• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin 1 year after getting clean i don’t like food anymore

deadhead4lyfe89

Bluelighter
I spent 10 years addicted to heroin and now I’ve been sober for 1 year and I just wondered has anyone else had any issues with eating?food?

It’s like food doesn’t really taste good anymore and my body doesn’t want to eat half the time.
I mostly have to force myself to eat.

I wonder if it has something to do with how drugs mess with your brain chemistry. Dopamine and the reward centers of the brain ,etc.

I think over time it will get better and easier to eat more normal. It’s just weird and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this or something similar.

Typically the opposite happens and people end up eating more when they get sober. I do. Everyone is different, though.

You could still be experiencing PAWS.

Is this a change that happened recently?
For sure. I can see how most people would eat more when they get sober.
It might be PAWS. It wouldn’t surprise me that much after 10 years of using daily. Maybe i also developed some form of an eating disorder. I’ve felt like this the whole year of being sober now. I’m going to get checked out by a doctor 👍
Maybe it’s PAWS and a small eating disorder or the start of one.

I was just wondering if anyone else has felt like this but like you said everyone is a bit different.

I appreciate your reply.

Hello,
Yea I was thinking maybe PAWS too. Everyone’s different of course but for me personally I have trouble eating especially if I’m stressed or anxiety. There’s been many times in my life where I’ve needed a substance to calm down my body & mind so I would be able to eat, (but I’m definitely still a work in progress, so take everything I say with a grain of salt lol). I just wanted to give you some support. A year clean that’s definitely an accomplishment, be proud of you 💜

Hello,
Yea I was thinking maybe PAWS too. Everyone’s different of course but for me personally I have trouble eating especially if I’m stressed or anxiety. There’s been many times in my life where I’ve needed a substance to calm down my body & mind so I would be able to eat, (but I’m definitely still a work in progress, so take everything I say with a grain of salt lol). I just wanted to give you some support. A year clean that’s definitely an accomplishment, be proud of you 💜
Thanks! Yeah, it is a big deal 👍 I’m also glad I stopped before fentanyl took over. Nothing against people who use it though. To each their own.

I spent 10 years addicted to heroin and now I’ve been sober for 1 year and I just wondered has anyone else had any issues with eating?food?

It’s like food doesn’t really taste good anymore and my body doesn’t want to eat half the time.

I wonder if it has something to do with how drugs mess with your brain chemistry. Dopamine and the reward centers of the brain ,etc.

I think over time it will get better and easier to eat more normal. It’s just weird and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this or something similar.
What kinds of foods are you eating ?
I've had a similar experience.
I could taste all the chemicals and crap so much more. Nothing tasted good.
Except fruit and vegetables that were organic.
I added in pasture raised meat and eggs etc.
I'm thinking I developed a super sensitivity to the all the chemicals. Even smelling prepackaged food or fast food makes me nauseous until I get away from it.
If I stay with as chemical free my food tastes better than before.
It's a lot of work sometimes but we gotta eat!

On the first days off opioids I had a greatly heightened sense of smell, the metro or any place with a high frequency of humans stank horribly for example and I couldn't tolerate the taste of cigarettes 🚬 anymore. Also an interesting phenomenon was related to optical impressions, when withdrawing with dissociatives I felt like I had a pair of brand new eyes and the vision before had been kind of blunted but it wasn't really there, more of an effect than real vision.

The leftovers are that I quit smoking and stopped drinking strong coffee ☕ because of the taste. Food intake is similar, but I am more aware of that I need to eat as little as possible, stuff like that didn't matter on opioids and it took until the withdrawal that I realized to have grown a belly and slight tits on these fucking narcotics. Don't know, while on them, even after the honeymoon was long gone and had been replaced by depression, I didn't think much of myself and my appearance.

Just throwing it out there, did you get covid and lose your sense of smell/taste?
Yeah, this was indeed the only symptom/effect I had from my covid infection, was only tested by accident (was hospitalized and they tried their new tests & asked if I would volunteer - brought me 10 days of isolation). But the opioid w/d related phenomens are very different.

Last edited:

Could easily be anhedonia.

Just throwing it out there, did you get covid and lose your sense of smell/taste?
My bad for taking so long to reply. But no I didn’t lose my taste or smell when I got Covid. I just had the worst sore throat ever.
I might have developed some type of a small eating disorder Maybe 🤔
But I really think about and wondered if it has something to do with the reward centers of my brain or something because drugs and food have to do with the reward areas.

What kinds of foods are you eating ?
I've had a similar experience.
I could taste all the chemicals and crap so much more. Nothing tasted good.
Except fruit and vegetables that were organic.
I added in pasture raised meat and eggs etc.
I'm thinking I developed a super sensitivity to the all the chemicals. Even smelling prepackaged food or fast food makes me nauseous until I get away from it.
If I stay with as chemical free my food tastes better than before.
It's a lot of work sometimes but we gotta eat!
For sure. I appreciate your comment,I really wondered if anyone has experienced similar things.
Fruit does taste good I’ve noticed now that you mention it. It’s still not as good as it used to be but fruit is great. 👍

Yea. I developed an eating disorder during detox and for a couple years after. I'm not sure exactly why, partly one reason is I would get sick alot. Ibs with dirrea almost every day with ulcerative colitis flair ups. Yea you are afraid to eat from the pain real fast. I went o the Dr. Finally and got on a diet and pro -biotic that helps . And to stimulate my appetite I used cbd and later delta-8.

Time helps it'll get better . I've gained 15 lbs for the first time in my life . I'm 140 wooo! And healthy (ish)

Get some more time in , you gotta remember 10 years on the stuff , you are on the right track , another year you'll notice food again, sex, sleep, normal brain functions

My bad for taking so long to reply. But no I didn’t lose my taste or smell when I got Covid. I just had the worst sore throat ever.
But I really think about and wondered if it has something to do with the reward centers of my brain or something because drugs and food have to do with the reward areas.
It may also be a situation where food/eating is something you can control.
Going through the process of getting clean can cause anxiety. I know whenever I feel anxious I want to control things much more. It eases my anxiety to be in control.
Just mentioning as a possibility.
How are things going ? Any better food wise?

It took me a good year and a half two years to actually enjoy food after quitting Adderall and Vyvanse.

Everything tasted like goddamn cardboard the whole time I was on it and for a while afterwards.

I mean food obviously had flavor, and I didn't lose my sense of taste. It's just to me it tasted like cardboard.

It's all good now.

I get it once i got clean i never enjoyed food it lasted a year i think it has to do with paws once i was normal the taste of food came back and i started looking forward to nice meals .