• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why is meth use looked down upon?

Probably due to what it causes the user to do (sometimes) and how rapidly it deteriorates the mental and physical vitality when abused (which it sounds like is pretty often).

I do meth to write music , if it wasn't for my music, never would have started without music, but just as much as a tunes enhancer it also servers as a dream killer

Do you mind me asking, after you stopped using is when the pain started? Emotional, physical, mental, withdrawls?

Ive just recently tried meth. Snorting it makes me smoke too much and it does not affect me like it does others I have eaten it and enjoyed the high it was more of a body high and smooth. It does certainly decrease the appetite which made me feel good to loose a few pounds. But I've used it for a week but have been going to bed at 10 and up at 7. I read all the horror stories of the immediate addiction and it scares me. I've battled with coke off and on for years in phases. Staying off completely for about a year then a little creeps in at a time.
thank you for sharing.

I could care less what anyone thinks; I slam the shit and make it legit. Fuck 'em if they judge you because of what you use, rather than the whole person. I live life with no shame or regrets. %)

If cocaine was cheaper then it would be looked at more like meth. The thing is, when you combine cheap, free access to powerful neurotoxic stimulants with an addictive personality, the result is usually total decompensation. Stimulants can ruin someone's physical health sooner than any other drug class.

I've never met a "functioning meth addict" in my life. I have no doubt that they exist, but every time I meet someone who fucks with it, their lives are always wrapped up around that drug, way moreso than other addicts I've been around (cokeheads, opiate addicts, etc). I've done it a fair number of times and it definitely is highly addictive.

If cocaine was cheaper then it would be looked at more like meth. The thing is, when you combine cheap, free access to powerful neurotoxic stimulants with an addictive personality, the result is usually total decompensation. Stimulants can ruin someone's physical health sooner than any other drug class.

I was under the impression that cocaine isn't neurotoxic. On the other hand, I was likewise under the impression that there's also a significant difference between the rate at which cocaine will ruin someone's physical health (aka, way fucking faster, due to the much greater cardiotoxicity) than meth will, assuming equivalent amount of time spent under the influence of the drug.

Not to mention the huge difference in duration. It's much harder to casually use a drug that requires an 8 - 12 hour commitment.

Then there's the socioeconomic and historical aspect. I'm not going to sit here and break it down, because it should be fairly obvious to anyone who does some reading on the history of the meth and coke trades, but the reason they're looked on differently has a lot to do with how they entered into society and the view of the mainstream.

This has probably already been mentioned, but meth is quite expensive here in Australia, by American standards, and cocaine is even more so, to the point where meth is more of a middle class drug, simply because the rural poor ''white trash'' stereotype couldn't afford it, generally speaking. It has essentially replaced cocaine as the party stimulant of choice, although like cocaine in America, it also has a large scene of addicts, the difference being that smoking meth here is much more normalized and is not uncommon even among more recreational/party type settings, there's no huge gap in perception between eating it, snorting it* and smoking it, there is, however, a large stigma surrounding IV use. My understanding is that it used to be mostly local product, cooked by bikies, with a smaller portion of import, whereas there was a shift large shift in the early 00's when the ''ice epidemic'' took off and meth replaced heroin as the hard drug of choice (heroin having gone into drought around the turn of the century - my guess would be that this was all intentional, yaba taking off in SEAsia and someone catching onto the fact that meth doesn't rely on crop cycles), and then another shift in that ratio, around 2009 or 2010 iirc, which resulted in a temporary flood of high grade product being sold for double the price (if I had to take a guess, this would be when the SEAsia market hit capacity, so they started sending the overflow down here). Of course the high price stayed, the high quality didn't, although generally speaking my understanding is that there's still plenty of good stuff out there, just a ''who you know'' situation.

Cocaine, on the other hand, is so expensive that it's less of a recreational drug and more of a luxury item. The price is so absurd that there's just no justification unless you're quite wealthy, having it as an occasional treat or, generally speaking, trying to show off. Frequent trips to the bathroom and white residue under the nostril is a status symbol in what passes for high society (heh) in Sydney.

Anyway, I'm rambling. TLDR: Meth is our coke. Coke is our coke for wankers with more money than sense.

*Snorting, for some strange reason, is very uncommon. Those who don't IV tend to either eat it for a longer lasting, more physical high (passing around a bag of cheap cut 'speed' at a festival for everyone to dip their finger in, or pouring some into a drink), especially if it's lower quality product, or smoke it in a glass pipe with a bulb on the end, which gives a shorter high, somewhat less physical but with a strong euphoric rush. One of my first dealers was shocked when we got high together and I turned down his pipe so I could crush some of my purchase up and proceeded to snort it.

addictive personality

I know this is going off topic here, but I think the term ''addictive personality'' is not only so nebulous as to be meaningless (effectively begging the question, ''why is X an addict? Because X has an addictive personality''), but a complete cop out that allows one to ignore the socioeconomic, environmental, medical and psychological factors which contribute to addiction.

I've never met a "functioning meth addict" in my life. I have no doubt that they exist, but every time I meet someone who fucks with it, their lives are always wrapped up around that drug, way moreso than other addicts I've been around (cokeheads, opiate addicts, etc). I've done it a fair number of times and it definitely is highly addictive.

The problem with functional addiction is that tends to be a phase between non-addiction and dysfunctional addiction. Most addicts go through it and most of them think they'll stay in it and most of them don't. I think claim can be laid to true functional addiction only when that addiction ends, otherwise, statistically speaking, it's just a buildup to something bigger.

Last edited:
meth heads are never rational minded, this is why it's looked down upon. it keeps u up for days how can u possible stay mentally normal, u cant but they will tell u otherwise.

too much of a good thing is a bad thing.... and meth is always MORE MORE MORE = BADBAD BAD because its GOOD GOOD GOOD

I do agree that meth is frowned upon and that kind of sucks, I think some good west coast brain freeze can be the best speed in the entire universe.

Ive used meth in place of adderall a number of times and it did the same job. I only smoked it once, I think that is where people get taken down tbh. Its a lot different of a drug when taken orally or snorted, its a lot easier to keep in check. of course you will want to redose, but not like within an hour after you do with smoking.

when the act of obtaining and ingesting the drug becomes more of a detriment than the potential for increased productivity is you are doing it wrong imo. I wasnt taking meth for pleasure, I was taking it to get shit done. It just happened to feel kind of good.

when you approach stims with that attitude I feel like you are less likely to get wrapped up in them

It's interesting to me that people eat meth, I've never heard of that ROA outside of this website (everyone I know who does meth seems to stick to smoking/snorting/shooting)

Ive used meth in place of adderall a number of times and it did the same job. I only smoked it once, I think that is where people get taken down tbh. Its a lot different of a drug when taken orally or snorted, its a lot easier to keep in check. of course you will want to redose, but not like within an hour after you do with smoking.

when the act of obtaining and ingesting the drug becomes more of a detriment than the potential for increased productivity is you are doing it wrong imo. I wasnt taking meth for pleasure, I was taking it to get shit done. It just happened to feel kind of good.

when you approach stims with that attitude I feel like you are less likely to get wrapped up in them

Be careful because thats how it starts. The first time because you're really tired but need to be awake and alert. Then you realise how motivated and focused you are on it so you're productive and enjoying it. Having your cake and eating it too. You start looking forward to times that call for the productivity you get from meth. You start to subconsciously create these situations so you have a 'valid' reason for doing meth. The standard at which the 'productivity' from meth is called for drops over time until almost anything is a valid reason because you enjoy it. Why not. Then you've been doing meth so often that because you know once you stop taking it, you'll crash. This equates to no productivity so that by the same line of reasoning you end up taking meth to stay productive.

I'm not saying you'll end up getting wrapped up in them but thinking that you're less likely to do so makes you more vulnerable to it because your guard isn't up.

I know what you mean as I got like that with Adderall before but luckily I dont have a steady supply of meth

taking meth orally was the first method I tried actually. ate way too much and didnt sleep for like 48 hours and I was already running on a small amount of sleep.

its a much more subdued high especially if you are used to smoking/IV but I found it to be enjoyable

I find eating it to give a much more physical high, more tweaky with less euphoria and headrush, longer lasting, not as fiendy. Smoking is nearly the opposite, a strong euphoric tingly headrush, will keep you awake and give you drive if you want it to, but it can be almost relaxing too if you have clean product.

