• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

I love gatsby, but then again when I read it the first time was when I was studying it.

Fitzgerald is one of my favourite authors of all time.

up all night said:
It makes me wonder how many amazing books I simply don't understand and therefore can't really appreciate.

You should start with the Bible.

^ James! Holy shit I thought LA had swallowed you whole. And don't mock me just because my IQ falls short of MENSA. And by MENSA I mean writing off a car while drunk, and by writing off a car while drunk I mean I miss your stupid calls.

FYI I know my Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson - a must for any Fear and Loathing fan!

Mandatory reading 'Health Care and the Law' along with a host of other Management texts :-{

Nice contrast with the Hunter book!!!

Isis

^ Coincidentally I bought Kingdom of Fear today. All his books are so expensive online so I've been slowly buying them but I walked past a second hand store and it jumped at me from the display window. $12.50 and it's like a semi hardcover in excellent condition. Too fucking cool!

Read it. It's pretty interesting. Wait till you get to the story about the mountain lion.

Oh don't worry I will. After I finish some other books. I have a never ending pile. I keep buying books as I see them rather than when I need something to read. It got intense after I went to Alaska because I went to one of those American super stores with every book you can ever think of and spent like $300 U.S.

whats a semi hard cover my man?

Let me know when you are ready for another one and I'll hand you over a copy of the Great Shark Hunt, pretty good HST collection

I've already got and read the Great Shark Hunt and its sequel Fear and Loathing in America but thanks heaps for the offer lad. My HST collection is well on its way to completion.

Ok its a soft cover but it is very well presented with two folding in edges.

Has anyone read Rum Diary by HST? I thought it was pretty interesting. Nice easy book to read. He even had a love interest in it!

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts :)

Yes and it speaks volumes of Hunter's love for Hemingway. Great book and supposedly a movie is being made with a reprising role by Mr Depp.

lostpunk, I'm sure you know this, but I read somewhere that HST used to type out Hemingways books. Apparently he did this to get a feel for the flow and structure of Hemingways writing style.

I've been dying for that movie to come out. This year apparently. I can't wait.

In other news, I'm reading Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. I hate it, I can't wait for it to be over. The story is ok but his writing style is fucking shit house IMHO. To the point where it makes me angry.

I had read that Doctor and I think it does really shine through in The Rum Diary. Which is not a bad thing because I love Hemingway. But I think he really found his own style with Fear and Loathing.

Nicky: I enjoyed Ice Station in a turn your brain off way. It's the only book of his I've read but as an action book it works well, and it's kind of gory too. It would make a fantastic big budget movie.

At the time I was kind of stretched for reading material and had taken to reading a whole heap of shitty Clive Cussler novels my parents had so maybe it was just good compared to them. You suck Dirk Pitt.

^ Oh yeah, it would definately make a great movie. I'm kinda surprised that it isn't a movie yet.
I just can't stand how the author seems to constantly repeat things like I didn't get it the 1st time and how he contradicts himself from time to time.

Next in line for me is The Vampire Lestat my Anne Rice. I haven't read a vampire book in years, this is one I missed during my 1st vampire phase.

^ I enjoyed The Vampire Lestat. :) I enjoyed the 3 first books in the Vampire Chronicles a little more with each one i read, with QoTD being just plain fantastic. The movie kinda annoyed me, because they mixed TVL & QoTD, changed plots, etc, however those i know who have never read any Vampire Chronicles loved it.

The movie has a fantastic soundtrack though.