• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

Why are you all saying that as long as u have money your ok no your not eventually your tolerance will get to insane level and make it horrible if you have managed not to fatally od I honestly am so over heroin I know how arrogant that sounds but it's true I honestly would take a bottle of methadone over a bag anyday I'm just lucky I got on methadone when I did I was this close this fucking close to dying or getting locked up

Why are you all saying that as long as u have money your ok no your not eventually your tolerance will get to insane level and make it horrible if you have managed not to fatally od I honestly am so over heroin I know how arrogant that sounds but it's true I honestly would take a bottle of methadone over a bag anyday I'm just lucky I got on methadone when I did I was this close this fucking close to dying or getting locked up

Tolerance generally won't increase forever. It will increase up to how much the person can afford at the time. Then they can't afford more and just use what they're tolerant too.

The problem is you then need to maintain affording that level of using pretty much indefinitely.

Additionally, assuming it's actually real heroin and not fentanyl (which is still the case in some countries today), your risk of a fatal overdose will generally decrease substantially as time goes on.

Your risk of a fatal dose when you first start is very high because it doesn't take a whole lot more heroin above your tolerance to kill you. But if you have a huge habit, you're generally never going to accidentally take so much that you overdose.

Tolerance generally won't increase forever. It will increase up to how much the person can afford at the time. Then they can't afford more and just use what they're tolerant too.

The problem is you then need to maintain affording that level of using pretty much indefinitely.

Additionally, assuming it's actually real heroin and not fentanyl (which is still the case in some countries today), your risk of a fatal overdose will generally decrease substantially as time goes on.

Your risk of a fatal dose when you first start is very high because it doesn't take a whole lot more heroin above your tolerance to kill you. But if you have a huge habit, you're generally never going to accidentally take so much that you overdose.
At my worst I always smoked more and more if I had money I thought we were discussing people who had unlimited money then I think shits gonna hit the fan real real quick in that case

At my worst I always smoked more and more if I had money I thought we were discussing people who had unlimited money then I think shits gonna hit the fan real real quick in that case

No we are talking about people with a good and reliable income. Not unlimited money.

And unless you're a billionaire you're generally gonna wind up using however much you can afford at that time.

Anyway, didn't you start heroin like a couple years ago? If you feel burnt out, for the love of God quit and get on methadone or whatever. Do it now because before you know it you'll be looking at decades of your life lost to it.

I'm still pretty young and I've already thrown away well over a decade. So if there's any chance you can stop after only a couple years I implore you to do so.

There’s a coincidence. Just a week ago or so I watched “Crack” on Netflix and he’s one of the dudes that was being interviewed and asked for his views on the topic of Crack in the ‘80’s. Don’t recall him being quite so cavalier on the subject matter in the documentary. Maybe I misunderstood.

No we are talking about people with a good and reliable income. Not unlimited money.

And unless you're a billionaire you're generally gonna wind up using however much you can afford at that time.

Anyway, didn't you start heroin like a couple years ago? If you feel burnt out, for the love of God quit and get on methadone or whatever. Do it now because before you know it you'll be looking at decades of your life lost to it.

I'm still pretty young and I've already thrown away well over a decade. So if there's any chance you can stop after only a couple years I implore you to do so.
I've been on methadone for 3 months now I've quit heroin for nearly 12 consecutive days the other week not gonna lie my income had a lot to do with it buts that's it init like Ur saying it's all down to income

I've been on methadone for 3 months now I've quit heroin for nearly 12 consecutive days the other week not gonna lie my income had a lot to do with it buts that's it init like Ur saying it's all down to income

Congrats, very good choice I hope you keep it up and eventually abandon heroin completely.

I'm not sure what you mean by thinking I'm saying "it's all down to income". All I'm saying is that people generally won't continue to increase their tolerance forever. It will generally stop when they'd can't afford to be using more.

There’s a coincidence. Just a week ago or so I watched “Crack” on Netflix and he’s one of the dudes that was being interviewed and asked for his views on the topic of Crack in the ‘80’s. Don’t recall him being quite so cavalier on the subject matter in the documentary. Maybe I misunderstood.
interesting

So he's a responsible heroin user & responsible crack user? Does he also responsibly take meth?

