• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Injection; IV Complications and Info MEGATHREAD & FAQ III Vs I Want Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
So SWIM has recently decided to slam meth. SWIM's first time was amazing to say the least. Problem is, SWIM's friend who is experienced in this field did the injection for SWIM. SWIM has tried 2 times, first try I drew blood which is supposed to be normal and show that its done right(from what i understand), but shortly after, the injection point started swelling and turning red all around it. Now when SWIM's friend did it, it was clean, no swelling, wasnt even noticeable to draw attention from others... But now it is super obvious that I fucked up and am injecting my arm. It was the same rig but SWIM tried shortly after his friend did it(roughly 3-4 hours after)
SWIM decided to clean the rig and try a second time(a week later). during injection SWIM felt a slight burn and it continued for another minute after injection was complete. Since SWIM is new at this he didnt inject more than 10 units(which doesnt seem like much after seeing his friend do triple that, but still not sure if what SWIM did was a lot for a newbie) and after swelling began and the redness returned. Swelling isnt as bad as it was after the first try a week before, but SWIM sees that hes obviously doing something wrong, oh and SWIM didnt draw ANY blood the second try. Please explain what SWIM could have possibly did wrong and how else can you tell if you didnt inject properly.
A link to the complete and proper guide to injection would be much appreciated. SWIM knows there are plenty of links to this information but he is fairly new to this site and would rather have all this information in his pocket. SWIM knows a new post may seem annoying to veterans but creating a new post with all the information he needs is a lot easier than finding multiple posts with scattered information. Thanks for taking your time to read and help someone who is new to injection.

PS- SWIM has been smoking meth (mostly) for about 2 years, and has snorted it on a few occasions. Also, please no replies like, "its swelling because SWIM is injecting a harmful substance to the body so of course there are consequences!" SWIM takes full responsibility for his choices and knows that he is potentially harming his body, but SWIM doesnt do drugs to be healthy. Please remember that! Thanks again fellow members and future educators!

Hey hun... sounds like you're a bit nervous excited when trying on yourself ... maybe you cant get the angle your friend could or your vein is a wriggler as I call them they move around if you dont have your arm fully extended and supported (a pillow under your arm while sitting will help). Make sure you know the direction of your vein and its not close to abranched area of the vein . The burning or swelling sound's like youve left your tourniquet on tight while injecting which causes back pressure in the vein and can cause the drug of choice to come back out of the small hole made when removing the needle shaft. Otherwise known as a back fire. If you do have swelling irritation hot and cold compresses will help heat makes blood flow cold constricts the muscle causing the toxin an bad blood out ... also get yourself some hirudoid cream its for small ventricular problems an bruising. As for not being able to inject in after drawing back blood. is making me think you've slipped through the otherside of your vein a blowout and the tip of your needle is in hard muscle or tendon fibre. Uou haven't been using long enough to have any scar tissue yet or a semi collapsed vein.. hope this helps you . Also having a hot shower or making your arm really warm makes it easier to get a vein.

Well first off I'd like to say what's up to the people of blue light, although I have never really posted here before I have been using information provided here for a couple years but now I am in need of a little more personal help... I have recently switched to IM'ing suboxone rather than IV'ing and i hope to eventually taper down to not needing suboxone anymore. Anyways, so me and my retarded ass did a shot of suboxone without filtering it at all due to my point being old and not being able to suck anything up thru a cotton. I regret 1000% doing it and realize now how stupid it was to risk doing it like that but sometimes that don't take back the damage done. So I did it in my quad muscle and besides a little soreness and hardness have not noticed anything that would make me worry until today which is a couple days later after I did another shot in the same leg. Now the spot used today hurts like fucking hell and is red around the area the shot was given. Should I be worrying or should I give it a couple days to go down? Like it's extremely sore to the touch and since I havnt been IM'ing for very long I don't know if this is something that will just go away. Any help with this matter will be extremely appreciated.

