• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] Describe your worst psychedelic experience(s)!

mountain said:
Does this mean 10.5 grams? I assume you mean two eighths by 'quad', and that you thus mean an eighth by 'half [of a quad]', making a total of three eighths (3.5 grams * 3).
Yeah that is correct, sorry should have been a bit more specific.

tass4243 said:
Oh shit, thats pretty bad with the acid. Thats why you need a sitter. Speaking of needing a sitter.

A friend of mine was friends with 3 kids a few years ago, next to the town I live in. I guess all three of them took about a quad and a half of shrooms each. So they had no sitter, and were running around this city at 3 AM, naked. Well, the girl my friend knew tripped the hell out on 3 8ths and ended up running across the 101 freeway, and was killed when she was hit by car. Her other two friends who were tripping also on the same amount, were just watching her run across or something. Really sucked =/

I guess the two friends are in prison now for a long time, though I'm not sure what exactly the charges were. I hear it was for manslaughter for providing the shrooms to her...but I'm not too sure.

I remember that. Thousand Oaks area, right?

johanneschimpo said:
I remember that. Thousand Oaks area, right?
Correct, I live in Camarillo, which is right next to there. Was actually Newburry Park...but most people just bunch that in with Thousand Oaks.

I was hiking with my wife in a beautiful, but cold and damp canyon, peppered with georgeous waterfalls. Both of us on 5 grams of mushrooms. It was this day that she found out about her propensity to faint on high doses when faced with overwhelming sensory input.

We were standing behind this enormous waterfall, looking up at the flowing torrent of water, when suddenly her face went ghost white, and beads of sweat instantly covered her face. Her eyes rolled back and she dropped backwards against a jagged, rock wall. I grabbed her head just before she hit, and helped her limp, unconscious body to the ground where I propped her against the wall. I sat there, in utter panic, not knowing what was going on nor how to deal with it, tripping my nuts off in a State park.

It was horrible. I suddenly realized dusk was upon us. We were inadequately dressed for the coming cold, and we were three miles from the car over very steep trails. Well, thankfully she came to after some time, and a half hour later we were able to lumber back to the car and sober up before heading home, both of us shaking our heads for being so careless. That day I learned a lot about harm reduction. Since that day we do not align our trips. We offset our peaks significantly to allow us to sit for each other.

As for you nbsp ... what can one say ... jesus.

Great thread by the way!

By the way, an interesting note. At Erowid, there are different categories of trip reports, three of which are "Bad Trips", "Difficult Experiences", and "Train Wrecks and Trip Disasters". At first, the meanings were not apparent to me.

The first is what it is, a bad trip that yields nothing but badness. The next one is what many of us can appreciate, those difficult trips that might seem bad at the time, but yield positive results during or afterwards. The Train Wreck is that trip that isn't necessarily good nor bad, but results in catastrophe or mass fuckuppery such as the highway death and the shooting above.

I think Erowid and friends have done a fantastic job at cataloging a new language to define the psychedelic experience.

nbsp said:
it was hectic, yes, but it didn't stick with me or ruin my life or anything; I'm fine. It was well worth a story, though, and I never typed it out in so much detail, so I figured what the hell. Thanks for reading though. :)

So this best friend of yours, who shot himself...did you ever want to tell his parents why?

The worst psychedelic experience for me was also the most profound.

Having spent the first half of the trip with my eyes shut, melding and pulsing in time with psychedelic trance, I felt like getting up. I was in the sunless front room of my friend's house, he was sitting, eyes closed on the sofa beside me.

I went to his computer to change the music, he then came in to help me do it.

'I don't know how to work it' I said.

'It's OK, let me', he replied.

A pang of icy paranoia hung around the back of my head.

'It's not like I don't know how to do it I just can't work it out and I want to hear some other tunes' I gabbled, feeling a gap yawning darkly open between us.

Suddenly my reality split, a ragged bifurcation whereby my head seemed to be in two places at once. The minuscule machinations of my body: blinking, breathing, shifting from foot to foot felt reeled off, pre-recorded, out of my control. Simultaneously, I was also perceiving myself talking, but back-wards, spinning out of line. I kept quiet, felt my face go white, and went to sit down.

Horror filled the room for me then.

We got to talking, as inside my nerves seemed to creep back on themselves, as if my scales had been ripped the wrong way.

We sat talking for hours. We tried to get to the basis of why LSD paranoia erupts, and seemed to get it down to the essence. However, each time we pinned it down, it disappeared- We couldn't remember it. My friend's face seemed white now, and I could tell he was also lurching from an unknown horror in his sunless living room at 4AM.

Eventually we defined 'Dissonance' as the concept which was upsetting us. But each time we tried to define dissonance, it dragged us deeper into its labyrinthine loop. There was, we both felt, something violently demonic about the notion, which would not let us escape it. We could read each other's thoughts at this point, and both felt as if we were dying. My friend's eyes shrunk in his head and he seemed to become frail, his tone becoming monochrome.

We couldn't drag each other out of this cruel pool, and both of us were seizing up from this horror. For 2 hours we tried, staring into each other's eyes, the unholy gap kept yawning open between us.

And then we found it.

We realized that any attempt to 'look cool' or 'cover our asses' with each other, even the slightest hint of that which was not genuine, was causing this dissonance. To be in sync, we had to be real, and be with that reality for each other completely. It took 3 hours and a long, long walk. We also uncovered a lump of an emotional problem I'd been holding onto about my dad.

Eventually we managed to clear the air, but the heaviness of the evening hung like caustic smoke about my head for a week.

LSD, the most powerful monster I know. It's labyrinths contain a Minotaur.

Ever met it?

theghostofbillhicks said:
So this best friend of yours, who shot himself...did you ever want to tell his parents why?
dude suggested his parents already knew what was happening, earlier in the night. He motioned to the noises upstairs; I listened and heard footsteps right outside the basement door. I'm not sure if he meant to imply his parents were in on it, or just that they were in tune with the guy well enough to realize he was having some pivotal coming-out-of-the-closet moment at the time, or what. Additionally I don't know how badly my dose was skewing my perception, at all. I did have thoughts of resolving things with his parents after this happened, all things considered...but I also know if they seeked additional closure so badly, they could and would have contacted me. I was on good terms with his folks and they knew how to get ahold of me.

upon coming upstairs from the basement, I saw his parents up and walking around, even walking around in the background after I stepped out of the house. I have a hard time imagining they didn't know what happened.

theghostofbillhicks said:
We realized that any attempt to 'look cool' or 'cover our asses' with each other, even the slightest hint of that which was not genuine, was causing this dissonance. To be in sync, we had to be real, and be with that reality for each other completely.
interesting. I had a moment like this just last night on a low dose of 2C-T-7 between my girl and I. Neither of us were overpowered by the chem but it was definitely an issue pervading our interactions for a brief period, complicated further by my difficulty in communicating it. We ended up fine, but even the slightest desynchronization of our souls will irk me sometimes.

being pure is harder than it sounds. Encouraging one's purity carries with it the connotation of faulting one's impurity. These kinds of self-propagating cycles apply to innumerable other avenues when purity is not present. I hate feeling tangibly inconvenienced as a being by my own personhood. I hate seeing it in loved ones as well.

The worst psychedelic experiences I have been through were not caused by internal conflict, but external circumstances.

1. I was tripping on almost a gram of dxm in a car with a very bad driver and my brother (both also on dxm, back in my very stupid days). We turned offf of a side road to go into the downtown area to buy a bag, and almost hit a cop who was walking the area on foot. The instant the car came to a stop, he was screaming "turn off the car" and "whats wrong with your eyes" and standing so as to block us from trying to run. He hauled the driver out immediatley and began to interrogate him. I was left alone in the car watching my friend getting roughed up and searched. The officer than made my friend sit on the curb while proceeding to search the car which was full of stems, seeds, and random pariphenilia. We immediatly began to object to the search, knowing we were already fucked at that point. He began to ask all sorts of questions about what we had taken and noone told him a thing. My brother began to spout remarks about how he was violating our rights by searching the car and holding us without arresting us or asking for permission to search. Through some act of cosmic kindness, he had decided that we were becoming noticibly more sober as he was questioning us (no shit, cops tend to kill buzzes quick) and told us to walk around downtown for at least an hour before we attempted to drive out of the area. We think that since the cop was WAY abusive with our friend, and did not want to be held accountable for it, he cut us a break and let us go. Still, it was a very rough experience.

2. This one is documented on erowid, but I have to mention it anyway.
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=21488. I found out recently that (james, the guy that went off his fucking nut) was also smoking pcp the night in question. I should mention I was also on 18mg of foxy when I found out that james went fuckin' nutz, and went to a very dark place myself.

I have more, but no time to write them up now:\

Wow, some of you have really had some bad experiences. I could never even imagine some of that shit happening while I was tripping.

My worst experience relating to psychedelics occured just a few months ago. Although I wasn't tripping at the time, my friend was on 25mg 4-aco-dmt

We were walking around my girlfriend's neighborhood at night (it's a real nice looking neighborhood) and we ran into a mean ass pitbull. The dog kept chewing on my pants, growling and barking at us. We look around and there are no close by fences to jump or debris to hurl and defend ourselves with. And it's a fucking pitbull. I'm circling around two garbage cans, while the dog chases me barking, looking ready to kill.

I remembered that I have a phone, and called my girl, who was almost too busy smoking her bong to pick up, and thankfully picked us up before it attacked.

Frightening would be a good description.:\

3 said:
I remembered that I have a phone, and called my girl, who was almost too busy smoking her bong to pick up, and thankfully picked us up before it attacked.
I was walking some great distance home a while back, still tripping on acid from earlier in the night, and decided to take what I figured would be a shortcut back to my house through a bigass field.

as I'm out here in the middle of nowhere, I hear two angry dogs behind me, getting closer. Eventually they get so close I can think of nothing to do but run. They ended up catching up to me and they were just as angry as they sounded. I had to beat them off with my fists. They mistook me for a chew toy apparently. Dogs eventually winded down and left me alone, but not before they fucked me up a little bit and ruined my goddamn night.

I hate all unsupervised dogs.

nbsp said:

I hate all unsupervised dogs.

Yes. If I ever saw that same dog out like that again I would consider hitting it with my car. I am the last person to kill and animal, infact I am the kind of person who is always finding peoples lost dogs and returning them, but this could honestly save someones life. I know where that dog lives now and it is by a very popular jogging road. I warned plenly of joggers off when I drove by later that night/morning and the fucker was still out, and I am really surprised nobody got fucked up (pitbulls are nothing to fuck with, when they're mean).

I even tried calling animal control, since I couldn't wake the owners up with my horn and the dog barking and jumping on my car. They were closed, so I tried the police, who basically told me to fuck off (I'm not surprised...).

What angers me the most however is that this dog was trained this way, to be mean as hell, in a relatively nice area where it is really not necessary. Pitbulls are sweet dogs in my experience, untill somebody trains them to be so bad. And if you have a crazy dog like that, it is your responsibility to keep that fucker withing your property. I feel really lucky that I didn't get seriously fucked up/ killed that night.

morninggloryseed said:
(...) I think the 'worst' trip therefore would be the first time I took 5-MeO-DIPT (...)
(...) Another 5-MeO-DiPT trip was shitty...took 8mg at a Dylan concert.(...)

I agree. Yours and my trip on 5-MeO-DIPT is not really anything like eachother, but I will never touch that awful shit ever again. I've made a other thread for this trip already. I wrote it a few months ago but I left out a ton of stuff in that "report".

Won't be getting into any more details(old nor new ones) but I took about ~50mg 5-MeO-DIPT by mistake(a mix up), being totally unprepared for it, the effects hit me like a fucking brickwall falling straight down on my face.

I'm amazed that I didn't end up on a mental institution afterwards. I'm quite experienced with 'most' known RC's and I have a ton of shroom and LSD trips under my belt, including many, many bad and rough one's. But this one trip is what made me stop using all psychedelics whatsoever(except for some small shroom trips once about every other month, tops).

Totally fucking insane, that's all I can say about my 5-MeO-DIPT "adventure". I wouldn't even wish this kind of trip on my worst enemy. If I would have had access to a gun during the peak of this nightmare, I would have used it on myself, without a doubt.

Also, for the people saying that foxy(5-MeO-DIPT) is a weak psychedelic or something like that...remember that a high dose is not even on the same map as a small dose. This shit can take you to hell before you have got time to even blink. Hopefully you will come back with most of your brain in the right place.

