• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

There are homeless people in libraries!

Kidding... I keed! Really I prefer to sit on my lazy ass and have the books come to me.

Last edited:
Just finished listening to the book now on cd:

The Richest Man In Babylon

Fucking great book fi you want to know how to save $$

now im reading:

The One Minute Manager

given to me by my boss.

Oh man don't get me started on what I'd do to old books...

Some other time maybe?

I'm rereading Wizard and Glass by Stephen King simply because it's one of my favourites in the series.

Im reading Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk, i really wish i read the novel before i saw the movie now.

DoctorShop said:
Oh man don't get me started on what I'd do to old books.

When I was at uni the library had a basement where it stored all of the older books that had very few check outs and it was called the stack as it basically comprised of a whole segment of collapsable shelves.

Anyways there was a guy in our study group that confided in me one night whilst drunk that he routinely went down in there and wacked off into a random book he would pick up off the shelf.

He didnt really offer any reason why he did this, he just did

Ew. I used to sleep in that area of my library. I hope jerking off into books isn't a common thing.

It's quite the underground fetish. I'd tell you more but I'd be breaking the rules of book club...

oh. shit.

i generally try to read at least one decent sized book a day (or 2 for harry potters :p) so i definately enjoy a good chatter about books.

i just finished 'the road' by cormac mccarthy - it got a pulitzer prize and what not but i found it had similarities to many abstract painting i see in galleries, which are worth millions and are praised indefinately but in which i cannot see any significant skill.
It had praise heaped on it in ridicolous amounts by any and every possible source known. nobody seemed to be able to fault it and it was even recommended for a nobel prize. However, in my experience, while the book was enjoyable and a good read yes, i found the prose to be immature, the language primitive, and while some bits were indeed inspriational or thought provoking, it wasnt as entertaining as i had hoped.

on a better note though, in the last month, by far the most outstanding book i have read is called an interpretation of murder by jed rubenfeld - the laguage was articulant, fluent, entertaining, and its probably one of the most impressive books i've ever read, (and i read a shittonne). oh, and it was his first novel too. big props.

if anybody has read rubenfelds book, can you recommend to me any others that may be similar or that i would like? im finding it harder to geta good read these days, i have exhausted most of the libraries in my city :) (of fiction anyway)

Some science fiction thing called "Dune" well known apparently. Just started it.

The Book of Blood Volume 1-3 by Clive Barker

If you like horror and couldn't be bothered reading a whole book then these are fantastic short stories that will leave you wondering how someone can come up with shit like that.

I might move onto the master of horror and get my own copies of H.P. Lovecraft next.

first i have to say.... Bill Hicks was a brilliant brilliant man, love his work....:) right now im reading stupid white men by michael moore, its an old one but ive been wanting to read it 4 ages finaly got my hands on one the other week. happy readin!!=D

Riot Grrrl said:
The Book of Blood Volume 1-3 by Clive Barker

If you like horror and couldn't be bothered reading a whole book then these are fantastic short stories that will leave you wondering how someone can come up with shit like that.

I might move onto the master of horror and get my own copies of H.P. Lovecraft next.

Oh that sounds great! I am also a HUGE fan of Lovecraft - and Lovecraftian horror - which encompasses the Cthulhu Mythos. The short story "Crouch End" by Stephen King which is written in the same genre. Scary stuff.

If you like horror - you should take a look at novels by Graham Masterton. Very graphic and definitely gets my heart racing.

The Sleepless is one that has stuck with me for years. :(

edit: If you like horror films and the Cthulhu Mythos genre, you'll love John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness - it scared the living daylights out of me. :\

Last edited:
ifonly said:
i just finished 'the road' by cormac mccarthy - it got a pulitzer prize and what not but i found it had similarities to many abstract painting i see in galleries, which are worth millions and are praised indefinately but in which i cannot see any significant skill.
It had praise heaped on it in ridicolous amounts by any and every possible source known. nobody seemed to be able to fault it and it was even recommended for a nobel prize. However, in my experience, while the book was enjoyable and a good read yes, i found the prose to be immature, the language primitive, and while some bits were indeed inspriational or thought provoking, it wasnt as entertaining as i had hoped.

I also just finished this today. I wholeheartedly agree with what you've posted... particularly about the prose, and I also didn't like the way he structured the dialogue between the father and son. It was meant to be some exposition on the best and worst of human nature, but I ultimately found it rather bland and while there were aspects I did enjoy, by the end didn't really feel as though I'd been on any kind of journey with the characters.

I'm currently reading Higher Wisdom - Eminent Elders Explore the Continuing Impact of Psychedelics , which is a selection of interviews with some of the pioneers of psychedelic research (like Shulgin & Hoffman). I'm finding it enlightening to say the least :) If only our politicians could be exposed to such reasoned arguments on a regular basis.

^ Isn't it a fantastic read, Kat? I knew you'd get a lot out of it.

:)