^ This def
I wouldn't risk it, imo after two days it should have been fine unless there is a problem

I'm just shaking my head. There is no reason to IM sub, pills or the films. It's not going to be less addictive. You gain nothing.

ER sounds good!

Well it hasn't been two days the actual problem occurred I guess yesterday now when I injected in the same leg as I had a couple days prior when I didn't filter. And as I wake today I notice the redness is gone hardness remains and the soreness had gone down considerably so since it hasn't gotten worse over the course of a day should I just give it another day then and see how it feels? Or do you guys really think I should go to the ER?

And I inject subs because it saves me a considerable amount of medication and since me and my gf split her script it comes in handy. And I will say that although yes IMOHO I am abusing suboxone as I am not taking it as it was directed it has gave me a completely new outlook on life after being on subs for the past year and getting off a three year heroin addiction. It's the needle fixation that's got me now I think...

This isn't medical advice, as I am not a medical practitioner. Ok?

Stop injecting into the same place, you may build up deposits of drug into the muscle when you IM. It sounds like you may have a sterile abscess. Take some advil, use hot compresses, and wrap the area with a compression bandage, just tight enough that it doesn't cut off circulation.

Speaking as someone who has used IV drugs extensively. Mind you, it's junkie advice :)

If the same vein in a hand is used 1/week, doing things as carefully as possible, approx how long will it stay good for? Obs it will vary from person to person, but is there a rough range?

I can't give you a definite answer but I can say that I have several veins on my hands that I've used for months (more than 1/week) and they are still usable. But it depends on a lot of factors and every vein is different. I've had to retire a couple too.

There's at least seven different veins on each hand I can IV into. As long as you're using fresh sharps and rotate they should last a long time! My arm veins are mainly toast but the hands still do quite well!

If the same vein in a hand is used 1/week, doing things as carefully as possible, approx how long will it stay good for? Obs it will vary from person to person, but is there a rough range?

Some veins will be good for only weeks, some months, some years and years. All depends on how good or bad your technique is.

This isn't medical advice, as I am not a medical practitioner. Ok?

Stop injecting into the same place, you may build up deposits of drug into the muscle when you IM. It sounds like you may have a sterile abscess. Take some advil, use hot compresses, and wrap the area with a compression bandage, just tight enough that it doesn't cut off circulation.

Speaking as someone who has used IV drugs extensively. Mind you, it's junkie advice :)

Thanks a lot bro and ya I understand ur not a dr. Haha but that's sort of what I've been doing while also I'm on prednisone for my asthma so that might be why the swelling and soreness went down a lot. It's like the second or third day since I've done that shot and my leg feels almost normal like I said but I can def. see it getting better so I'll hold off on the hospital visit for now, I've got enough med. bills for shit not even related to drugs lol

How to self administer intravenously

I've never tried any ROAs involving a needle (besides in hospital before an operation), and want to give the intravenous route a try at some point. Its not something I'll be able to do multiple times since needles are prescription only in my country, so I'd need to get it right first time. I found this thread:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/75897-Intravenous-and-Intramuscular-Injection
which is very informative, but there are a few things not covered in the thread which I am wondering about.

1.) Whats the exact purpose of the saline solution? Is it for sterilizing the inside of the syringe, is for killing any bacteria that may be present in the drug material itself, or both?

2.) If you forgot to clean and sterilise something like the spoon, meaning theres a higher risk of a pathogenic bacteria (or fungi or whatever) entering the drug solution, how would you go about sterilising it? Usually you need to boil water to sterilize it properly, and temperatures like that could destroy the drug. UV light kills bacteria, but not everyone the equipment for irradiating with UV. I suppose this kind of answers question 1, if one were to add pure NaCl to the solution, that would kill off any bacteria. Ideally though, you'd want to use a mixture of NaCl and KCl because sodium and potassium needs to be balanced in the body. If I'm not mistaken, NaCl kills bacteria via osmosis, so maybe KCl works equally well, if so I'd use pure KCl since we ingest too much sodium and not enough potassium.

