• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

Nice, thanks :)

I'm working on my resume now, actually! Looking for work is a drag, but it's fun fantasising about all the cool stuff I can buy when I get back into the mining industry :D

Both places I've worked have made it clear that supervisors will get in trouble if they go above "meets expectations" without a clear and compelling reasons. And both places had one supervisor who ignored that and gave all her people 5 out of 5 when everyone else was getting 3 out of 5. Oh well. Hang in there. You know you're doing a good job and that's what counts. (Or say "fuck it" and just start meeting expectations. LOL)

True, I've heard it's like that in many organizations. Basically everyone gets "meets expectations" even if they are doing an awesome job. It's so frustrating. I wonder what my coworkers got. I hope they didn't get any better than me LOL. My manager is pretty awesome, I really do like her, I just think that maybe she doesn't fully get what I do. I dunno. I'm feeling better about it today but still kind of annoyed.

i didn't wanna say it for liability reasons. but depending on where you are in life, llama. this could feel really good.

As a 23 year old who has only been working here full time for a year (part time for 2 yrs though), I'm probably not at the point where I want to do that. I mean, I kinda want to, to show people what "meets expectations" really is, but that is a bit immature. Tempting, but probably not the best solution.

fine, be adult about it. does it directly affect your annual raise? did you happen to ask what you can do to begin exceeding expectations? the question serves a purpose beyond receiving an answer.

dude, it's only wednesday and i've already had a lunch meeting and a breakfast meeting. which is delicious when you work downtown. both times the other company picked up the bill. with one, i even grabbed the bill first and insisted because we were meeting about him doing us an ongoing, (kinda) one-way favor. 501(c)(3), baby!

how's the resume going, soul mate?

oh, and today when of my coworkers was interviewed on a radio show. which i did not make happen. i don't even really know anything about it because the president forgot to copy me on any of the emails. she just came up to me yesterday afternoon and said, "only one person can do the interview tomorrow because they don't like two via phone at the same time. do you think it should be me or *****?" the other person is a really great speaker, though we were thinking maybe not on radio for reasons that will become clear. after figuring out whatthefuck we were talking about, i still went with this person over the president. for good reason.

i fucked up. it wasn't a disaster, just a waste. the radio host was trying to get my black coworker to comment on some opposing politicians' opinions about a racial controversy (over a fucking newspaper headline), and "my man" -- what he calls everybody -- wasn't going for it. so the interview ended up being like two minutes of nonsense. my coworker didn't know how to force in our message. he tried. he didn't succeed. the president would have either taken the interview in our direction or accepted it's bust and rolled out hard-to-interrupt sentences with our company name and keywords.

when the radio host was wrapping up and flat asking my coworker to plug our organization, he gave his cellphone number and said "yeah, we're out there on the computer for people." oops.

how's the resume going, soul mate?
I'm a perfectionist, so it's still going ;)

I guess I'll keep touching it up for each job, depending on what the position is. I did include some things like sports I had done. As it is the mining industry, it is beneifical to show what will be done in spare time while on site, as it can get pretty boring in mining towns. I hope to get a FIFO job though, so I can have a life :)

Back in kansas city mo/kansas doin the line thang.
Fuck it feels good to return to work!

Llama, sucks about your review! Glad to hear you're taking the high road, though.

Hydro, that's awful! At least your coworker didn't take the radio host's bait. Now THAT would've been bad.

Soul mate, good luck with your job search! I'm quite good at writing resumes, so give me a shout if you need help.

D's, glad you're back to work. Is there many women who work the line life?

Thanks tude, yep theres a few. Butchy as fuck lmao.

What really fucking sucks is i wont see a paycheck for another two weeks.this is going to really suck.

I should work the line life and bring some womanliness to it lol!

I can imagine being paid biweekly must suck! I would hate that.

What's wrong with being paid biweekly? I really didn't mind it much.

I guess I'm spoiled since I get paid every week lol. I just couldn't wait two weeks for my pay. And I really feel bad for those who get paid monthly.

True, I've heard it's like that in many organizations. Basically everyone gets "meets expectations" even if they are doing an awesome job. It's so frustrating. I wonder what my coworkers got. I hope they didn't get any better than me LOL. My manager is pretty awesome, I really do like her, I just think that maybe she doesn't fully get what I do. I dunno. I'm feeling better about it today but still kind of annoyed.

As a 23 year old who has only been working here full time for a year (part time for 2 yrs though), I'm probably not at the point where I want to do that. I mean, I kinda want to, to show people what "meets expectations" really is, but that is a bit immature. Tempting, but probably not the best solution.

