What great band have you just discovered?

A friend of mine got me into Stereolab a few weeks ago, can't believe I hadn't checked them out before, I knew the name, I knew that a lot of artists I love are fans...definitely wanna find more artists in a similar vein now!

A friend of mine got me into Stereolab a few weeks ago, can't believe I hadn't checked them out before, I knew the name, I knew that a lot of artists I love are fans...definitely wanna find more artists in a similar vein now!

Stereolab are great.
As for similar bands...that could be taken many different ways.
If you like Stereolab, you'll probably love a lot of the 70s "krautrock" bands. This is from stereolab's wikipedia page;
Stereolab's music combines a droning rock sound with lounge instrumentals, overlaid with sing-song female vocals and pop melodies. Their records are heavily influenced by the "motorik" technique of 1970s krautrock groups such as Neu! and Faust. Tim Gane has supported the comparison: "Neu! did minimalism and drones, but in a very pop way." Stereolab's style also incorporates easy-listening music of the 1950s and '60s. Said Joshua Klein in The Washington Post, "Years before everyone else caught on, Stereolab was referencing the 1970s German bands Can and Neu!, the Mexican lounge music master Esquivel and the decidedly unhip Burt Bacharach."
Neu! and Faust are both amazing bands, worth checking out.

I just discovered these guys - Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds and i'm gonna see em next week (though i've long been a fan of Kid Congo Powers and the many great bands he's been in [the Gun Club, the Cramps, the Bad Seeds])
[video=youtube_share;MVz-zHIlS9Y]http://youtu.be/MVz-zHIlS9Y[/video]

Well I just realized that Planes Mistaken For Stars are back together after a long hiatus, and just released a new album. The album sounds amazing so far : ) I am so happy to have found something as depressing as I feel right now. They have an awesome song called Fucking Tenderness.

photo.jpg

The Bong Druid Of Mammoth Weed Mountain (I am having formatting issues with posts on this forum, firstly I cannot space my posts like I want to add space in between these words and the music video I'm sharing, and normally that image should be linked along with the name of the YouTube channel. Sigh, not sure why the complications are arising, this forum engine is outdated no offense.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd gladly donate to upgrade forum engines....Anyways ya, just discovered Gorilla Pulp,

Lemme switch IP's and see if I can tweak this formatting dilemma..

Last edited by a moderator:
i just edited your posts. there's nothing wrong with this "forum engine".

alasdair

i knew they had kinda a weird single in gone in 60 seconds soundtrack

then thru the song 'devil will ride' i realized the band gomez was so much more, and pretty cool