Last edited:
The first time I ever tripped was probably the worst.

It can be summed up pretty easily. My new at the time (and still current) girlfriend (whom was very experienced with acid/MDMA/K, a raver) was on lithium and took 2c-i with us. About as soon as we (4 of us tripping for the first time and her, plus two sitters) started tripping, she went into seziures and a psychotic episode. As I was completely ignorant of drugs at the time and freaking out, I convinced everyone to let me ride it out with her alone in a bedroom. It was about four hours of her thrashing about, fighting with me and horrible mood swings - all while saying about a phrase an hour. She had 4 seizures that night and is probably lucky to be alive, no thanks to me.

The shittiest part is that she had klonopin right there in her purse and was begging for it the entire time - she was asking for the 'yellow' pill, but there were two yellow ones (Lithum and Klonopin). As I was inexperienced and scared, I gave her nothing (which was kind of good, as had I gave her the lithium she prolly would have died).

According to her, she was in an upside-down world that was all the wrong colors. She says she was having conversations constantly throughout the experience and that she was convinced that me and my friends were all fucking with her (as in, she was the only one dosed). The weird thing is that she barely talked the entire time she had the episode, saying maybe a sentence or two an hour - nonsensical and cryptic ones at that.

The entire ordeal prompted me to start researching hard reduction, essentially... had I realised how much information was freely available on the web beforehand, it probably would have never happened. I am just very glad that she survived.

complete confusion leading to paranoia beyond belief.

I ate a whole quarter (7 grams) of dried psilocybin (mushrooms). I was ate a friends brother in laws basement.. whom i was pretty comfortable with. We had about 4-5 friends there total and only 3 or so of us ate shrooms.

It started off great i just noticed sweet patterns on the ceiling like lions and dragons etc. Then I started rapping on my laptop with cooledit pro and some friends. Heres where shit got twisted. I forgot to plug the laptop into the wall so i didnt realize the battery was quickly diminishing!

All of a sudden I am freestyling and the music stops playing. "WTF!" I am thinking.. oh well i keep going anyways,.... then the timer that shows how far i have gone so far starts flipping in all 0's!! I had never or have never had that effect since on a drug and it was rather fascinating minus the confusion.

At this point I start to panic and i look around like wtf is going on. I try and fiddle with it for a little bit but I am so confused i just shut the laptop down. At this point I am pretty worried and now I am thinking someone is going to take my drug money. I start pulling it out and counting it non stop.

My friends start to notice I am flustered at this point and ask if i am ok. I tell one of them no not really and I start sweating profusely. At this point I get up and start pacing. FOR SURE i am thinking that my friends brother in law (a big burley guy) is gonna try n fight me and take my money. I keep giving him the evil "WTF u looking at" i keep thinking.

At this point the trip takes a turn for the worse. I ask one of my friends to take me home. immediately plz i start to beg hurry up. The whole ride home i am freaking out almost crying telling him "dude what do i do... i hate this how can i change what is happening!?" now this is a friend i didnt particularly think was the smartest cookie but he either said the perfect thing or i was just too fucked up and i thought he did.

He tells me... "Man just close your eyes... relax... and think of something great... something or someone you love... something better in your life" and i instantly relax. At this point I am like.. "thank you so much bro I really appreiate it... u really helped me." I have no clue what I thought of or if it was just the thought and concern that changed my demeanor.

Soon as he dropped me off i ran upstairs and everyone was sleeping thank god. I went to the bathroom and induced vomiting for about 30 min. Anyone whos ever puked on shrooms knows how nasty and bitter that slime is. After the vomiting i completely calmed down and soon went to sleep. PHEW that was a rough one. Mr Big Balls stopped eating quarters of shrooms after that

Toss up between 1.5 bottles of Robitussin DX and becoming absolutely fried for half the day and then needed 2 days to recover. That and a fair bit of Meth + 40mg Stilnox and hallucinating for like 6 hours, absolutely tripping.