EDIT: I was doing a bit of revision there (to find out of K+ kills bacteria) and found a very interesting article:
http://chemo.net/newpage22.htm
You can order neodymium magnets online, they're not too expensive. They're so strong you have to be careful handling them cuz having two of them snap together would break your finger if it got caught in between.

3.) I looked around for some cotton (for filtering the drug solution through when filling the syringe, in order to prevent any solid material getting into the syringe) in my bathroom and found cotton pads, but on the package it says "with microfiber". I read somewhere that if cotton fibers get into the syringe, they can cause problems when they reach the heart. Should cotton pads (the ones women use during period) with microfibers be avoided? What if one were to run hot water (boiled then cooled down to ensure its sterile) through them first, that should remove any lose microfibers shouldn't it?

4.) Is the guage of the needle that important? In that thread, the OP recommends 29 guage needles for IV, and 25-27G for intramuscular. Whats the difference? If one were to use a 19 guage needle, what difference would it make? The unit "gauge" is used in different areas, I'm familiar with wire guage, which is a measure of the diameter of the wire, the lower the guage, the larger the diameter. Does the same go for needles? Does a lower guage, mean a larger diameter needle?

5.) Is it necessary to locate valves (the valves which stop blood flowing in the wrong direction in the vein) beforehand? I read that its very important that one doesn't inject directly into a valve because it could damage the valve, so ideally one would locate the valve, then inject a few centimeters or so past the valve. What are the odds of actually hitting one of these valves? And if anyone here has experience with this, how do you locate the valves, I read that you apply pressure to the vein, and move along the vein applying pressure until you find a point where applying pressure doesn't restrict blood flow. Or something like that, I can't remember the specifics. Can someone knowledgeable explain the valves (i.e. how many of them are present in the average vein, how to locate them, and what are the consequences of inserting a needle into a valve)?

Last edited:
Thanks for giving me some hope! My technique isn't perfect yet, but it will get better and any vein I've hit I haven't screwed up. Hopefully most will last until a subcut version is available.

I'm only going to post based on info from what I know.
1. I don't use saline. A saline solution isn't going to be enough to sterilize something. I only use sterile syringes.
3. Yes, the lower the gauge number the larger the diameter.
4. I don't know completely, but I know if you go for too small of an opening with a large syringe you can easily create too much pressure.
5. It's a good idea. I've been informed that if I get stuck getting in the needle fully, I can give a little push to force the valve open and hopefully then slide the needle in. Sometimes you can find valves by pressing along the vein with your finger and you can see a light spot. I can do this on some other people, but can't to myself.

about sterilizing the water, i know it's definitely not the best harm-reduction advice, but simply boiling the water beforehand or using bottled water should be fine already. also, clean everything with alcohol and let it dry so that everything is perfectly clean.

for the filter, dude, if you can, get your hands on the micron filters, they're like little miracles, there are threads here on bluelight about them, learn about them. if not, a small piece of cotton the size of your pinky nail that you take off of a q-tip can do the trick too (still very dirty, but hell, inserting shit made in the streets in your veins is already very dirty)

it'd be a good idea to use 29+ gauge needles, i swear 31g doesn't even hurt.

also, you talked about blood flowing in the wrong direction... shoot in the direction the blood flows - away from your hand. also, remember to register... and be careful

peace

We have an entire megathread on IV technique and complications, as well has hundreds of other threads just like this one.. please use the search engine next time before creating a new thread.

I'm just gonna merge this with the IV mega instead of closing it, as you'll get good info there.

Micron filters will save your veins too. Good technique, fresh sharps, all these count, but long-term, micron filtering can save you injecting whatever thoughtless, vein-damaging cut someone decided to stretch with.

^^

Yeah if you can get into the habit of micron filtering, you'd be doing your veins and overall health a huge service. It's a shame most IV users don't even know about them. Needle exchanges don't give them out or educate on them, they are kinda pricey, and people just dont even know they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.