Illama if I ever did not get a good review this end of the year I will freakin flip!! Did you get a raise at all? They better give me a bonus and raise for busting my ass of and as a coverage for doing three jobs. If they won't give it to me then that will be the last sraw, bye bye from Maya...

Soul mate, good luck with your job search! I'm quite good at writing resumes, so give me a shout if you need help.
Thanks, Tude. Mine is about two pages, but I could make it longer. Does that sound fairly standard for a resume?

Thanks, Tude. Mine is about two pages, but I could make it longer. Does that sound fairly standard for a resume?

If you are going for a standard resume (not a CV), then in most industries I have always heard that one should try to make their resume a single page. That being said, I'm not sure how an HR department in the mining industry works. Depending upon the industry and position, it may be acceptable to have a multiple page resume. Still, I would try to be as brief and concise as possible. Yes it is possible to be too wordy, which could cause it to be placed at the bottom of the stack or thrown out.

If you are going for a standard resume (not a CV), then in most industries I have always heard that one should try to make their resume a single page. That being said, I'm not sure how an HR department in the mining industry works. Depending upon the industry and position, it may be acceptable to have a multiple page resume. Still, I would try to be as brief and concise as possible. Yes it is possible to be too wordy, which could cause it to be placed at the bottom of the stack or thrown out.

I agree! I have always kept my resume in a single page with concise information and have always gotten interviews in a few days or so.

Thanks, Jerry :)

I'll edit it down to a page, then.

I guess I'm spoiled since I get paid every week lol. I just couldn't wait two weeks for my pay. And I really feel bad for those who get paid monthly.

Haha I guess it depends on the person. I don't really care how often I get paid, as long as I get paid for what I worked. I get paid twice a month (on the 15th and 30th).

Illama if I ever did not get a good review this end of the year I will freakin flip!! Did you get a raise at all? They better give me a bonus and raise for busting my ass of and as a coverage for doing three jobs. If they won't give it to me then that will be the last sraw, bye bye from Maya...

I hope you get an awesome review!!! You deserve it!!
No news about a raise yet. I do get a bonus (an average bonus since I was just "average").

Don't submit a resume longer than two pages! Aha I know we won't even look at resumes over two pages. As soon as it runs onto a third page... it just gets thrown in the trash. One or two pages is fine though :) The cover letter should summarize anything not on your resume that is relevant to the specific job.

a huge percent of the resumes we get spill onto the second page. mine sure doesn't. these are often positions that require an extensive work history in the field and/or education including a master's degree. the third page is 100 percent true. i am not part of the hiring process but i've been pulled into it for moments, and they are not looking at 3-page resumes.

holy smokes, i've been working nonprofit for over a year now. can't believe i'm such a sucker. this crazy woman i work with -- kinda, she's an employee but like paid a dollar or not really an employee -- invited me to this event during work hours because "it's important that you be there." i'm sure i've bitched about her in this thread before. "important" as in for work. now it turns out there is going to be an ask at the event, and this insane coworker who is so rich she just fucks around for free is the head of asking our table. like fuck will i wake my ass up for work and then be pressured into paying to be there. a coworker about my age is going as well, she makes no more than i, is certainly there under the same bullshit pretense, and i am curious about her take on this situation. i will find out today. not like i couldn't give the minimum ask and not break budget for the month, but i won't be pressured, i really am not at a point in life where i can just give money away because it's the thing to do -- the three orgs i actually want to give to get that money -- and i've already decided no.

edit:
shit. forgot to ask her. well she what she does tomorrow. i don't even own a checkbook. though nonprofit marketing knows this about millennials. wouldn't be shocked if they have a special "donate now" page setup for this event.

edit again:
actually that this woman included my coworker and i (among her rich invitees) might mean this shit is important to her beyond her fundraising mindset. or that she had two more seats to fill.

Last edited:
Just passed my six months at the "new" job. I guess it's not really new anymore lol. I'm coming up on four years at my "old" job. I've had a rough time about it lately, but I'm stubborn as hell and refuse to let these fuckers drive me to quit. I know many of my coworkers would love for me to leave so they can take my place, but I won't give them the satisfaction. =D

I haven't been around much lately and I do apologize. The old job has now started cutting overtime, so I should be around more.

How are y'all?!?!

Congrats Tude, now the green horn turned into a bright yellow/orange horn.
Sucks, you are not the only one thats having a hard time at work. Hell, havnt been able to 'go out to the field' for work because the guy i have been working with took off on me, and been stuck without having anyone to work with. So i've been doing bullshit ass work here at the motel i'm at and prob wont even see a single dime. :(

Its been getting warmer out here in kansaa, and working outside in the direct sunlight fucking sucks, and it really sucks when theres no ice in the water cooler.

I miss home, where ever that is.