i'll keep it really short

my first time tripping on Acid a friend and i went to Universal Studios City Walk which is a like a mini city where you can go to the theme parks, movies, clubs, restaurants, shops, etc. we took one hit and then wandered around some hotels until it started hitting us and i was having a good time just looking at the wallpaper in the hallways. we got onto a boat which took us back to city walk and took another hit. we started walking around the club area and it was just too much noise and too many drunk people freaking us out so we went to the hard rock hotel which was awesome until one of the managers came up and started talking to us because he could tell we were on some kind of drug (my friend stupidly wore a "united pot smokers" shirt and we were staring at pictures not saying a word.) he ended up being cool but we were freaked out so we went to the car to calm down. we couldnt fine our cell phones and my friend completely forgot what a cell phone was. we went to see a movie but it was too much for him so we left 20 minutes in, wasting 15 dollars. he was still freaking out a bit so i decided we needed to go home but we didnt come with a sitter and were still tripping hard. i ended up driving at 2am on the highway while it was raining which was at time horrifying but at time very fun like when the road turned into water. overall, all i can say is that it was an experience.

My "worst" trip is one in which I learned a good solid lesson about set and setting. It was horrifying at the time but like all of my experiences I wouldn't take it back because it helped to make me who I am.

It was my third trip ever, when I was 18, in college. My best friend decided to pick up an ounce of mushrooms from another of our good friends. It was summer, and I lived in the dorms that year, so we were all home at our parents' houses. One night, we decided we'd meet up at my parents' house (where we hung out mostly because my parents are fun to be around and we have a big attic we would always spend the night doing drugs in), with our friend S who was still in high school. It was my best friend's and my third trip (all on mushrooms), and S's first.

Anyway, the night came, and at about 10pm, we went up to the attic with everything we felt we would need for a good night, and ate about an eighth each. The first time I had had the most transcendent experience of my life even to this day, with a half eighth of very good mushrooms. The previous time I had had some weak mushrooms (as I found out later) and had a whole eighth, and had a very positive but underwhelming experience.

Well, we promised each other that we would stay upstairs the whole night no matter what to avoid trouble. But the instant the mushrooms started to hit, S and I were both like "fuck this! We're going downstairs and outside!". My best friend (B) protested and said he felt nervous about it (he is quite prone to anxiety anyway, but was right), but we basically made him come with us. As soon as we got downstairs, we realized that my entire family was still awake and watching TV! S started to get all egotistical (as he always does) and loud. He was talking to my parents in a very matter-of-fact voice which I thought would give us away immediately. Then he began talking to my little brother who was 11 at the time about how life was fragile and he (my little brother) could die at any second, and the world could end at any time. My little brother was playing with legos on the floor and was looking at S with a very strange look. I began to get nervous and paranoid, thinking we would for sure be caught. My family was starting to look at us weird.

So I dragged us all upstairs again for a little while to play video games until my family went to bed, which fortunately did not take much longer. But by that time, we were all pretty fucked up. S kept getting louder and louder about how these mushrooms were bullshit and he barely felt anything, and from now on he would stick with Ecstacy (which he did). He would not shut up with saying all these egotistical things that sounded so suspect, and my family was just a few rooms away.

Anyway, they settled in to bed, and we went downstairs and went outside. Before going out, I decided to bring my family dog and a blanket of my mom's which I wrapped around my shoulders because it was chilly.We went outside and I felt much better, like the weight of the world and society were lifted from my shoulders. B was not feeling better, though. We were walking around, smoking cigarettes, getting tangled in my dog's leash, and engaging in such suspicious activities as laying down on the side of the road on the blanket and staring up at the sky. S was, as usual, bitching about how lame the mushrooms were, loudly. B freaked out badly every time a car was visible coming towards us. He thought every one was the police. He was hallucinating strongly at this point and was seeing them as cop cars with lights and everything. At this point, my visuals were very vague, just a sparkle and glow to the world with a few crawling and bending objects. We smoked cigarettes throughout, which was nice (I used to smoke back then, as did we all).

