• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

I finally managed to find Mostly Harmless, the fifth and final Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book. Actually I found a copy when I went to Melbourne last year but the shop was charging something exhorbitant and I had precious little money. Anyway, it's definitely a great improvement over the fourth book, which has very little bearing on hitchhiking, the guide and even the galaxy. In fact Mostly Harmless is the complete opposite to the fourth book in those respects.

The series has come a long way from the old radio show and so the book feels a lot more modern than its predecessors. You could say that at this point in the series, most of the galaxy has been explored and the rest isn't worth writing much about, so the main scientific concept Mostly Harmless explores is parallel universes. Especially in the fact that they're not exactly parallel and they're not exactly universes but a Whole Sort of General Mish Mash.

Adams has criticised the rather bleak tone of the book, instead wishing he wrote it with a more upbeat ending. I disagree. I think the ending should been even more spectacular, going much much further than it did.

I'm a great fan of the Hitchhiker's series and thanks to a lot of free time on my hands, I managed to finish the entire book in one day and visualised the whole thing from beginning to end. I only hope the rest of the series is adapted to film and done right, if only to render some of the events in Mostly Harmless in glorious Hollywood CGI effects.

Right now I'm a bit further than halfway through Hunter's memoirs, Kingdom of Fear. It's pretty good. I assumed from reading the mish mash of jumbled stuff Hunter was writing around this time for ESPN that he had kind of lost his mind at this point. But I was wrong, he probably just wrote a lot of those ESPN articles whilst in the middle of benders.

He does a good job of this book in not rehashing a lot of the stuff from essays etc. of his, and sticking to aspects more behind the scenes of events mentioned in other writings.

"Birth Skills" by Sarah Murdoch.

It recommends banging stress balls together and stamping your feet to ease the pain of labour contractions :D Uh, yeah... I'll just take the epidural thanks :)

preacha said:
Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis

this sums it up the best

For a second I thought it was a book written by Warren Ellis of The Dirty Three

I was dissapointed to learn it wasn't, but at the same time I concede that summary sounded quite interesting

1984 by George Orwell....just started.

I'm definitely looking into that assasination book, that sounds like a good (albeit macabre) read!

I just started The Doors of Perception/Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley.

If all scientific books were this beautifully written not one person could fail to be an avid science enthusiast. My brain is screaming at me to devour this in one sitting and I am saddened that I already made plans to go out instead.

Higher Wisdom: Eminent Elders Explore the Continuing Impact of Psychedelics Edited by Roger Nash & Charles Grob.

The book contains a series of essays from 14 pioneers of psychedelic research: Ram Dass, Betty Eisner, James Fadiman, Gary Fisher, Peter T. Furst, Stanislav Grof, Michael Harner, Albert Hofmann, Laura Archera Huxley, Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
Alexander T. Shulgin, Ann Shulgin, Huston Smith and Myron Stolaroff.

So far, it's absolutely fantastic. :)

^ Whereabouts did you get that because I'm really interested in reading it over this month.

I had to order it from amazon.com, as it's not available in Australia - I ordered it about a month ago, and it arrived the Wednesday I got back from Melbourne (30th). I called Borders, and they tried their contacts here and overseas and couldn't order it in, unfortunately. :\

Old Boy - written by Garon Tsuchiya and artwork by Nobuaki Minegishi

25-year old Shinichi Gotō was kidnapped one fateful night and locked up in a private jail for unknown reasons. After ten years of solitary confinement, with only a television set for company, he was suddenly released. The story follows his quest to hunt down the identities of his captors and uncover the reason behind his imprisonment.

Similar to the film rendition but different enough to create a new experience

^ when it comes to manga adaptations of movies, you should try the Battle Royale series

ups the brutality by at least 100 times

Kafka on the shore ended how it started - absolutely wonderfully. It seriously was one of the best books I've ever read. I want to sex Murakami's mind....

Now, because I'm slightly OCD I am reading Amerika by Franz Kafka (next I'm going to read a book by a man named Amerika :\)

Not too far in but I like it so far - good imagery and characterization.

I'm reading 'Not Without My Sister' by Kristina Jones, Celeste Jones and Juliana Buhring.

Really sad story of three girls who grow up in a Christian cult who uphold warped ideals of sex and pedophilia as part of their theology.

The title makes me laugh tho because of South Park's Terrance and Phillip in "Not without my anus". :)

I'm reading Freakanomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner and I'm finding it very, very interesting, which is extremely unusual for a book about the science of statistics. That is basically the point of the book though, that statistics can be applied to things that are actually interesting.

I think almost anyone would find it interesting.

^^^ The only chapter I read in that book was the one about selling crack. Very interesting indeed.

I read it a few years ago. Check out the website there are plenty of add ons and study topics that you can read.

Prior to reading Freakonomics I often chased up his work in the American Economic Journal, check it out if you hunger for more. Very good stuff if your an avid economist however readers of Freakonomics may find it very dry as Dubner was the writer who sweetened the text up for a wider audience

Thanks eggman, I am checking out the website now. They send signed bookplates internationally, which is kind of cool I guess.

The Road to Paradise by Paullina Simons.

Not the most "intelligent" of books but she is one of my favorites and her books are always easy to read and entertaining.