• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 1,4-BDO how toxic is this stuff?

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but I’ve had an on and off relationship with 1,4-b. Had bouts of pretty severe addiction which culminated in some toxic like effects, though I believe it was mostly the withdrawals that induced these feelings.

After a break of a few years, I decide to grab 50ml because it popped up and I knew the source the be reliable. I always put it in the fridge to see if it freezes at it’s given point and sure enough it did. I’ve been using it throughout the day, perhaps a ml per every 4-5 hours and I gotta say it feels pretty damn nice. It gives me some hypomanic energy and acts as a nice anxiolytic. Much better than ethanol that’s for sure.

Its funny, taste is something that never bothers me, but the taste of 1,4-butanediol is something ive never been able to get used to.

Tastes like something one shouldn't be consuming, like molten plastic.

NaGHB is on the other hand completely inoffensive, salty.

Personally i find the effects of GHB and BDO to be very different. BDO also feels way more inconsistent in its effects, and leads to way more surprises

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but I’ve had an on and off relationship with 1,4-b. Had bouts of pretty severe addiction which culminated in some toxic like effects, though I believe it was mostly the withdrawals that induced these feelings.

After a break of a few years, I decide to grab 50ml because it popped up and I knew the source the be reliable. I always put it in the fridge to see if it freezes at it’s given point and sure enough it did. I’ve been using it throughout the day, perhaps a ml per every 4-5 hours and I gotta say it feels pretty damn nice. It gives me some hypomanic energy and acts as a nice anxiolytic. Much better than ethanol that’s for sure.
Be very careful, you will probably catch a pretty horrible physical addiction if you keep redosing like that!

1,4-BDO follows a similar metabolic pathway as ethanol, first it's converted into a hydroxyaldehyde intermediary by alcohol dehydrogenase and then into the carboxylic acid form (GHB) by an aldehyde dehydrogenase. The aldehyde intermediary is toxic yet unlikely to cause any issues because it won't have time to accumulate (the conversion to GHB happens pretty fast). In theory, 1,4-BDO is also active on its own but again, due to the very fast metabolism, its main effects are those of GHB. Although this can vary from one individual to another, especially if you consume other drugs as well.
However, never ever combine it with alcohol (ethanol) because it will impair its metabolism, which can cause major issues (overdosing is very likely), unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Its funny, taste is something that never bothers me, but the taste of 1,4-butanediol is something ive never been able to get used to.

Tastes like something one shouldn't be consuming, like molten plastic.

NaGHB is on the other hand completely inoffensive, salty.

Personally i find the effects of GHB and BDO to be very different. BDO also feels way more inconsistent in its effects, and leads to way more surprises

Yes the taste may be a little off putting, but the same thing could be said for burping up your bodies own hcl acid. I’m not saying it’s 100% non toxic, but when used in safe amounts with breaks it doesn’t appear to feel very toxic to the body. Even with all the sugar in a regular shot of vodka, ethanol still feels harsher on the body. I agree though that this one should be used in moderation. I’ve been addicted both to GHB, 1,4-B, and gbl. They all start to exert some nasty side effects when overused

Man..... GHB was nice but Xorx is right its extremely moreish and addictive. Plus the way it was always served in the rave scene of Orlando was a zephyrhills bottle. One cap and you were good, 2 and you were out.

To clarify on what i spoke about earlier in the thread, i was not diluting the BDO enough and it was why i had the issues with it effecting my heartburn. Id actually gone through hundreds of ml's with my girlfriend in the past year and i always took it mixed into a full cup of juice, all was fine.

Back years ago i used to take these one dram vials and put 2ml BDO and the rest of the vial water and id shake it up real good. This would be given as a dose to me and my friends, but it was nowhere near diluted enough if you just drank back the vial itself, like we did sometimes.

It had to be poured into a drink. When i had my last dance with BDO it actually went really great and was so pleasurable and i had no troubling side effects after i stopped. Generally just using for 2 day clips every couple weeks. Might actually get some more soon this thread has me dreaming, lately ive been using Pregabalin. Sorta scratches the same itch for me.

I got sold thus stuff as GHB. I had it before years ago so I knew what it was once I tasted it. I'm older then back then and I have Hep C now. My liver function is still in the normal range but I worry more about abusing it. So how bad is this stuff on the liver? Anyone know
I had Hep C and cured it with the generic version of those super expensive drugs. I got them from a guy in Australia who gets them sent from India. Google Gregg Jeffries he is legit AF.

It is my favorite drug. Though I take it less than once a month, the thought that I can inject 3ml of it into some cranberry juice, drink it, put on a video of a certain female band and experience piercing elation any time I want to without any downside is a trip onto itself!

I also find that I enjoy its effects more than of GHB, which seems milder and takes longer to take effect than the same dosage of Butanediol. I know that it doesn't make any sense, since Butanediol is a prodrug to GHB, but that's how my body reacts to it. Perhaps it is, indeed, a case of experiencing the primary effect of BDO before it is metabolized into GHB. I know only one person in my circle who seems to experience a similar degree of enjoyment from this substance. It is interesting, that all women that I've given this drug to initially loved it, but then became nauseous. Since they all were my longtime girlfriends, we had a chance to experiment several times, with and without having meals before taking it, but the result was always the same. It made me think of how most of the people who after taking 5-MeO-DIPT ended up in the ER room with unidentified gastric pains were women.

Last edited:
I had Hep C and cured it with the generic version of those super expensive drugs. I got them from a guy in Australia who gets them sent from India. Google Gregg Jeffries he is legit AF.
Damn dude that might be useful information in case anyone i know ever gets Hep C.

