• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football 2006 Thread

huntmich said:
Lloyd Carr is refusing to comment on the status of Mario Manningham. Apparently, he was injured late in the MSU game, and is questionable for Penn State. If he can't perform, Adrian Arrington is going to have to man up to fill his spot for catching the long ball.

um could run dummy O vs penn state and still make a game of it...what cracks me up is how penn state fans still support paterno... loads of respect to him for being an icon of college football but i'll be damned if i want an incontinent old man running my team :\

cravNbeets said:
i cant see a team w/ a 2 quarterback system winning it all... especially in such a tough conference. i like auburn over uf this week

That doesnt make much sense seeing how we have beat all the best sec teams except Auburn, Georgia. Georgia lost to Tenn, and AUburn lost to LSU. LSU had one of the defenses in the nation and we walked all over them. Plus Ive heard countless people say LSU is much better than Auburn.

Plus our Quatrerbacks do things the other one doesnt... leak passes, Teebow runs the ball like vick, with the power of a tight end.

GA has a shot against auburn, but Fla is probably going to walk all over the Dawgs, and Hopefully, walk all over whoever makes it to the SEC championship game.

Beenhead said:
That doesnt make much sense seeing how we have beat all the best sec teams except Auburn, Georgia. Georgia lost to Tenn, and AUburn lost to LSU. LSU had one of the defenses in the nation and we walked all over them. Plus Ive heard countless people say LSU is much better than Auburn.

first of all, auburn didnt lose lsu... perhaps thats why things dont make sense to you. you dont seem to have a clear picture of the conference. on any given day they can beat anyone in the country and i dont see them getting done twice in two weeks in their own building.

that would be my logic. we can make a friendly wager if you're so inclined:)

the reason the 2 quarterback thing doesnt work imo has nothing to do with tangible factors or numbers. i know that they each fill certain roles thats why teams do it. with the position of quarterback comes a leadership role. having guys splitting time undermines team chemistry and confidence in the individual player. i've never really seen it work.

when I played college football, the two-quarterback system teams almost always couldn't pull through in the "big games." I'm afraid cravNbeets is correct. the reason behind this is because of what the intangibles the QB represents. he is the offensive leader of the unit. having two QBs kinda splits everything.

you need one person that emerges as the BEST and the ONLY option - someone that the team and more specifically the offensive line can rally around.

Yeah I kinda mixed up that one, and I understand the SEC very well, Ive been to every Gator home game since I was 5. LSU was a better team than Auburn and they lost by one point or something.

And you must not follow the gators much because the two quaterback system doeswork. I dont know if you watched the Florida-Florida state game I believe in 1999. Florida state was a National Championship caliber team then. Doug Johnson and Noaa Brendice pretty much alternated EVERY OTHER play. Florida won that game thanks to the "quaterback shuffle" as it was dubbed. Florida State with a much better team at the time didnt know what to think and could not adjust. The next season Florida played Tennesee at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, with pretty much the same system. Tennesee was also a Championship calibur team then too . They won that game also.

I would bet on the Florida Auburn game becasue looking at how they played against LSU and how we dominated LSU for 3 quarters, Auburn is going to have to pull some serious passing to beat us. I dont really think they can pull that off.

AXL, if anything, Its Florida's offensive line needs work. they caused many of our problems this season. (Delay of games) Leak and Tebow played excellent games.

the quarterback shuffle works if the two QBs are talented, but I am saying in the big games (National Championship caliber games) they often fall short.

Florida beating Tennessee or FSU beating Florida via two QBs hardly counts as a "big game." it is a win over a conference rival.

dude you're not getting it.... you can win games with 2 quarterbacks, no one is suggesting otherwise, but i cant recall a team going undefeated in the toughest conference in the nation without a singular starter at quarterback. if im wrong please correct me. the reason i talk about going undefeated is because thats what it takes to win the title. either osu or michigan will be undefeated at the end of the season and the only way uf is gonna play for the title is by being undefeated themselves.

Back in the nineties, the Florida Florida state game, and The Florida-Tennesee Game often decided who went to the national championship, and those years were no excpetion.
The system Florida is working does not rely too heavy on Tebow, he is thrown in during short yardage situations. last game he saw 15 snaps. Who has auburn played this year? LSU. Thats it. no other team they played so far was any good, now they play decent teams and they fall short. Their QB passes well in those games but in the LSU game, he could not pass as efficient. Saturday will tell. And if Florida does beat AUbrn, all they got left is Georgia and I believe florida can run the rest of the seaon unbeaten. The next real challenge will be the SEC championship when the may have to play LSU or AUburn again, hopefully Arkansas.
Youre right nobody has won a championship with the 2 qb system. Bobby Bowden had an excellent season in 79 with a similar system. But with our remaining schedule I dont expect to see the gators out until atleast georgia. If not the SEC championship.

Beenhead said:

Plus our Quatrerbacks do things the other one doesnt... leak passes, Teebow runs the ball like vick, with the power of a tight end.

Y'all did NOT walk all over LSU's defense....LSU's offense handed yall the game on a platter w/ 5 (6 if u count the kickoff safety) turnovers that gave UF a short field.....

Any other team would have gotten beaten wayyyy worse w/ 6 TO's...

Oh and btw...Not that im knockin UF b/c they are a VERY good team...but i believe AU will take it next week...Unlike LSU....AU has mental toughness and they will bounce back....IF UF does indeed win....Im a believer

you guys will see I guess. Auburn hasnt played anyone good except LSU and barely won. You'll see

anybody still tooting Auburn's whistle after their embarassing home loss against Arkansas, needs to get their head checked. the key to beating Auburn is taking Irons and their overall run game out of the picture. their QB has not convinced me yet that he is a force.

and I am going to say something that has been on my mind for awhile. everybody is quick to say that the SEC is the best conference in NCAA football. I think overrated is too harsh of a word to use, but I don't think they are as elite as some analysts say. I can say that if you put Ohio State or Michigan in the SEC, this year, that either team would win the conference championship. however, what is most impressive about the SEC is the middle-tier competition. I am talking about the mid-ranking teams that are not quite in the top but most def. not in the bottom. what's great about the SEC is that you can lose on any given day if you are not prepared (IE: Arkansas). I also think the SEC also closesly resembles the NFL in it's style of games and overall atmosphere. they are mostly physical games that are dependant on the defense's preformance.

with that being said, does anybody have any idea who is in the lead for the Heisman race???

Beenhead said:
you guys will see I guess. Auburn hasnt played anyone good except LSU and barely won. You'll see

crazy how that shitty Arkansas beat the crap out of them at home. damn crappy teams always kick your ass don't they

<--- will now bite tongue until SC get's it's offense and secondary together.

AxL BLaZe said:
with that being said, does anybody have any idea who is in the lead for the Heisman race???

I'm partial to Troy Smith or Anthony Gonzalez. =D

sickpuppy said:
^I keep hearing Adrian Perterson's name come up.

i keep seeing his name 2 lines down from troy smith

axl i think the only way you can say that the sec is overrated is by also saying that the highly ranked top tier teams are also overrated. i think there are 2 or 3 teams in the sec who would be undefeated if they played in [read] ANY other conference

Goergia had it's ass handed to it by Vanderbilt.How pathetic.My prediction this year is that Florida will win the National Championship.Well it looks like Adrian Peterson won't be winning the Heisman this year.Some of the ESPN commentators were saying it could be a carreer ending injury.I don't believe that but he won't be playing anymore college ball.

Last edited: