• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why do I prefer smoking mexican schwag over buds?

i used to save the seeds from mexican brick weed over the winter and grow a few plants from it. it wasn't too bad if grown properly and taken care of after. i used to buy quarter pounds from an old friend a few years ago he found a fake rolex watch in one of the pounds he used to buy. that was the batch where i stopped buying brick weed, i found a dried up finger tip looked like a pinky finger but it was pretty shriveled up, and still had the nail on it.

When I lived in central america around ~9 years ago I used to smoke a lot of brick weed (mostly in the beginning). Every few months me and my boys (and some girls) organized a "weed holiday". We stayed in a house right besides the beach just enjoying life and smoking joints non-stop. It wasn't unusual for us to carry something like 1/2 a pound for personal consumption, actually there's a photo of a buddy of mine and myself smoking a 25cm long joint (that's how I learned to roll, lol).
Actually, there are different grades of brick weed, the low grade one is kinda disgusting but the middle/high end grade is not that bad (low in thc but high in cbd and cbn).
Anyway, smoking so much brick weed is a very peculiar experience. I remember feeling extremely sedated and relaxed, almost opioid-like. After a couple of days of constant smoking I felt like I was incapable of doing anything other than rolling another joint, laughing, eating and sleeping. I remember coming out of a cannabinoid coma and looking for one of my friends to roll another one (I was out of papers), only to find him passed out on the kitchen floor.

When I lived in central america around ~9 years ago I used to smoke a lot of brick weed (mostly in the beginning). Every few months me and my boys (and some girls) organized a "weed holiday". We stayed in a house right besides the beach just enjoying life and smoking joints non-stop. It wasn't unusual for us to carry something like 1/2 a pound for personal consumption, actually there's a photo of a buddy of mine and myself smoking a 25cm long joint (that's how I learned to roll, lol).
Actually, there are different grades of brick weed, the low grade one is kinda disgusting but the middle/high end grade is not that bad (low in thc but high in cbd and cbn).
Anyway, smoking so much brick weed is a very peculiar experience. I remember feeling extremely sedated and relaxed, almost opioid-like. After a couple of days of constant smoking I felt like I was incapable of doing anything other than rolling another joint, laughing, eating and sleeping. I remember coming out of a cannabinoid coma and looking for one of my friends to roll another one (I was out of papers), only to find him passed out on the kitchen floor.
yeah I used to smoke a lot of that costa rican schwag, then i actually found a source for some proper indoor funk :eek: never outside of costa rica tho, only schwag. in south america it was suprisingly decently grown in peru, i think because it was all homegrown and not produced in bulk.

the worst weed i have ever seen was in nepal - there is great hash there, but the street weed, omg, its black gutter shit

oh yeah whats that stuff, "pogona"

but yeah pagona was nice sleepy weed back then, i wouldn't even smoke it now, it would be like smoking trim.

oh yeah whats that stuff, "pogona"

Probably "pegona / la pegona" which means something like heavy hitter (comes from the verb "pegar" which means to hit).
People usually called it "jamaiquina" (despite the fact that it doesn't actually come from Jamaica), or "high red".
The highest grade of brick weed is sometimes known as "punto creepy" which translates into "almost creepy" (creepy is proper high grade cannabis flowers). The worst of the worst was known as "caca de mono" (monkey shit).

Probably "pegona / la pegona" which means something like heavy hitter (comes from the verb "pegar" which means to hit).
People usually called it "jamaiquina" (despite the fact that it doesn't actually come from Jamaica), or "high red".
The highest grade of brick weed is sometimes known as "punto creepy" which translates into "almost creepy" (creepy is proper high grade cannabis flowers). The worst of the worst was known as "caca de mono" (monkey shit).
cuidado con la cocos... esta explotan!!

i thought the creepy was a reference to the crip gang :eek:

i miss the days when you picked your weed guy by what he had on hand all the time, not by the variety of buds. at least then i knew what i was getting. now it seems more of a crap shoot on the quality and i can never find the same strain twice. even the rec shops it's hard to get the same strain twice.

Funny....i still only do a run of 3 strains at a time and one of the strains i run (ogre kush) ive been running for over 10 years straight...usually the other 2 strains im running tend to be rotated a little more....and im always popping some seeds for the fun of finding something new

cuidado con la cocos... esta explotan!!

i thought the creepy was a reference to the crip gang :eek:

I'm not sure where the term creepy came from, but everyone called it that way. I think it's because the high will creep on you if you're used to smoking caca de mono lol.
I don't know if you ever went to Puerto Viejo (on the caribbean coast), that's like the perfect place to be when you're stoned. Plus the town has amazing caribbean style restaurants managed by friendly rastas (people with dreadlocks). The pacific coast is very cool as well, specially around guanacaste, but it has a different vibe (more luxurious and "touristy").

haha yeah, spent a couple months there. actually accidently crossed into panama hiking from mazinilla along the coast (if you cross the esturary/river at the end of the road and just keep heading straight), wandered into this little off grid eco village 2 hrs into the jungle called "punta mona" - cool experience.

i prefere'd the other side though, stayed in samara for 6 months

doesn't beat corcavado though

I grew up smoking Mexican brick, I didn't even know there was weed that wasn't compressed with seeds and stems. It got me high as fuck, but we'd smoke like 5 bowls or multiple joints. I loved it, but once I found proper buds I couldn't go back. It's hard for me to imagine someone preferring the brick.