I got the cure when i moved to Minnesota. I'm doing ok.

Thought I’d keep a little bit of BDO around, so I got a lliter coming to me shortly. I find it’s easier to control my usage with this compound. If I use it more than 2-3 days I begin to get this nasty achy feeling so I’ve managed to keep this original 100ml for quite some time. It definitely has its own utility.

Oh yeah that nice. Woke up popped 15mg adderall and 2ml of BDO. Forgot how nice it can be when used moderately. The “toxic” feeling many people get either take too much or do it around clock everyday for a few days. Not saying it’s non toxic, but compared to other shit, it’s not that bad. Even after a nasty bout of gbl/BDO abuse and withdrawal, my liver panels were only slightly elevated. I’ve been severly addicted to all classes of drugs, but G and benzos are a whole new level of hell, in terms of coming off of them. At least acute G WDs are relatively short, but I recall nightmarish DTs. Was in this deliriant state for a few days. Felt like my organs were corroding from the inside out.

Loved bdo gbl and ghb. Was buying litres of ghb before it was prohibited. It is addictive, although my worst binge was only 9 months over many years of dabbling, as im lucky that a hard core drug user for 25 years i curtail a usage problem when its very out of control. Would love to find it again but do not know anyone and everyone I know into some recreational drugs say it's a scourge and ruined the party scene.

My most incredible memory was being stoned and having ghb. Then I smoked 5meoDMT. I thought I died. Then I thought I should die because no one is allowed to feel this amount of pleasure at once. When the experience passed I vowed to respect the learning and never repeated the combo. So it remains a nice memory along with many other unique enlightening experiences

Hello Sir,
I don't want to be off-topic cross-posting same question twice but I can't find any exploration or conjecture on possible toxicity of the "new GBL" CAS 7331-52-4 nicknamed 3-HGB, which is now aggressively marketed as a substitute for both GBL and BDO as pro-drugs metabolized to GHB and inducing GH release.

Searching internet today picked up only my own post yesterday in Bluelight Other Drugs. Replies should go to a yet unanswered thread in this very Other Drugs forum: https://bluelight.org/xf/threads/ne...-4-or-s-3-hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone.933702/
It's arriving soon, so info is anxiously needed. Many Thanks!
Hi.
Sorry I don't have any info regarding 3-HGB. The extra hydroxy group in position 3 makes it a whole different substance, I don't see how it could be metabolized into GHB. Don't know if it could even bind to the GHB receptor... Be careful if you try it.

Hi.
Sorry I don't have any info regarding 3-HGB. The extra hydroxy group in position 3 makes it a whole different substance, I don't see how it could be metabolized into GHB. Don't know if it could even bind to the GHB receptor... Be careful if you try it.
https://www.benchchem.com/product/b1311449
says below 3-HGB, CAS 7331-52-4 is GHB itself!
------------------------------------------------------
(S)-3-Hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone
Cat. No. B1311449
CAS RN: 7331-52-4
Formula: C4H6O3
M. Wt: 102.09 g/mol
InChI Key: FUDDLSHBRSNCBV-VKHMYHEASA-N
IUPAC Name: (4S)-4-hydroxyoxolan-2-one
(S)-3-Hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone (GHB) is an endogenous compound found in the human body and a naturally occurring substance in some foods. It is also known as gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) and is a metabolite of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). GHB has been used as a recreational drug, but it has also been studied for its potential therapeutic applications.

Synthesis MethodGHB can be synthesized in a laboratory setting using various methods. The most common method is by the reaction of gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) with sodium hydroxide. This reaction produces GHB and sodium carbonate. Other methods of synthesis include the reaction of gamma-butyrolactone with potassium hydroxide, the reaction of succinic semialdehyde with sodium hydroxide, and the reaction of gamma-butyrolactone with hydrochloric acid.

Last edited:
https://www.benchchem.com/product/b1311449
says below 3-HGB, CAS 7331-52-4 is GHB itself!
------------------------------------------------------
(S)-3-Hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone
Cat. No. B1311449
CAS RN: 7331-52-4
Formula: C4H6O3
M. Wt: 102.09 g/mol
InChI Key: FUDDLSHBRSNCBV-VKHMYHEASA-N
IUPAC Name: (4S)-4-hydroxyoxolan-2-one
(S)-3-Hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone (GHB) is an endogenous compound found in the human body and a naturally occurring substance in some foods. It is also known as gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) and is a metabolite of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). GHB has been used as a recreational drug, but it has also been studied for its potential therapeutic applications.
I don't know what they're smoking or if they're actually selling GHB/GBL labelled as a different (legal) compound but it seems pretty shady.
I can tell you that 3-hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone is definitely not gamma-hydroxybutyric acid / 4-hydroxybutanoic acid (both different names for the substance known as GHB).

I don't know what they're smoking or if they're actually selling GHB/GBL labelled as a different (legal) compound but it seems pretty shady.
I can tell you that 3-hydroxy-gamma-butyrolactone is definitely not gamma-hydroxybutyric acid / 4-hydroxybutanoic acid (both different names for the substance known as GHB).
I believe benchchem.com has it right. CAS 7331-52-4 is GHB itself in its pure liquid form.

Last edited:
I believe benchchem.com has it right.
3-HGB can be converted to the following compound (the same way GBL gets converted to GHB) :

Does that look like GHB to you?

I've never had the pure lactone liquid before:
GHB is 7331-52-4,
GBL is 96-48-0,
BDO is 110-63-4.