• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What College or University are you attending, what are you studying and why? - MERGED

Troy University history. Because I love history and it doesnt require much math.

Master of Information Systems Management, at university of Wollongong, Australia.

Because I work in IT and could get in based on work experience, as I've got no bachelors. with 6 additional subjects I can get an MBA as well, but working full-time and studying can get pretty stressful.

Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio (Known for their business school and A-10 basketball team)

I'm double majoring in International Business and Marketing... started off as pre-dentistry b.c my dad owns a property that he leases out to some dentists so the plan was that once I'd finish dental school he'd let me run it... I couldn't see myself working as a dentist the rest of my life though... ugh I'd be literally attatched to the NO2 tanks and just let the techs/hygenists do everything...

Anyway this is my last semester doing undergrand, I only have 1 class to finish both majors, I'm excited to enter the career world but a little scared too in a way...

I already graduated but I like to pretend I am still there! I went to the University of California, Santa Barbara and I double majored in psychology and communication studies. I wanted to go into research psychology but tried that and didn't like it... then I went into website building companies, photography companies, and other stuff. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Yeah I'm always debating what to do and where I want to do it... I guess time will tell... I'm glad I chose International Biz though, at least I can work abroad. I was born in Eastern Europe in the Soviet Bloc so I grew up speaking Polish and Russian so hopefully that'll help. I'm still debating whether to stay in Cincinnati or move to Chicago or elsewhere... on one hand Xavier is probably the best school in the Cinci area, but my languages don't mean much. Also, life is much cheaper here than a big city (drugs are more expensive but that's not really reason enough for me to stay or move somewhere)... My rents live in Chicago where I grew up where on the other hand I'd be competitng with people who have gone to much better colleges than me, however my languages would help immensely as there is a large Polish and Russian population (over 900k Polish people, at least 500k Russians)
How's the job market in LA? You're so lucky you get to live in a beautiful place like California... I want to visit, I've never been west of Colorado

I'd like to go to school up North, I guess the out of state tuition would cost alot!!

I'm at Lawson State Community College.. Straight up in the hood.
I'm taking..
Math098
English092
and
College Orientation.

You gotta start somewhere right? .. Since I dropped out of high school at 17, DID get my GED though.. Never took the ACT or SAT, so Had to take a "Placement Test" which is pretty much a test designed to put you in the right class. It's good and all, but having to start at the low Math and Eng class's it really piss's me off.
I guess it's a good thing because I reaaallly tried on that test, like spent time trying to answer the questions, but still scored low.. :/
I'm glad They didn't start me off in some hard shit lol.
My degree is going to be in Electrical Engineering, I have a fucking long way to go.. but for now.. If I can learn the basics then it shouldn't be so hard later down the road.

My goal is to transfer to University in Birmingham or Auburn University, they are the top Science schools in the state of Alabama.. I have a PACT which will pay up to a 4 year degree, so I'm really lucky that my grandparents got me that when I was a kid.
Books on the other hand cost me $256.71... That sucks... Cant use a Pell Grant/FASFA because both of my parents have their masters degree, and make over $85,000 a year... On the other hand, there's this program called "Vocational Rehabilitation" which will help you through school, IF you have a disability. I'm ADD as fuck, so they said they will help me out. It wont be until January (next semester ) before they will start helping. The stuff I can get is like Gas money to and from school each week, a percentage of my books paid for, and some other stuff, like once I graduate they will help line me up with a job. either working for the state, or somewhere else.

anyways.. I'm pretty excited.. :], just gotta stick with it ya kno?

The Ohio State University
I'm currently studying Pharmaceutical Sciences and will be seeking my Pharm.D after I finish my undergrad. I hope to pursue a career in research when all is said and done.

Currently at a local community college but hopefully transferring to UTK next fall :)

Studying chemistry by the way.

Just finishing an MSc in Geophysics at the University of Leeds, and it is without question, the biggest mistake I have ever made.

The financial outlay has severely damaged me, the course was shoddy and very poorly taught, the university is an absolute joke, and the only job I'm likely to get is the other side of the world. I have to leave Leeds (a city I love and am beginning to feel very settled in - starting to make a few friends here, and have met a guy I really like) on Saturday, to go back to my home town with no jobs or prospects. I've done well in it too (Merit grade is likely), just no-one seems interested in employing me (perhaps the course is crap).

Worse part is, I took a £10,000 commercial bank loan which needs to start being repaid next month, with interest of around 10%.

If I could have the last year back, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Its destroyed my fundamental view on education. Until I did this, I thought no education is a waste. Now unfortunately, it seems I was wrong. I don't know what I've done that's so bad to deserve this. Moral of the story? Asides from avoiding this course and university, be VERY CAREFUL when looking for courses. This one was beyond crap, and certainly not worth anywhere near the £8,000 tuition fee.

University of Cambridge (the UK Cambridge) doing Pure and Applied Mathematics.

Why? Because I'm crap at language and out of the sciences, I prefered Physics but hated practicals. Doing a Maths degree means I do all the Physics I like without wasting time twiddling with experiments. This year I'd done stuff like Quantum Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Fluid Dynamics and Special Relativity which is what I've always wanted to do.
Work is hard and I've end of year exams in June but I like it :) Shame about the shit nightlife :\

Hey man I'm doing actuarial maths + stats at Kingston in London. Not as good as Cambridge but still studying a shit load of maths! The nightlife here is great and it's next to London which is great. I hope you're studies are going well and I wish you all the best!

Andy

Kingston University London studying Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics Bsc.

I must be the first person studying this on the forum :)

Great nightlife, a short train journey into London for some great nightlife and clubs like ministry of sound and fabric

Love it!

Kingston University London studying Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics Bsc.

I must be the first person studying this on the forum :)

i'm actually studying pretty much the same thing, with a bit more emphasis on mathematics than statistics. i'm working on a masters in applied mathematics (UNC-Greensboro) with the goal of going into actuarial science and/or financial modeling. do you have the same series of actuarial exams in the UK?

Been really enjoying my politics classes this semester. My favorite classes international relations and comparative politics. Im going to be getting my BA in 3 semesters and plan on applying to law school after that. The next few years are going to be really tough, but I have been buckling down and applying myself to my schoolwork recently which is something that ive never really done fully before and it is paying off. Oh and im going to Fresno State.

No idea how im going to pay for law school without going massively in debt, but hopefully i can ace the LSATs and get into a good school and make it all worth while.

Last edited:
Went to University of Wisconsin Madison where I majored in electrical engineering and English literature, now doing my masters in computer engineering at the University of British Columbia Vancouver. Planning on going into computer hardware engineering.

My passion has always been the humanities, although I do like mathematics and the sciences as well. I love writing academic essays and got accepted to a Ph.D program in English literature at Columbia but I suffered from commitment issues at the last minute. With this shite economy I couldn't face the possibility of pouring six years of my life into a program that could very well put me into unemployment out of graduation and overqualified for a lot of jobs I could have gotten into the meantime. Furthermore the chances of landing a professorship at a university is incredibly low for doctorates in the humanities due to the lack of retiring professors, the small departments, the lack of funding for the humanities at most universities in general, and this economic downturn. A large percent of humanities grads end up working in private industry/consulting/community college instructor of some sort and to me ending up in those positions was incredibly unappealing. So I took the safe route, cashed in my engineering degree, and am taking my career in that direction. Part of me still regrets not going for the phd, but I think stability these days is just more important.

Last edited:
I am studying Spanish at STephen F. Austin. I like to speak foreign langauges and I intend to teach, write, and interpret.

I'm studying Chemistry as an undergrad at McGill University in Montreal. My interest in drugs is why I have chosen this field. I don't really know what I'll do if/when I do graduate, though. Master's and Ph.D. in Chemistry or Pharmacology? Pharmacy degree? Law school? A Bachelor's in Chemistry by itself doesn't seem very useful for getting a decently paid job.

Last edited:
I am studying Money/Monetary Economics and Finance (double major, but through a program that makes it less strenuous than it sounds) at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. I started out undecided through sophomore year and applied for the College of Business and got accepted. I initially was majoring in Logistics, but I found my Finance and Economics class to be far superior in content and personal interest from my Supply Chain Management and Lean Operations courses I was also taking.

The funny thing is, I am in contact with Diageo, the world's largest producer of spirits and a major force in beer and wine production, about an internship this summer. I am lucky to have a great connection to Diageo, because my family's liquor distributing business is a huge client for Diageo and they seem to be very serious with their offer of a paid internship. The only thing is that their internship requires certain majors, and Economics and Finance are not on the list. I would have to revert back to Supply Chain Management/Logistics to land this internship but it could lead to a seriously awesome future both financially and in terms of benefits (incredible travel opportunities and other GREAT employee benefits.)

Bachelor of Health Science - Western Herbal Medicine.

Because I think that preventative medicine is extremely important...

i'm actually studying pretty much the same thing, with a bit more emphasis on mathematics than statistics. i'm working on a masters in applied mathematics (UNC-Greensboro) with the goal of going into actuarial science and/or financial modeling. do you have the same series of actuarial exams in the UK?

Hey man just I've only just read this, had a bit of a break from bluelight! Nice to see someone else having the same career ideas as me. We have 8 exams after university, fortunately my course includes some exemptions so I don't have to all 8, what about yourself?