Congrats, very good choice I hope you keep it up and eventually abandon heroin completely.

I'm not sure what you mean by thinking I'm saying "it's all down to income". All I'm saying is that people generally won't continue to increase their tolerance forever. It will generally stop when they'd can't afford to be using more.

I think before there's an issue with income, people hooked on opioids will have a hard time admitting that there's any problem. There's enough evidence to support that the psychological addiction is a tricky motherfucker, and will woo you in comfort, and tell you you're in full control, until you realize what's happening. I've seen dozens of people on this site talk like him, then you look at their posts 2-3 years later.

interesting

So he's a responsible heroin user & responsible crack user? Does he also responsibly take meth?

I think before there's an issue with income, people hooked on opioids will have a hard time admitting that there's any problem. There's enough evidence to support that the psychological addiction is a tricky motherfucker, and will woo you in comfort, and tell you you're in full control, until you realize what's happening. I've seen dozens of people on this site talk like him, then you look at their posts 2-3 years later.
Lovely post as always.

It's a great documentary (if Cocaine is your thing i.e. I tend to watch anything Cocaine related even although I've been done with it for many years) albeit that it's a bit politicized and could even border on the conspiratorial. Suppose there's two sides to every story and I certainly wasn't in the USA during the so-called Crack epidemic either so what do I know. That said: there's more than a few accounts in the documentary by users and that should be enough to put most off for life (and irony of ironies: those were people that didn't have money and would sell their own mother for a hit).

Love this part of the article or interview:

“False,” he declares. “We give thousands of doses in our laboratories here at Columbia every year – snorted cocaine, smoked cocaine – and we have never seen anything like a heart attack. I think that in general, medicine is conservative and errs on the side of caution. But the thing they have not taken into consideration is that there is a cost to erring on the side of caution and that cost is immense.”

While he may be correct on the physical dangers or or the overplaying them by harm reduction sites and the authorities: it's, as you say, the psychological aspect or psychological addiction, to Cocaine in particular, that's the problem and that doesn't just disappear once you're well and far down the Cocaine road.

Other than for my own interests and research: I don't know much about opiates (and have only gone down the Fentanyl rabbit hole in depth for the sake of my own interest). But as far a Heroin is concerned and based on all the posts here (and this is where real people know their oats): you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that encourages its use and the dangers and long term ramifications are extolled in no uncertain terms by people who know what they're talking about and have lived the nightmare that it appears to be.

And you know what? Even IF the authorities do overplay things: so what. If it's acting as a deterrent to some well then so be it.

I agree totally with those that think this is irresponsible. Put another way: I can think of at least two or three threads here that had the OP's of those threads found this article first or his book (as opposed to coming here first and asking as to whether or not they should try Heroin) they'd have started using no problem and then found themselves down the river without a paddle eventually. Wonder if he'd step up to the plate and pay for their rehab.

As for erring on the side of caution: I think that's being done here and well too. Cannot say the same for his take on the subject matter.

From experience: I myself got off lightly with Cocaine and Crack so it has indeed been difficult for me to comprehend how Cocaine and Crack has been the ruination of many. But I know I was just lucky and the exception to the rule and, so far as I can tell, definitely in the minority. And I'm certainly not about to go writing a book extolling its virtues and encouraging its use in spite of this.

Anyway. Hope for his sake there's no backlash and he doesn't lose his job and income as a result. Because if that happens: he'll be singing from a different hymn book for sure and once his last piece of furniture has been sold to the second hand store!

Gotta love this one though:

“We give thousands of doses in our laboratories here at Columbia every year – snorted cocaine, smoked cocaine – and we have never seen anything like a heart attack. I think that in general, medicine is conservative and errs on the side of caution. But the thing they have not taken into consideration is that there is a cost to erring on the side of caution and that cost is immense.”