After a little bit, B was freaking out quite a bit and I was feeling uncomfortable, especially since S was calling us pussies and bitches whenever we seemed to feel uncomfortable. He was alternating between saying he felt awesome and the experience was awesome and that it was stupid and lame. We decided to go back inide. My friends went in before me. The house was really dark. I walked in then with my dog and the blanket, and suddenly, my mom's very angry voice assaulted my now heavily-tripping self from the dark staircase: "What are you doing out there? Why does my dog smell like smoke? Why does my blanket smell like smoke?? You know, you left the door open! Someone could have walked in and the cats could have gotten out!" And worst of all, she pulled out a bag of marijuana and a pipe and said "I found these in B's bag. Don't you ever bring drugs into my house again! I could get the house taken away for this!" I was floored. My stomach dropped out. I responded, and it felt like I said something like "Uh, well, um... that... yeah, um...". I thought for sure I was caught . According to my friend B, I actually was quite coherent and it amazed him. I must have done alright because my mom just scoffed at me and went back to bed. Somehow she missed the giant ziplock bag of mushrooms in B's bag. She had to have seen the bag, because it was surrounding the bag of marijuana. Maybe she just didn't know what they looked like. But she would have been very scared to find "hard drugs" on us!

So she went to bed without further incident, and even gave the bag of weed back to us for some reason. But by then it was too late. I was spiralling violently downward into a very negative and overwhelming trip. I went to the darkened living room where my other friends were sitting, hiding from my mom, and sat down silently. The visuals, which before had been missing, now came on with a terrible vengeance. My world was spinning into a dark vortex in front of me. Nothing made sense. Everything was swirling, swirling, spinning, being sucked into the center of this vortex. Horrible thoughts of self-deprecation continually assaulted me. I thought about how I was a terrible son, a loser druggie, obsessed with being fucked up. Why would I have taken these holy mushrooms in such a terrible setting?? WHY?? Would I ever be normal again? We sat in the same positions the entire night, in the pitch black living room, just lost in our heads, experiencing horrible anxieties for hours and hours. It was horrendous.

5:00am rolled around, and suddenly we felt the weight lift. The mushroom afterglow hit us, and we went upstairs to my room and started talking and laughing. We talked and talked non-stop and never slept, mostly about how awesome it was to be back to sobriety. They vowed to never touch psychedelics again. They felt that they were given one last chance at sanity and that next time they would never recover. I knew I would use them again and I realized what the problem was. The setting was terrible! Eating mushrooms at my parents' house while they were awake and then going downstairs to interact with them? Come on, now! I didn't use any psychedelic for over a year from then, though.

Anyway, life went on, as it always does. B and S really never did take a psychedelic again (except years later, when I gave B some 2C-I and we tripped. He didn't want to repeat it but by 2.5 hours in, he was enjoying himself as we listened to Shpongle and some others. This time in the safety of his own bedroom!). B is still my best friend. He went through years of drug problems, alcohol throughout, cocaine for a while (which almost killed him and was the major factor in him leaving college to live with his parents). Then he was using opiates daily, oxy and heroin mostly. He would get it in the city and get robbed, and beat up once. I was really worried about him and definitely feared for his life, and for a few months he no longer considered me his friend because of some stupid living situation bullshit and his feeling that my girlfriend was taking me away from him, and because of coke paranoia. Fortunately, though, a year after I moved across the country after graduating college, he got a job playing trombone on a cruise ship for 5 months at a time, and has totally changed. He's happy, has a serious girlfriend who works with him on the ship and just so happens to be from 2 minutes away from his childhood home, and he still drinks but no longer has drug problems, or at least has no time to have them. He has realized that he just needed to get out and make things happen for himself instead of festering in anxiety in his parents' basement.

S and I grew apart later that year due to him being an increasingly egotistical asshole, and moreso because he hated my girlfriend (now fiance) and blamed her for me growing apart from him even though it was his fault for being really mean to her to her face and constantly telling me to "leave that fucking bitch", and being just generally an immature high school kid. His negative traits got really bad and he became a heavy Ecstacy user and a massive alcoholic. The few times I went to his house after that, he would be incoherently drunk by 9pm, and passed out by 10. He would get ragingly angry at everyone and everything, yell about how great he was, try to fight everyone, fall over, and sleep until noon. His close friends said he did that every night without fail. He went to the Navy after that year and last I heard he's doing okay.

And as for me, I moved across the country with my fiance (then girlfriend) almost 2 years ago, after college, and began using psychedelics a lot which, along with other things, has helped to put me in touch with my spirituality and I live most every day in paradise.

Last edited: