What great band have you just discovered?

^ I don't think it's fair to call Low a Christian/Mormon band. While they may utilize religious symbolism in some of their songs, it's never overt or gaudy - their lyrics are sparse and poetic and leave lots of room for interpretation outside of a religious context. Christian bands, as I understand them, center their music around Christian idolatry - in other words, "Music By Christians, For Christians." Low has the sense and good taste to realize most people don't want to hear that shit.

yes, you are absolutely right. it may sound stupid, but i am kind of biased this way. i wouldn't listen to known racist bands even if their music wasn't about racism at all. i get that it's quite polemic to compare the two, and probably not really fair, but christians always rubbed me the wrong way. and you are right, low are by no means a 'christian band'
on a similar note, a band i have considerable difficulty with is wovenhand. as the band name already suggest the one sole member of the band is deeply christian, and while indubitably a great songwriter his jesus bullshit always features prominently in the lyrics. this song is the perfect example:

i love the music. i love the vocals. but the lyrics feature the line, repeatedly 'i love the lord jesus above everything'.

yes, you are absolutely right. it may sound stupid, but i am kind of biased this way. i wouldn't listen to known racist bands even if their music wasn't about racism at all.

It's a pretty common bias. I mean, it makes sense really - people are naturally turned off by things they disagree with/don't like. It's funny you mention Wovenhand because David Eugene Edward's earlier bands, Sixteen Horsepower and The Denver Gentlemen (and Slim Cessna's Auto Club), were the ones that taught me to ignore all the Jesus stuff and just enjoy the music. It's just something you have to will yourself to correct, and it's actually not too difficult if the music is compelling enough.

Slim Cessna's Autoclub - "Hold On"

It's a pretty common bias. I mean, it makes sense really - people are naturally turned off by things they disagree with/don't like. It's funny you mention Wovenhand because David Eugene Edward's earlier bands, Sixteen Horsepower and The Denver Gentlemen (and Slim Cessna's Auto Club), were the ones that taught me to ignore all the Jesus stuff and just enjoy the music. It's just something you have to will yourself to correct, and it's actually not too difficult if the music is compelling enough.

wovenhand is the only band where the lyrics are overtly christian that i listen to. he's just that good a musician. which is a high compliment indeed.

I haven't really "just discovered" them since I've known about them for years, and they already have a pretty fantastic reputation, but I finally started to really listen to Pere Ubu and I fucking love it. This is exactly the kind of shit I've been looking for - they're spastic, arty, groovy and brilliant. Probably going to have to re-arrange my Top Ten lists now.

Anybody looking for a good new singer/songwriter type that doesn't sound like the generic thousands out there right now:

Mads Langer

I fucking love this album.

It's amazing isn't it? The way they manage to channel that raw, manic energy into music that is both intelligent and catchy is really admirable. Their later work doesn't click with me as much as those first two albums, but I'm going to keep digging because Pere Ubu seems like one of those bands that can surprise you at any given time.

Anybody looking for a good new singer/songwriter type that doesn't sound like the generic thousands out there right now:

Mads Langer

Um, no offense, but could you point me to some of his songs that don't sound "generic"? I've heard a few, and the guy sounds like he belongs on a Top 40 chart.

It's amazing isn't it? The way they manage to channel that raw, manic energy into music that is both intelligent and catchy is really admirable. Their later work doesn't click with me as much as those first two albums, but I'm going to keep digging because Pere Ubu seems like one of those bands that can surprise you at any given time.

Um, no offense, but could you point me to some of his songs that don't sound "generic"? I've heard a few, and the guy sounds like he belongs on a Top 40 chart.

Sorry you feel that way.

Actually, I don't really care. Ha. I had been enjoying his shit latley and to me..it sounds nothing like what's on top 40. To each his own. Plug your ears with whatever you want. :)

Here's another song of his I like.

Also, really been loving Ben Howard recently. Very talented and creative guitar player out of the UK.

I don't care if it is top 40/mainstream etc etc, or if you make fun of me. I like this.

"Caligari's Mirror" is one of my favorite post punk songs of the late 70s-early 80s era. Great for dancing. Great for drinking. Devastatingly great for both. Glad you are enjoying them so much. Devo gets all the Ohio eccentric love, but these dudes deserve some too.

Last edited: