• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Really Nice Codeine Thread

The sugar free one (orange bottle) tastes foul IMO.

Although it could perhaps be a psychological association, as the synthetic orange flavor is really similar to the taste of a liquid penicillin product I was given when I was a kid (I am very badly allergic to beta-lactam antibiotics), that tasted nauseating to begin with, I liked it even less when it made me sick as a dog.

But I think I'd have hated it even if that hadn't have happened to me in childhood.

I like the care+ brand one though, I find the smell of chloroform quite pleasant. Very surprising that its in there though, given the hepatotoxicity of chlorinated hydrocarbons.

I came up with a good recipe for cocktails with it when I could easily find the stuff, nowhere I've been in my city sells it anymore though, which isn't to say there is nowhere, but certainly nowhere nearby.

Mix codeine syrup, and a mixture of tesco own brand cheap lime fizzy pop and vodka to taste, then add a splash of diethyl ether.

Hits like a soft blanket full of bricks=D

It's an aquired taste tbh, i wasnt too keen on it my first 2 bottles but now i love the taste and love guzzling it down. Guess its the same with alcohol and coffee your brain just associates the taste with the effect really after a while, they all tastes like arse at first. Yeah no pharmacy here stocks it for obvious reasons, even if they did it would you would be allowed 1 fucking bottle a year and it wouldn't be sugar free.

In Cwe's i use BARR cherryade, its so sweet you can hardly notice the bitterness. <3

Not surprising really if you're comparing doses of 90mg DHC to 200mg codeine.

DHC is (by shaky consensus) about 1.5x as potent as codeine at the most. So you should really be dosing around 150mg DHC in order to give a fair comparison.

DHC is the clear winner, btw. :)

I agree DHC is an entirely more powerful drug than codeine is. Oral DHC can completely cover a sizeable IV smack habit, and qualitatively feels much closer (minus the rush from injecting or quick onset of smoking) to the stronger opiates. I don't think any amount of codeine could do that even if there was no ceiling dose.

Yeh but on a cost ratio, a bottle of linctus is so much better then 1 box of paramol in terms of high and value for money

Yeah - you can get 1 for £2.50 in a place I go to seldom enough, and with a high enough staff turnover, not to arouse suspicion.

I disagree - obviously YMMV, but I'd much prefer 500mg of codeine to 200mg of DHC. 500mg of each together though and all's well with the world

Yeah but anymore than 500mg of codeine and you're just making yourself itch more really, 500mg of DHC is already nicer than any amount of codeine imo and you can keep upping the dosage.

That's not been my experience, and I've heard others say the same.I can definitely tell a big jump between 500mg and 800mg, and not just side effects. I've heard its potency merely decreases once you reach a certain level - so the difference between 200-300mg is a lot more than between 500 and 800mg.

I read it's Codeine-6-glucuronide that most of the high comes from and not the morphine

I'm on day 4 of cold turkey from my 1.5g per day codeine habit. The physical stuff is improving rapidly (and to be honest, was a walk in the park from what I was expecting), but the soul destroying cravings are tearing me apart. I just want to feel happy like I did before, not like an empty, emotionless, shell.

Any words of wisdom?

Actually just making me feel like quitting now, i knew the physical side aint that bad really. Most addiction is just fear was the same when i quit vals coming off 2mg was a piece of piss but i had the fear of the horrible withdrawels and insomnia from the first time which were just unfuckingberable. I meen the physical wd's i get aint changed in like 9 or so months with codiene its always the same and pretty mild. The mental side is the worst always it is really addictive shit

You could go to a doctor but they will probably make you go to Turning point and that place is gash honestly it just made me want to smash my head against a wall, i went twice and never went again. I did not want to open up with my keyworker because she was just ditzy as hell and irritating.

GL Matt keep us updated

I'm on day 4 of cold turkey from my 1.5g per day codeine habit. The physical stuff is improving rapidly (and to be honest, was a walk in the park from what I was expecting), but the soul destroying cravings are tearing me apart. I just want to feel happy like I did before, not like an empty, emotionless, shell.

Any words of wisdom?

Had no idea you were trying to quit at the moment and there's only so much words - wise or otherwise - can really do to help but, as Owain mentioned, you've done the hardest part already. Certainly in terms of the physical aspects of w/d. Cravings can take longer but knowing that if you give in to them you only have to go through all this all over again at some future point can help with perspective. The emotionless shell thing is part of the w/d process. Opiates greatly fuck with emotions and that emotional and psychological side to w/d often gets overlooked. It does take longer than the physical aspects to settle down but it's nothing too outrageous. I'd not want to put a specific timeframe on it as it varies so much between individuals and circumstances but it does settle down and that is the thing to focus on.

Best of luck and keep us updated :)<3

Codeine is nice, helps tide me over on the last day or two before my morphine/oxy script is due for its weekly refill. DHC is what I used to be on for pain, and compared at an equal (by weight) dosage to codeine, it is indeed more potent, but the withdrawals were awful. Worse on 120mg of DHC than an equal dose of IV morphine, with instant release DHC. Felt like I was borderline headed for a seizure, although that never actually materialized beyond severe myoclonus and some painful contractions of the chest wall.

But the worst thing was the restlessness, must have looked like a patient with st. Vitus' dance. I'll do a couple of boxes of CWE paramol or co-dydramol sometimes but only occasionally. Works nice as a potentiator for the oxy/morphine combination I like to shoot. (mostly morph, from 120-300mg, with between 20-60mg oxy if I want to stay upright, given the stimulating qualities of oxy)

Oddly, I actually find codeine itself quite noddy and sedating, especially when I first started doing opiates, a bottle of linctus wouldf have me gouched on the bed all day long, quite out of it.

Got fuck all around now though, will be stuck extracting my spent filters for the morph/oxy content and plugging (not a good idea to shoot, likely to cause 'cotton fever' in my experience trying to, but that doesn't happen when the water extract is plugged)

I just read through that person's moan about his "hellish existence", his "torment and agonising pain" and "the absolute obliteration of important, meaningful relationships" all cos of his co-codamol habit. Please...

Codeine isn't that hard to taper off, especially if you read up a bit and arm yourself with comfort meds. If he REALLY can't manage it then there's always the option of a buprenorphine taper, possibly supervised/in-patient. Cringing at the levels of self-pity here.

Last edited:
Yeh i disagree with the immense pain and stuff and the break down of relationships, even sleep pattern the only time my sleep gets effected is on a big dose of DHC where i will usualy wake up like 4 times in the night. But the psychological part of it is the same for me. I got social anxiety suffered from some stinking depression before. First thing i loved about codiene was how anti depressing it was

My flatmates mum gave him a box of 30mg Codeine phosphate pills but as we are both on methadone i guess it would be pretty pointless in taking these pills in the hope of achieving a buzz?

Little to no point whilst taking methadone. They would get you through a day or two if you happened to miss your script but not worth skipping days for. They'd work okay if you did skip or miss your dose but only real difference you'd notice is that you'd be a lot itchier than usual and would start feeling ill a lot sooner than usual. Save 'em for emergencies or until you're off the 'done.