• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football 2006 Thread

do people really call them the silver bullets? thats pretty awful. fuckin top game though. i actually dont have a complaint. i enjoy watching ohio state so much more when they're able to establish the ground game; it really makes the other weapons of the offense so much more dangerous. im fuckin stoked for the rest of this season!

Next 6 OSU opponents are all strugglingAssociated Press
College Football News Wire

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State is looking at an easy October
schedule, and that might be hard to handle for the top-ranked
Buckeyes.

The task at hand will be trying to get pumped up for Bowling
Green, followed by the five bottom teams in the Big Ten, after
handling the likes of defending national champion Texas and Top 25
teams Penn State and Iowa in September.

"Even harder than September," Buckeyes guard T.J. Downing
said. "October is going to be hard for us because we're going to
have to make sure we're on top of our game, that we're bringing our
'A' game every time we play.

"Yeah, it was tough playing Iowa, Texas and Penn State. And
Cincinnati was one of the toughest games we played. But we've just
got to be sure when a team like Bowling Green comes in that we're
not misfiring. It's going to be hard to get up."

Don't bet against the Buckeyes (5-0).

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel will try to keep his team motivated
and on top of its game, knowing full well the next six opponents --
leading up to the annual showdown against No. 6 Michigan -- went a
combined 2-10 the past two weeks.

First up is Saturday's game against Bowling Green (3-2), which
has been pounded by Wisconsin and Kent State.

"Now I guess the question at hand is just how good would we
like to get?" Tressel said. "There's no way that you can keep
getting better if you don't make sure that you're focusing on
what's happening right now, right this second. (That is) maybe one
of the most difficult things for human beings to do, but that's
what we have to make sure that we do."

After Bowling Green, it's back to the Big Ten basement. Only one
of the five bottom teams has a winning record, Michigan State. The
other four are each 2-3 -- Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern and
Minnesota.

The Spartans may be over .500, but have become one of the most
disappointing teams in the nation. They blew a big fourth-quarter
lead to Notre Dame and then lost at home last week to Illinois, a
26-point underdog that had lost 24 of its last 25 league games.

There is no question, however, that the upcoming opponents won't
be looking past the Buckeyes.

"If I were Bowling Green and hadn't had the season to this
point that I had hoped for, I would be saying to myself, what
better way to right this wrong, so to speak, than to come out and
beat the No. 1 team in the nation?" Ohio State receiver Anthony
Gonzalez said. "There's no better way to get a season back on
track than to do something like that. So I'm assuming that's what's
going through their minds and we have to be aware of that."

Safety Brandon Mitchell has never forgotten what it was like
when the Buckeyes were unbeaten and ranked No. 7 four games into
the 2004 season, only to be upset at Northwestern, 33-27, in
overtime.

"I vividly remember walking off the field and the fans
screaming, 'Overrated!' Just running past me, screaming,
'Overrated!' And I felt terrible," he said.

He ended up feeling even worse. The demoralized Buckeyes lost
the next two games.

Mitchell said the way to avoid hearing the 'Overrated!' chant
again is to tune out a lot of the outside talk.

"Everyone is going to pat us on the back and say, 'Well, you
made it through September. You beat three ranked teams. Now you can
just go on cruise control into Michigan," he said. "But we know
that you can't do that. As soon as you start getting full of
yourself and ... feeling like you don't have to prepare for a team,
that's when you get in trouble."

usc looked waaaaay beatable against washington state. as long as auburn remains unblemished they're gonna get their shot.

cal v. oregon is definitely getting hyped up as the big pac 10 match up this week, but i expect oregon to lose by a double digit margin.

Last edited:
sc's wins are getting ugly.

they should have started like this and got stronger, not the other way around.

but with me going to my first game in close to 10 years, they're bound to lose, just for me.

Cravn beets , you don't like the name "Silver Bullets?" Why not?

They are called that because they are bullet-fast at getting to the ball carrier. I LOVE IT!

University of Florida, National Champs. Sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
michigan scares me. they seem to be very well rounded, and incredibly stingy on defense. i have a feeling that game will come down to coaching in which case i like osu's chances.

crazy ass weekend. i hadnt seen georgia play before and was completely shocked to see them lose control the way they did last night. credit due to tennessee (particularly ainge) for sacking up and actually playing 4 quarters.

awwww burn ;) arkansas was the upset of the week if not the year... how does a team go from giving up under 100 yards per game on the ground to giving up nearly 300? the sec is crazy this year and it's gonna get a lot crazier when floriday shites it next week to the same auburn team who got beat by an unranked team the week before.

cant wait to watch the buckeyes put another nail into john l smith's coffin. i wouldnt be suprised if that guy resigned before the end of the season.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VkKGD-O1WLI

that guy isnt right :\

Last edited:
Beenhead said:
University of Florida, National Champs. Sounds pretty good.

hope you liked the sound of it. say it aloud a few times; thats the closest you're going to come to hearing it

faris said:
if auburn doesn't make the national game this year (presuming they maintain their play) i'm gonna shoot everyone involved in the BCS.

someone wanna make sure that faris stays in the state?

I've never heard this silver bullet reference, but who cares - we're #1!

so is it possible that the PAC 10 is a tougher conference than anyone is giving them credit for?

There was alot of bad calls in sc/wash, never heard that many boo's at any game before, or seen that much referree involvment in a football game.

SC had points taken off the board, long runs called back, 3 and outs taken away on bad calls, ref's messing up any sort of rhythm of the game, just ugly all around.

but SC's offense dose need to get clicking, and secondary needs to tighten up, or oregon, cal, and notre dame are going to pick them apart.

but did ya'll see auburn get murdered by arkansas at HOME!

there is nothing more aggravating in football than overzealous officiating, though. it just makes the game tedious.

on the other hand, blatant infractions need to be called. but i think some officials are just trying to show how clever they are calling minor/dubious infractions that just interfere with the tide of the game.

Kyle said:
so is it possible that the PAC 10 is a tougher conference than anyone is giving them credit for?

absolutely not. not this year anyway. i will say however that pac 10 officiating is bar none the worst i've seen in the country. thats something:)

you're sounding a bit worried about usc's prospects down the stretch... and rightfully so. the best team in the conference is in california, but not LA.

I'm ashamed to say i'm from Ga. after they rolled over on Tenn.. They should hold their heads down in shame because they gave that game away.Fla. is the best team iin the nation hands down.

I dont know about that. I think Ohio State is the best in the Nation. IF florida beats auburn at auburn then Id say we will roll right on through to at least the Second best Bowl game this year, (fiesta Bowl??) I just cant imagine Auburn Losing two in a row at home!

i cant see a team w/ a 2 quarterback system winning it all... especially in such a tough conference. i like auburn over uf this week

Auburn will be looking for some redemption after getting embarrassed by Arkansas,but I still believe Fla. may beat them.I can't say for sure,but as good as Auburn's defense is I still think Fla. has too much speed and talent to not put up some big numbers.It'll be the game to watch that's for sure.

I think Fla. could beat Ohio.and this is coming from a a Georgia guy who hates Fla..But there's no doubt they got a helluva team.

Lloyd Carr is refusing to comment on the status of Mario Manningham. Apparently, he was injured late in the MSU game, and is questionable for Penn State. If he can't perform, Adrian Arrington is going to have to man up to fill his spot for catching the long ball.