I don't smoke daily anymore, so when I do smoke, I take one hit, because all the weed is really good now. One hit gets me good. You just have to adjust, you can't expect to smoke bongs or joints or blunts of good shit if you're not used to doing it, you're gonna get too high and paranoid and shit. Smoke a hit or two and it's all good, the quality of the high is much better than that nasty brick and it tastes delicious instead of tasting like a monkey's asshole.

fuck schwag yo ive smoked so much weed in the last year an a half since I started only tried mids like a few times and not by choice and hated everything about them lol they taste nasty an are super weak, loud only meng. If you are having an uncomfortable high then try changing up the strains and the amounts you smoke maybe?
Kids these days make me cringe a bit with shit like this. Just because it doesn't have +20% THC doesn't make it bad. You had badly grown commercial shite, but a lot of what people call mids is just slightly leafy loose outdoor or less potent/terpy genetics that don't stink out half the street. You said it yourself, "year and a half since I started" still new in the weed game. More experience and you'll probably appreciate more about weed than how loud it is :D

moving up through the stages of quality from the 80s, and there's like zero chance i would smoke 99% of what's out there now, and if i were to compare the mids out there now compared to the sticks and seeds i got then, i might say that the old stuff was better....but it's really hard to say now....i think the herb that i grow smokes the best now

i think potency-wise cookie crosses mostly suck....but most of the genetics now are better

i like all the old school kushes and og's from the last 20 years

I grew up smoking Mexican brick, I didn't even know there was weed that wasn't compressed with seeds and stems. It got me high as fuck, but we'd smoke like 5 bowls or multiple joints. I loved it, but once I found proper buds I couldn't go back. It's hard for me to imagine someone preferring the brick.

I don't smoke daily anymore, so when I do smoke, I take one hit, because all the weed is really good now. One hit gets me good. You just have to adjust, you can't expect to smoke bongs or joints or blunts of good shit if you're not used to doing it, you're gonna get too high and paranoid and shit. Smoke a hit or two and it's all good, the quality of the high is much better than that nasty brick and it tastes delicious instead of tasting like a monkey's asshole.
this all the way

if its better smoke way less, better for your lungs

"back in the day we smoked so much"

its a delivery method, the hving to constantly smoke part is the bad bit

just learn to titrate and get a nice strain. if your bricks were sativa go get a sativa.

the difference with brick is it was sitting about for ages before you get to it, makes it less edgy thc breaks down, also lower ratio of thc to CBD

this all the way

if its better smoke way less, better for your lungs

"back in the day we smoked so much"

its a delivery method, the hving to constantly smoke part is the bad bit

just learn to titrate and get a nice strain. if your bricks were sativa go get a sativa.

the difference with brick is it was sitting about for ages before you get to it, makes it less edgy thc breaks down, also lower ratio of thc to CBD

I mostly agree with what you said but smoking can be more than just a delivery method, it's also a ritual. Some people like being able to roll a nice joint and smoke it slowly while they do something else (listening to music, reading, writing, watching a movie, engaging in conversation, etc.), it's a different experience than taking a hit and getting high as fuck.
That being said, I don't plan on smoking brick weed again as I much prefer the high quality stuff, but I get where some old school people are coming from.

I also don't think one can say that brick weed is either an indica, a sativa or a particular hybrid. You could use those terms to describe the plant where it came from, but they no longer mean anything when it comes to the final product (the brick weed itself), even the name of the strain wouldn't mean much.
As you said, the whole production process changes the chemical composition of the weed, a bunch of terpenes and cannabinoids get broken down, not just THC.

The thing is that growers have been focused on breeding plants with higher and higher levels of THC and the other compounds have been kind of neglected, at least until recently.
Nowadays it's kind of tendy to talk about "terps" and other cannabinoids so who knows what the future of weed will look like, it looks promising though.

I mostly agree with what you said but smoking can be more than just a delivery method, it's also a ritual. Some people like being able to roll a nice joint and smoke it slowly while they do something else (listening to music, reading, writing, watching a movie, engaging in conversation, etc.), it's a different experience than taking a hit and getting high as fuck.
yeah I can agree with that. even being able to pack my vaporizer to the brim without getting too high would be nice. there should be high quality low thc bud on the market. smoking tiny one hitter pipes is just not as enjoyable as hitting a nice joint or big vape to get that taste. and I am not going back to the kind of tolerance I had ten years ago to be able to do that.

weed nowadays was really bred by 24/7 stoners for their own needs. but I guess coming out of the black market this will eventually change to get new market opportunities.

Last edited:
I moved bricks of this latin lingo way back in the day and it sucks comparatively to what is commonly available today (sensi back then I suppose). There is one strain that I would absolutely love to get my hands on. Not sure what its officially called but we called it mexican trip weed. It was brown, seedy and loosely formed flowers. Looks like total babbage.

you probably get the relaxing effect from breathing in and out inhaling plus weed back then was actually grown the way weed was intended. weed always had more cbd then it does now, now thats its bred exclusively for high thc. i used to be big on thc but youre right theres nothing good about constantly taking too much thc it felt like i was on a hyptonic drug where i just couldnt think straight or stop smoking for years and got nothing done.

also i think people just always end up seeking the smoke experience they had as a kid. i started smoking around '12 and weed was pretty decent back then but i just like the regular green regular looking buds i dont want that purple/green/orange/white shit that doesnt even look like weed anymore. tbh i would prefer a little bit more cbd and less thc

I'm not sure where the term creepy came from, but everyone called it that way. I think it's because the high will creep on you if you're used to smoking caca de mono lol.
Yeah "creeper weed" was a term used by nerdy noobie (stoners) man!
pretty much meaning that the high crept up so slowly you got "stoned all at once'

Yeehawww!