Cocaine is neurotoxic. It's just more cardiotoxic. Genes have been identified in people who are more susceptible to drug addiction. I think it protects the user. It gives their disease physical legitimacy instead of saying they're weak. And it is a disease.

Genes have been identified in people who are more susceptible to drug addiction

Correlation, causation, etc. Those same genes could easily be related to a host of other social, economic, political, psychological etc. circumstances which are also correlated with addiction.

I think it protects the user. It gives their disease physical legitimacy instead of saying they're weak. And it is a disease.

I think it simplifies things too much and smacks of predestination. I agree that addiction is a disease, but it's a far more complicated than either physical or psychological diseases. Firstly in that it results from exposure to the chemical, no matter how predisposed someone is to addiction, and no matter whether the predisposition is genetic and innate in and of itself, or as a result of some combination of the circumstances mentioned previously, it only occurs with repeated administration of the drug in question. Regardless of genes or circumstance, if someone never ingests (or is dosed with) an addictive drug, that someone can never become addicted to it. In that sense, I think it belongs in category of it's own, away from psychological disease or physical disease.

Secondly, it is my general observation and firm belief that the vast majority of addiction is a form of self medication. What is being medicated varies from addict to addict, but imo almost every occurrence of the disease of addiction is, or at least starts out as, a symptom of a different, pre-existing disease. There's a reason every addict starts and continues to use a particular drug, and even if you could reset the brain back to before the individual used the drug for the first time, effectively erasing the disease of addiction (the neurological and psychological alterations caused by repeated exposure to the drug), if you don't treat the preexisting disease which the individual is self medicating, then they will inevitably end up addicted again upon re-exposure.

That's why I don't like the phrase 'addictive personality,' I can understand why someone might use it as a shorthand for all of that, but it effectively just says ''they're an addict because they're an addict,'' and completely ignores the whole issue of self medication and other, deeper, underlying diseases.

Cocaine is neurotoxic.

Got any interesting sources on this? Not arguing with you, just curious - for all the reasons I mentioned in my other post I've never bothered with cocaine, and as such my knowledge is just what I've picked up reading about other drugs, and for whatever reason I always thought cocaine wasn't neurotoxic (at least not in the sense that something like meth or MDMA is neurotoxic, obviously any regular drug use is going to change the brain).

Where i am from is meth not available. Actually almost nobody knew it existed till breaking bad started becoming popular. In conjunction with these faces of meth campaign pictures it evolved into some thing strange. Nobody ever used it, had seen the stuff or knew somebody who had. But still everbody is 100% sure that the stuff is pure evil.
Even the guys i know from my teens whom are extreme speed junkies (reg. street amphetamine) have this opinion. They use daily, stay regular awake for 3+ days and have horrible damages after there 10+ years of using. Still they act as if they where extreme reasonable, because they would never ever touch that stuff.

Did my first shot of meth when I was a wee lad of 13, living as a runaway on the streets of San Francisco, and immediately turned to selling my mouth and ass to finance a lifestyle that included more meth.
Over the next 30 years, I've had various successes and failures, but the one common thread has been meth. When I've managed to stay clean, things have happened for the good: school, family reunification, positive personal relationships, career advancement. When I've used, everything bad that could come my way, did: no money, no job, no presonal relationships, spiritually/morally bankrupt, and worst of all, prison. Because of several drug offenses and property crimes committed while loaded on meth, I've been to prison nine fuckin' times, man. Seven of those times were for straight-up new terms (multi-year) and the other two times were parole violations.
Meth is evil, man. Period. It has a shitty reputation, yet it's well-earned. Personal responsibility is huge. I believe that if you do a drug, it's on you to maintain and try to enjoy without fucking up and blaming your fuck-ups on that drug. I guess it's possible that some folks can do meth and not have their lives devolve into some apocalyptic nightmare, but it seems highly unlikely. I mean, think about it: when was the last time you've met a highly successful tweaker?