• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What causes opiate hangovers?

Large coffee mug with 2 spoons coffee, bit of cream, 3 or4 chunks dark chocolate, add boiling water & stir in well, then a glug of bourbon.

;)Works every time

Well, it's not impurities as it happens after a night of eating pills as well, (unless you're counting filler as impurities.) And its not dehydration because I always drink a ton of water when I'm high.

Another symptom I always get is a bad taste in my mouth the next morning, from pills, dope, poppy tea you name it. It's a gross, chalky taste. anybody else notice that?

I don't think the hangovers are caused by simply a loss of the high or the bodies return to normal. They are far too horrific for that.

It's interesting that not everyone seems to suffer from them. Well, I'm hungover right now and let me tell you, they are worse than 99% of the alcohol hangovers I've had in my life. :\

I used to never get these hangovers, but do get them sometimes now. I noticed it when I did opioids 2 days in a row each evening for the first time. the next day i felt seedy, as if I smoked weed the evening before. I think it is depletion of serotonin. If you are getting it even if you only use 1 day every now and then it is a sign to reduce regularity. That is what I am doing now. The chalky taste is due to the dry mouth effect of opioids so you have a build up of mucus over night and some people even get soemthing called tonsilliths or sth....not nice. But to answer your question - serotonin depletion is the answer.

i used to wake up feeling like shit a lot of days, not quite w/d but just feeling real out of it. i found that stretching and going out and walking around/doing things helped a lot. (this is off oc's)

My doctor once told me that he can usually tell when a patient has been abusing opiates. There are certain "tells." For example? One example is when a patient appears to have a combination of flu symptoms that, together, are inconsistent with a viral infection. Especially if he avoids talking about them. I didn't ask him to elaborate further. I didn't want to seem too interested.

I woke up this morning with what I can only assume was an opiate hang over. I'd never had one before. It was really strange, I only had 3 percocets last night, which for someone who thought they'd developed a fair amount of tolerance, is a pretty small dose.
They did seem to affect me stronger then that amount should have . I got really sleepy and noddy, but it felt nice, for a while anyway.

When I woke up this morning I was in excruciating pain, with the worst headache ever. It felt like descriptions I'd read from people who'd survived aneurysms. It was all over the right side of my head, including a stabbing,throbbing pain in my eye. I felt nauseous and got the dry heaves. It went away in a few hours, but it was really scary there for a while.

I hate those rebound headaches, they are the type that even more opiates cant cure it seems to me.

Just to plus one this, I tend to find taking nothing helps get rid of the Rebound Headache much quicker (1 day as opposed to three in my exp). Plenty of Hot baths and a very long walk of my dogs helps but obviously not much more than that.

Feeding it with more opiates aint wise. Although i would be very interested if a much stronger opiate would indeed work in this situation (Oxy or H for example?)

I very frequently get Hangovers from DHC or Codeine, not awfully unlike an alcohol one (from what i remember, years since i drunk).

EDIT: Sorry for being a lazy twat, the odd person may find my input usefel so ill elaborate.

Last edited:
What are the odds of the headache being from respiratory depression -> intracranial pressure?

The hypoventilation associated with administration of opiate agonists, particularly by the intravenous route, can induce cerebral hypoxia and vasodilatation with resultant increase in intracranial pressure

For me, when I had my first nodding dose, I felt my breathing getting shallow (tried to stay awake and manually breathe), puked twice and had a headache throughout the day and next day, despite how much liquid I had. Not sure if my headache wasn't from dehydration, though.

When I've used solely Opiates I've never had one, but I have heard of the phenomenon.

What evidence is there that opiates increase intercranial pressure???

Honestly, I've never had a hangover from opies, ever. Pretty sure any hangover is attributable to the fact that they're simply potent substances that hit a large number of different chemical systems in the body.

Case closed? Probably.

^I've never had an opiate hangover either. I have had hundred of alcohol hangovers and nothing from opiates that even comes close to the hangover from drinking a 6 pack. And when I had a little to no tolerance I would wake up still feeling the opiate a bit, feeling better than I usually would in the morning.

I've had the rebound headaches, but I wouldn't really call them a "hangover", since I'm always fine the next day. They appear about 4 hours after dosing. I took hydrocodone for years and never got a single one, but with Opana or Oxy I'll get one of those bastard headaches occasionally. Taking additional opiates just makes it worse, so the best thing I've found is just pop some ibuprofen and try to sleep it off.

what's an opiate hangover?

If you take vitamins and supplements and are conscious about your diet you shouldn't be getting any hangovers unless by hangovers you mean like you use so much that you nod off and you've taken so much that you are actually not breathing for periods of time, like sleep apnea, and your brain gets deprived of oxygen, which causes a headache-like sensation that I guess could be compared to a hangover.

I think of opiate hangovers as just like booze... you have 1. dosed too much and 2. are dehydrated. Drinking a lot of water in the morning will help a lot if you feel like shit.. so will taking it easy in the future with how much you used.

Some opiate hangovers may be more a result of taken a high dose of APAP that are combined with many opiate meds. Also I can remember when I use to smoke weed regularly that if I took some percs or vics I would typically smoke much more. That could contribute to dehydration that possibly causes a headache. In that case you could probably just smoke some weed, drink water in the morning and the headache would be gone. Aside from dehydration the one thing I could think opiates might do to contribute to hangover like effects is depleting users of magnesium.

I also get these hangovers from sporadic use. If I use days in a row the hangover gets milder by the day. I've found heaps of coffee or energy drink helps ALOT.

What evidence is there that opiates increase intercranial pressure???

Honestly, I've never had a hangover from opies, ever. Pretty sure any hangover is attributable to the fact that they're simply potent substances that hit a large number of different chemical systems in the body.

Case closed? Probably.
They can cause increased pressure (medics always assess for head injuries before administration of and opioid). Because if they doped you up in the ambulance and you get to the hospital in a coma, narcan will make the next hour very bad; if you wake right up.

Although it's almost undetectable in non injured patients.

You know alcohol is supposed to increase GABA, with also increasing a smaller amount of epinephrine, and it produces Dopamine at larger doses? That means that someone who drinks past the limit of those reactions is drinking that much just to get Dopamine. Because the next day, they want to resume the same activity.

So it is about the 100 billion stars inside of our mind, because if you could see your mind from a microscopic level it is like a galaxy. These microscopic transmissions of electricity are actually chemical reactions. So chemicals added to already existing chemicals. You are going to have many many chemicals, but some of them stand out. The normal amount of activity that a mind will have is unique to life on earth, humans can add chemicals to make more electrical reactions, but the amount of chemical reactions should balance. But even in balance, if you create more reactions then afterwards, as if your mind is tired, you do not have as many reactions. That is nature, creation. You may feel something like an emotion, but that emotion is because of the transmissions and reactions that are going on, and the chemicals that are being produced within them.

I think that is the ultimate trick. That you can know what you're feeling is not reality. It is what the mind is creating, maybe even mind over matter at some point.

I use opiates not too much frequently, I experienced some kind of hangover the day after usage, I feel like I've some flu symptons, temperature, sweeting hands and feet and a bit of anxiety... of course some nausea and headache, i was wondering if this is normal

Last edited:
What cures the opiate hangover is diphenhydramine against the vomiting and sickness + ibuprofene or metamizole for headache and then drinking lots of water. If its not a really terrible case, where you feel sensitive to any external stimuli like light and sound, i am fine most of the time after this. The feeling of being on the edge of vomiting or vomiting itself can be so much worse then the headache itself. IF i get nauseous from opiates it its always the day AFTER i have used (too much at that time).