Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

Total Recall (1990)

F’n classic. Everything about it just works, from Verhoeven's black humor to the special effects which still (for the most part) hold up today to the action sequences/set-pieces, all delivered with maximum cheese 😍 I love that part where Sharon Stone tells Arnie “you wouldn’t hurt me right honey? We’re married!” Then he shoots her in the head and says “consider dat a div-voss!” 🤣

I love movies like that, with big creative/ambitious sets, large casts & inspired practical sfx (rather than pure cgi). I’ve always like Verhoevens work, he’s a good director imo

I re-watched "Remember the Titans" - still holds up and is a perfect feel good film - and I don't even like American football (or even understand it tbh). There have been plenty of copycat films like "Coach Carter" etc, but this film was the OG and did it really well. It's corny, over-simplified and idealistic, but it just warms the heart. I don't even watch sports outside of MMA/Soccer occasionally. If you're feeling a bit down I highly recommend it.

Total Recall (1990)

F’n classic. Everything about it just works, from Verhoeven's black humor to the special effects which still (for the most part) hold up today to the action sequences/set-pieces, all delivered with maximum cheese 😍 I love that part where Sharon Stone tells Arnie “you wouldn’t hurt me right honey? We’re married!” Then he shoots her in the head and says “consider dat a div-voss!” 🤣

I love movies like that, with big creative/ambitious sets, large casts & inspired practical sfx (rather than pure cgi). I’ve always like Verhoevens work, he’s a good director imo
I especially enjoyed the soundtrack. Robo Cop and Starship Troopers are great too but Total Recall is his masterpiece.

Fear X (2003)

Been on a NWR kick lately. This was his first English language film, starring John Turturro, with a soundtrack by Brian Eno and cinematography by none other than Kubrick’s late cinematographer Larry Smith.

The best way to describe the film is to call it “arthouse suspense,” for lack of a better term. It has feelings and sound and style evocative of David Lynch and the films Fargo and The Shining, leaning more towards Lynch’s style. Perhaps the setting reminded me of Fargo most.

Turturro’s character is one of a man whose wife has been murdered and who cannot understand why. This lack of understanding is the driving force for the film and the Eno soundtrack is spot on.

Not well received in it’s time not greatly appreciated now, yet very enjoyable with an open mind and an understanding that no one will ever have all the answers. Personally I was riveted for the whole hour and a half but it certainly isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

7.5/10

Last edited:
I re-watched John Wick Chapter 4 last night. Was still hungover as hell from the night before and felt like watching something where I didn't have to think so much. It was pretty over the top as is par for the course with the JW series. Some interesting cinematography - particularly striking was one scene where it was a top down view of him facing all these attackers from every angle (like the ceiling had been cut away) and it looked kind of like a video game. I thought that was really cool and the use of Dragon's Breath ammo was badass. I was stoned enough watching it the first time that I didn't really remember the plot, so it was kind of like seeing it for the first time. I kind of wished that Lance Reddick and Laurence Fishburne got more screen time, but it was still a good action romp. 7.7/10.

(The video game that cool scene reminded me of; just from a cinematography perspective)

Killers of the Flower Moon

I really like many of Scorsese’s films, he’s a legendary director for a reason imo but…I just wasn’t feeling this one. One gets the sense that there IS an interesting story to be told in the source material he’s working with, Oklahoma during the 1920s was an ugly place permeated by race violence/terror and the film captures that, some of the film and its gnawing, cold-blooded violence and sense of impending doom is compelling, but ultimately the movie feels like a chore to get through and the characters just aren’t terribly interesting. DiCaprio, he’s a capable actor who’s been in some great films but his role is ultimately one of some sad-sack who does nothing but make the wrong decisions. DeNiro is just some greedy old fuck who isn’t above murder to line his own pockets. The actress who plays the role of DiCaprios wife in the film is quite good but she can’t carry the film on her own. And there were some more minor irritations, like a character using the word “genocide” in spite of the fact that that word didn’t even exist in the 1920s. I dunno I just wasn’t feeling this one

^I can't wait till part two comes out next month. I'll make a special trip to see it in theaters for sure.

Bait, lame:

That does look lame. I like how it seems to be fishing-themed but that trailer really gave me no idea regarding what the film is actually ABOUT

Speaking of lame, fishing-themed films, I recently saw the film “finestkind”. I’m always interested to see cinematic interpretations of the industry, but this one just felt totally directionless. You have to get almost an hour into the film before any kind of dramatic tension builds. Otherwise the plot just ambles along without an kind of clear trajectory/arc, minimal character development…some of the details re: the industry the film got correct, like some of the gear the characters wear (in comparison with other works that didn’t, for example season 3 of “the sinner”), the actors (Tommy Lee jones, Ben foster etc) are decent but otherwise the film isn’t really worth anyone’s time imo