• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

I dunno? perhaps I will become batman once I discover the drug called Charlie Sheen.

Hello how's everyone doing?

So we hired a shipper last week to fill in the position. I really liked her as she had a great personality, but unfortunately she quit after three days. She called our HR manager to inform her that the job was too stressful for her and that it brought up anxiety and there's a lot of responsibilities that she does not want to go into. She mentioned to me before that she had to quit her former job in an antique store where she would bring home work and developed bad anxiety and panic attacks so she left her job and did not work for a year. So the hunt it still on, I guess that we need someone who is tougher to be in that position, so Maya is filling in for that position for now.

Wow, three days?! Your company should give you a raise for lasting as long as you have.

I'm doing great! Working, chilling, working. Life's good!

How are y'all doing?

^oh hell yeah! ! The only thing is raises and bonuses only happen at the end of the year which is December boo hoo!

My job hunts begins Monday. Time to put my degree to work, with the hope it can get me back into the industry of my choice.

best in your job hunt. what's your industry of choice.

i'm sure i have no idea, but the idea of panic attacks from working at an antique store sounds like The Far Side.

the craziest women i work with is texting me right now because i just sent her an email turning down a freelance writing job she wants me to do for her. and then of course just closed my email because it's the weekend. but these stupid iphones show a preview of the text, and this woman works in sales. in my email i said i didn't feel comfortable charging her for the job but it isn't work i do for free, and she's saying she could have the publisher pay me. "a great way to get your foot in the doo..." bitch knows i want in the publishing industry. but it's not worth it. i won't really get a job from this publishing company for writing a an article -- i've already written articles for this editor for my real job -- and i don't wanna work for them anyway. and i don't want a copy writing (full-time) job. and i'm already getting text at 8 am on a saturday. nope. writing this post actually helped me think it out.

don't forget about it come december, Maya!

I have a meeting with my principle (in an elementary school) next week to discuss whether or not, or how much I want to work there next year. I am really confused about the whole thing. I tried to quit last year and got talked into taking a leave instead but I really don't want to be tied down to the school year schedule. I want to piece things together but have no idea if this is actually realistic.

Couldn't you step down to more of a tutoring type of position? I know you teach art, but maybe you could help kids with art or even reading. You'd get to choose what days to work, I think.

Can I just ask, does anyone include travel as part of their CV/resume? I'm deciding whether to include all the places I've travelled to, to demonstrate some life experience ;)

travel is not suited for a resume unless it is travel for volunteering or work. it will detract from what is important at best, be seen as laughable at worst.

not a terrible thing to work into responses during an interview though. or, at most, in your cover letter if appropriate.

Thanks for your input. I will give it a miss and perhaps mention it in the interview :)

I just had my review today. I work like crazy at work, I put in at least 50 hrs/week during the season, and I got a "meets expectations". Ugh. I'm so annoyed. I think I should have gotten better than that. I know it just sounds like I'm a perfectionist (I am) because meets expectations is "fine" but it's frustrating to only get that when I'm working crazy hard.

Education and careers...very deep subject which can be approached at a variety of angles. From the primal perspective, one could argue that a formal, institutionalized education nor a career is unnecessary to sustain your existence (or that of others), as one could provide for himself; for instance, a farmer/hunter. From what I perceive, it seems as though careers and formal education ideologically mold people into becoming subservient in the aspect of becoming eligible to working for or under others, as opposed to being independent and self-sustaining. I do not like to be controlled, nor do I take interest in or gratification from controlling others.

I think that if you are not already passionate and self-educated about which career field you would like to pursue, then you wont capitalize on neither enjoy the said career nor the educational journey associated with it. This applies to any career, whether it be an astronaut, plumber, clown, ice sculptor, samurai, potter, fisherman, etc. Unless you are naturally indifferent to misery and hardship (which I think is virtually, humanly improbable), I would say that one of the main objectives of life is to mitigate, if not eliminate stress.

^double negatives are tricky. fortunately for you, proper use of "nor" is required for neither hunting nor farming.

sorry to hear your review did not go as expected, llama.

I can't help but wonder who provides for you.
thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg

I just had my review today. I work like crazy at work, I put in at least 50 hrs/week during the season, and I got a "meets expectations". Ugh. I'm so annoyed. I think I should have gotten better than that. I know it just sounds like I'm a perfectionist (I am) because meets expectations is "fine" but it's frustrating to only get that when I'm working crazy hard.

Both places I've worked have made it clear that supervisors will get in trouble if they go above "meets expectations" without a clear and compelling reasons. And both places had one supervisor who ignored that and gave all her people 5 out of 5 when everyone else was getting 3 out of 5. Oh well. Hang in there. You know you're doing a good job and that's what counts. (Or say "fuck it" and just start meeting expectations. LOL)

Can I just ask, does anyone include travel as part of their CV/resume? I'm deciding whether to include all the places I've travelled to, to demonstrate some life experience ;)

Only if you did work or education on said travel. Vacation certainly is a no go. Also, you may want to brush up on the latest theory/vocab related specifically to the area in which you desire employment.