary to do more than 1 or 2 gr)

It really is anhedonia I’m pretty sure. I also have CPTSD. Childhood complex post traumatic stress disorder. So it’s from that and from being clean off opiates these days.my childhood traumas and having CPTSD is why I got into opiates/opioids in the first place. It was the root of my drug use/ addiction.

Last edited:
But i really appreciate all the advice from everyone. I didn’t know what was going on for a long time.

Lol now that I’m sober I do drink a lot of caffeine and use my nicotine vape a lot.

For sure. I’ve been working out a lot more these days. It does help somewhat. Now that I’m sober I’ve been working on replacing my old unhealthy habits with new healthy habits. And getting back into making music again.

It may also be a situation where food/eating is something you can control.
Going through the process of getting clean can cause anxiety. I know whenever I feel anxious I want to control things much more. It eases my anxiety to be in control.
Just mentioning as a possibility.
How are things going ? Any better food wise?
Things are getting better especially now that I’ve been working out more.

But because I have CPTSD (childhood complex post traumatic stress disorder) I still get it ,anhedonia for a few weeks each month or for a few weeks every 2 months

Oh man, that's a shame. Whenever I get clean from opioids, I start eating like a horse! (Not for the first week or so, but after the initial stages of withdrawal.) You're probably suffering a bit of PAWS and have trouble enjoying anything because your neurotransmitters are still depleted. I'm sure it won't last forever.

I'm not a doctor so I don't feel very comfortable handing out medical advice, but a lot of things helped me from cannabis to mirtazapine to even warm ginger tea with sugar.

Hang in there my friend,
Dreamflyer