• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What causes opiate hangovers?

With opiates, the drug sticks to opiod receptors in your brain. Because they are an antagonist not an agonist, they dont really do anything, they just block other signals from your body from reaching the appropriate brain cell. Most cases these are unplesent signals, such as pain, hence why it makes such a good pain killer, the pain signal cant reach the brain cell it is supposed to. When you do a higher then average dose, your body realizes that the signals are being blocked and your brain actually produces more opiate receptors so the signals can get through. Now when the opiate wares off, not only can the signals start getting through again, there is more places from them to go, making you extra sensitive to all the bad shit the opiate was blocking. This is also what causes some of the withdrawl symptoms like sensitivity to pain when you quit, your body winds up with way too many opiod receptors so anything bad pretty much has a free open ride to do its nasyness.
I dont think there is anything you can really do to prevent these "hangovers", but a morning pill will block off those newly developed opiod receptors and you will feel all better again.
Im no bio-chemist, so i cant guarentee that what i said is correct, but from my understanding of how opiates work and the research i have done on the subject, this seems to be the most likely cause of these "opiate" hangovers. But remeber just cause it makes sense to me it doesnt mean its true.
Anyone have a different explaination id love to hear it

most opiates, at least the ones people take for fun, like oxy, morphine, heroin, etc. are agonists, not antagonists. they DO do something, and they don't just block pain signals by filling the receptor. antagonists are things like Naloxone (Narcan) which sit in the receptors and block other things (i.e. other opiate AGONISTS) from filling them.

I'm no bio-chemist either, so I can't tell you exactly what they do once they're logged in your mu-receptors...

The bit about creating more receptors seems more or less accurate , though.

Try a non sedating antihistamine the day after.

You will feel much better for it. You may also notice your skin is not so red anymore :)

IA few questions for those who personally know the opiate hangover:

1) Do you have any history of migraines or headaches that aren't caused from drugs/alcohol?
2.)Do you have any sinus problems?
3.)Do you drink alcohol much? With opiates at all?
4.)Is the hallmark factor the 'braincrushing' headache?

1) No, other than headaches from asthma from when I was 10-15 yrs old.
2) Sometimes, but I think it's mostly allergies in the spring.
3) No, almost never.
4) Yes, along with a bad taste (metallic) and a grinding that goes even to my jaws, and severe nausea.

Heroin Hangover

Ok, tried heroin for the first time the other day, and I must say -

1. The rush was less potent than I expected. Not much better than oxy in my humble opinion.
2. It was tar.

The question I have is about the "hangover" that I didn't expect in the least. I shot up right before I went to sleep, nodded my way out of consciousness, and when I woke up my entire body hurt - like I had been exercising. Ive been getting bad muscle cramps as well. This happened after both days I shot up, and while I am definitely done doing it for a while (too intense for my liking, the nod can be kinda scary) I am curious if it is a common aftereffect of using the drug. If so I can accept it and move on, if not, well, then I guess I should find a different source.

For the record - everything was completely sterile, and the injection site appears completely clean except for a slight bruise.

You should try powder heroin. That, or get better quality tar.

Yes, heroin will tend to give you muscular aches.

I would find a better source IMO.

I'm going to merge this into "What causes opiate hangovers?" as I think it would best fit there.

You should try powder heroin. That, or get better quality tar.

Yes, heroin will tend to give you muscular aches.

I would find a better source IMO.

I'm going to merge this into "What causes opiate hangovers?" as I think it would best fit there.

Unfortunately, where I live, tar is all that exists. Im not on the east coast or anywhere near it like you lucky fuckers.

Ive experienced both the hangover and the after glow. Ah love afterglows, just literally jumping out of bed!..
Ive also found myself(first months using oxycodone/light use) getting sick not when coming up or peaking but rather when i start coming down. This still holds true should i get sick but thats rarer these days. So why do i get sick when coming down? Maybe thats why people are sick when they wake up? Perhaps they wouldve got this "hangover" before they actually passed out but just fell asleep and postponed it? lol idk just throwin shit out there.

So what technically causes the difference between a Afterglow and a Hangover is peaking my curiosity...

Unfortunately, where I live, tar is all that exists. Im not on the east coast or anywhere near it like you lucky fuckers.

I'll move to California and you can take my place. There's plenty of powder heroin here to go around.

Get me the hell out of here.

I've never really gotten a hangover, more of a still nodding a bit, kinda numb afterglow.

Hey guys, oddly enough one think I've found out helps and might even cure the nausea and headaches is none other than marijuana!

The experience pretty much changed my whole perspective on medical marijuana, I was too nauseaus to keep anything in my stomach for too long but smoking some pot totally changed that!

That makes me think of the what I thought first reading this thread: namely, I really believe that after any mini binge that will cause the "hangover" your brain has been broken down and told life was bliss, the psych affects of marijuana can be a gift or curse. I personally never had the symptoms of a hangover but opiates was like a marriage, I needed the law to get out of it. But going back to the pot .. in days 4-8 of w/d off domes I found the only way to get rid of some of my pain etc was smoking good outdoor headies. Now, however, I cannot even take a rip without instant anxiety of all my symptoms, even I take a benzo, it just amps up the w/ds. I think the hangover is mainly mental, I've been dragged out of bed after drinking myself blacked out and somehow got up and started going.. other days my mind just says fuck off and I drink gatorade take some tylenol pm and just sleep it off. I wish there was more scientific info for the "opiate hangover" I really would like to understand it.

do opiates constrict any blood flow in the head?
I know they act on some things in the head, eyes, bladder.

some people get bad headaches when those blood vessels "dilate" back out.

that would work with another poster's suggestion about 2 cups of coffee for the headache as well(caffiene constricts)

I am really not sure about the timing involved of the physical effects like that so this is just a guess.

Does anyone experience both hangovers and afterglow at different times?

Me and a friend will both do some opioid, the next day he'll consistently have a hangover whereas I'll have a nice afterglow.

opiate hangovers from REC use (none dependent)

Anyone who just uses opiates recreationally ever get hangovers, i did Subtuex last night (about 1.5mg subbed, fine for me although i did have a bit too many benzos) and today i feel achey, bit of a headache, kind of like a very very mild flu or something. I heard it may be the lack of oxygen in your blood over the night causing it but im not sure.

Its not withdrawals as i barely touch opiates, but is this common?

thanks

One morning after an oxy binge i woke up with a throbbing headache. Not sure if it was a coincidence though, but since then i've been wondering this also.

I do think headaches are a common side effect of opiates - post use. I often wake up with headaches after using opiates - both in the early days of opiate use and now with tolerance/dependence.

yeah man i use to get those really really bad. i had headaches so bad if i moved it would kick it worse and id start throwing up. if i where you i would take some advil for the headache and drink water slowly. if you drink to much water to quickly your just ganna throw it all up.

I'd say it's cranial pressure, but mostly chemical imbalance with endorphan system. Like addiction lite. Rebound headaches feel like small MDMA hangovers microdoses (<20mg). Hydrocodone usually doesn't do this for me, but oxy or heavier in 40mg+ doses sometimes do. Leading me back 2 the endorphan response.

I have only had an opiate "hangover" the next day when I had zero tolerance a few years back. I would do a little bit of heroin every now and then. One night I partied my ass off and did over a gram. The next day I was sweating, felt really tired, then proceeded to puke all over myself on the way to work. Went home and changed, went to work later and had a bad headache and felt really sick the whole day. Went home went to bed at like 6pm and woke up the next day feeling lots better. During my shitty day at work I tried tylenol and it didn't help. Damn good question though as to why this happens. Oh, wait, the first time I railed an oxy 80 I puked the next day as well and had a hangover. I think it's a tolerance thing. I would love to have those days back of when I took an oxy 40 and chilled. Now I am sitting here a few months later with the chills, sweats,etc. on day 3 of WD. Thank God my friend came by with Klonopins! I want to stop for good this time. Vicious 7 year cycle.

If I had to take a guess it would be caused by a rebound increase in blood pressure, which then causes a migrane.

I never get these though, as I am opiate dependent.

Never had any kind of hangover whatsoever from them, short duration opiates never had any kind of after affect for me whilst long duration ones would make me feel damn good the next day. I really can't imagine what an opiate hangover would be like, it's a paradox to my mind :\