Goddamn. Where was this university in the '80's? I'd have been lining up as a test subject on an hourly basis! :ROFLMAO:

And just to add: if this done in order to justify the legalization of all narcotics in order to help addicts then it's misguided. When I first came along here I came out guns blazing when it came to legalization of all narcotics and with the notion that it'd be utopia and of benefit to addicts (legalize all, sell it legally, and use the funds generated to help addicts and set up decent education programs and rehab. centers). Well it's no secret I've done a 180 on this. Just look at the amount of money (in the billions of USD) that all of these governments worldwide have pulled from the ether for COVID vaccines. If they actually gave a shit about addiction and providing safe supply: they'd have been able to find the money in minutes. Fact is: the politicians don't give a shit. Only reason it's mentioned by them at times is for the sake of political expediency (very few exceptions worldwide so far as I can tell from here anyway). And I can tell you also that if additional funds are required for other mishaps: even with these programs in place they will be the first from which funding will be withdrawn (because it's needed somewhere else for example).

I know the above isn't palatable to most here. And for that I do apologize. At the same time: I'm not anti-drug either. Far from it (only possible exception is alcohol) but that's another story and not really relevant here). It's just that from what I've seen: we, and our little community here, is all we got ladies and gentlemen and boys and girls. And for damn sure the members here are doing a better job when it comes to harm reduction and extolling the dangers of use and addiction than this, apparently educated, pillar of society.

Anyway and for what it's worth: if I get my business off of the ground I'll be sure to do my bit and put my money (profits) where my mouth is! There's an undertaking you can all hold me to! Talk is cheap! And money talks and bullshit walks (as they say).

I wonder if this dude will be contributing any of HIS profits made from the sale of this book to addiction centers? Because given its controversial nature and publicity received: I reckon he's gong to make a packet!

Come to think of it: maybe this pillar of society can organize me some Coca Leaf at wholesale (given that he doesn't see the harm in it)! :love:

Wow isn't that dude a major waste of fucking space.
"overstated", my ass, deaths from OD are still on the rise since 2014
Half a million deaths a year, but it's all just blown out of proportion :rolleyes:

He's not going to realize how addicted he is as long as he has the money to buy more heroin :) He's a Professor, lol, he should earn good money. There's never a problem as long as there's money. People like that are why kids everywhere keep thinking "I can control heroin too!"
Exactly. Or he will get a bag of dope or a lookalike oxy pill cut with fentanyl and overdose.

He also is stupid that he thinks he and his wife, and children can suddenly just in the middle of a pandemic move or emigrate to Switzerland. He will be shocked when he learns how expensive it is there.

Last edited:
Yea, skimming over that article it reads like a bunch of horseshit. I mean not everything in is false, not at all, but the general description and playing down of heroins risks are extremely deceptive and dangerous.

What I do agree with is that heroin doesn't have to be anywhere near as dangerous as it is in practice and wouldn't be in a different sociolegal climate.

But we don't get to choose what sociolegal climate we live in, and even in a perfect world, heroin still tends to come to own you. Just because you have enough wealth to stay stable doesn't change that underlying reality. It only takes the rollercoaster of life hitting a sharp dip and 20 years of stable drug use can suddenly turn into complete self destruction.
Personally I think its the fent that makes is so dangerous. But real heroin is more addictive which i guess can make people careless and HR goes out the window. You are probably right

But this is why Heroin testing is crucial and necessary. I personally own 11 different reagents and also use Fent strips. I think everyone who uses H or any type of drugs should do regular reagent testing. If you can afford drugs, you most certainly can afford a few reagent bottles. This way you can stay safe out there and know what you are taking.

But this is why Heroin testing is crucial and necessary. I personally own 11 different reagents and also use Fent strips. I think everyone who uses H or any type of drugs should do regular reagent testing. If you can afford drugs, you most certainly can afford a few reagent bottles. This way you can stay safe out there and know what you are taking.
In a perfect world this would happen, but most IV drug addicts and hard drug addicts do not care about their health, and the drug, getting it, and staying high are what come first.

In my city we have safe injection sites or places addicts can go to use safely, and needle exchange programs, and organizations that give free needles, but the majority of IV drug users and hard drug addicts do not go to the safe injection sites, or use needle exchange programs.

A friend of mine said how when she was a polydrug addict-heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, Ketamine, and using how when faced with having to share a needle, versus going out, getting a new needle, and going to an injection site she would share the needle as she wanted to get or stay high, and she knew not to trust anyone as they would just use all of the coke, heroin, meth, or special K while she was out getting a new needle.

Thankfully my friend never got HIV or any type of Hepatitis and she is now sober.

I know it’s a long thread which I haven’t read through
, but I wish I never would have tried it. I’ve gotten back to smoking it on a daily basis, and my life is ruined. I’d almost rather kill myself than go back into detox.

Yea, skimming over that article it reads like a bunch of horseshit. I mean not everything in is false, not at all, but the general description and playing down of heroins risks are extremely deceptive and dangerous.

What I do agree with is that heroin doesn't have to be anywhere near as dangerous as it is in practice and wouldn't be in a different sociolegal climate.

But we don't get to choose what sociolegal climate we live in, and even in a perfect world, heroin still tends to come to own you. Just because you have enough wealth to stay stable doesn't change that underlying reality. It only takes the rollercoaster of life hitting a sharp dip and 20 years of stable drug use can suddenly turn into complete self destruction.
I could afford my heroin use for 13 years i had a business and worked as a lorry driver just to spend that money and dip into my business . I never had the rollercoaster of my next fix it was always there. But I did fear business taking a dip or losing a haulage job. I could afford it that was good when you said heroin still tends to own you that is so true

I think it's important to really listen and think about what Professor Hart is saying. He's clearly in favor of harm reduction and believes the best approach is to be honest and not focus on hyperbole about how dangerous heroin is. Professor Hart's argument is, as JessFR points out, that it's the sociolegal context that does the most damage. The fact that heroin is illegal, expensive and often contaminated with other substances does more harm than simply using alone.

Last edited:
So, 7 months later and I still haven't tried heroin again, but I finally kind of "get it".
My opioid tolerance is finally at a level where I can't really afford to get high at all if I don't resort to extremely potent RC opioids like Fent and Etazene (or Heroin), at about 150-180mg Oxycodone equivalent SINGLE dose to get decently high.

So, 7 months later and I still haven't tried heroin again, but I finally kind of "get it".
My opioid tolerance is finally at a level where I can't really afford to get high at all if I don't resort to extremely potent RC opioids like Fent and Etazene (or Heroin), at about 150-180mg Oxycodone equivalent SINGLE dose to get decently high.
If you're in the U.S. I can assure you that heroin is a lot less expensive than Oxycodone. Injecting will give you the most intense and euphoric rush that you'll ever experience in your life.

I think it's important to really listen and think about what Professor Hart is saying. He's clearly in favor of harm reduction and believes the best approach is to be honest and not focus on hyperbole about how dangerous heroin is. Professor Hart's argument is, as JessFR points out, that it's the sociolegal context that does the most damage. The fact that heroin is illegal, expensive and often contaminated with other substances does more harm than simply using alone.
Please, just. Could you leave it be? This is the opposite of HR.

I know you're super into the stuff, but please stop trying to convince others that it's a good idea, I beg you..

When curious people see posts like yours, and I kid you not, almost every single thing you ever posted in this thread is like "hey, it's not so bad, I'm a functional addict, and I love it so so much, you should try it - it's worth trying it" - and that's all fine for you, srsly, I'm happy you're happy. But it also creates the illusion for the curious people to say "HEY, they're functional, so if they can do it, I can do it." - but you and I know they can't. I would be surprised if the number of functional addicts was as high as 2%, but you nonchalantly leave that out.

You KNOW how many people OD, how many people fuck up, sell their stuff, steal from their parents, fuck their friends over, live on the streets, shit I read about some dude putting ice tea in the syringe for his best friend because he didn't want to share the heroin (yeah the best friend died)

It's absolutely fine that you're doing good, but you KNOW how much horror it causes to so many others, and that they're not as good as you are at either controlling themselves, or lying to themselves, I really don't know you or your psyche, but just..please? At least dial it back? Aren't you scared that people read your posts, think "Heyyy, that means I can control it too", and try it?(everyone thinks they're special and great, and one "positive" example is often enough to convince someone) That thought would kill me.

This is nothing personal, but your posts are all over this thread, and I'm scared of the influence they're having honestly. You downplay this stuff like it's gummibears