• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tolerance weed anxiety i didn't have before

bananagrams

Greenlighter
Ok so first things first: I have smoked from bongs, joints, and dispensary carts. Bong rips have always given me a bad time (greening out, dry heaving, panic attacks, etc). I am diagnosed with depression and anxiety and at the moment, I can get medical carts that are 1:1 cbd and thc. When I first got a cart, it was 8:1 or something like that and I experienced no 'high' at that level. I have since used 2:1 and then 1:1, and I got to a point where I would take 5-10 pretty long hits off of the 1:1 cart with a mild, pleasant, munchies-type high. However, circumstances in my life led to me being forced to take a break off of all weed for about a month. Recently, I got a new 1:1 dispensary cart and my first time using it after a break, I took about 5 hits (very foolishly, I should've known to go lighter after a break) and was pretty high to the point that I looked up videos on how to stop weed panic attacks and watched a 30 minute one all the way through as it was the only thing that comforted me in that moment (pretty dramatic I know lol). However, now I take only one or two hits and I feel nervous, dissociated (in a bad way, not a fun weed way) and panicky, shaking and thinking I'm going to die. Smoking before showers used to comfort me, but now it has turned the shower into a horrifying and anxiety-inducing place for me. I know I might be psyching myself out, but this knowledge is of no comfort when I am in that state. Is there something I'm doing wrong / should I smoke cbd cigarettes with my hits to up the cbd levels? Is there a strain I can try that will just get me high without the anxiety and paranoia again?

TL;DR-
Smoked weed before and was fine, but at lower levels after a t-break I am an anxious mess. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Take one smaller hit is all i can think of. I would rule out the CBD thing if you're already taking 1:1 which is way more CBD than recreational strains and probably enough to do whatever modulation it does on the THC high. Everything you describe sounds like a THC "overdose" like even i with my huge cravings have experienced sometimes with huge doses. It gets less dramatic when you get familiar with it but it's beyond any recreational aspect anyway. I've seen people get that from one or two hits so it's nothing weird i think. You can also get stuff like fainting and impaired hearing, as if from low BP or blood sugar. I suspect some of the bad effects are related to blood sugar and food intake. I never get anything like that sober, so maybe there's something with the cannabinoid system that makes us more sensitive about body homeostasis things.

You're lucky if one small hit gets you high.

Or maybe weed is not for you anymore. No need to get high if it doesn't suit you at the time being.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got way too high. What are you looking for out of weed? Depending on what you want, your answer is to use smaller amounts/weaker shit, or quit entirely. Basically, if you can get a little high and get what you need, keep doing it, but if you need to get that baked but can no longer enjoy it, then work your tolerance back up or take a break until you're in a place where whatever you panicked about isn't an issue.

Getting too high used to make me paranoid and now it doesn't unless I'm in the wrong environment.

Environment is everything with psychedelics.

Getting stoned in front of my parents makes me paranoid, but getting super baked (like insanely baked) at my house does nothing to me.

This didn't used to be the case. I would get paranoid in any environment if I get stoned enough... Since then, I have processed a lot of trauma and worked through a lot of shit and now I don't give a fuck anymore. I am secure in who I am. I am not afraid of the police or my neighbours or anyone else. Fuck them.

This plant is good. I am good. That's all I need to know.

Not sure if that's helpful at all.

Normal.weed gives anxiety.depends also on strain,ammount.Thats why weed and beer,weed and opies...etc.goes smoothly

I've never felt anxiety from weed in nature. Weed doesn't make me paranoid about wild animals or acts of God. It only, ever, makes me paranoid because it is illegal.
For me I think I psych myself out and get anxious that I'm gonna have a bad high, and then because of this I kinda manifest it for myself accidentally.

Oh, that's bad trip anxiety. I have had that with stronger psychedelics like psilocybin and LSD but not weed.

It sounds like you have a pre-existing anxiety disorder that makes you particularly sensitive to psychedelics.

Have you tripped before?

Oh, that's bad trip anxiety. I have had that with stronger psychedelics like psilocybin and LSD but not weed.

It sounds like you have a pre-existing anxiety disorder that makes you particularly sensitive to psychedelics.

Have you tripped before?
Nah, I've stayed away from stronger psychedelics because I get anxious with weed so I figure a longer lasting and more intense high would be pretty bad for me personally. When I was younger, I ODed on Zoloft as well and had extreme hallucinations and withdrawal (serotonin syndrome maybe as well? idk I was young) and it was the worst experience of my life so I am wary to stuff that might have that sort of effect. I do have generalized anxiety disorder, and I think this probably causes my issues with weed but I am kinda sad that I'm not one of those people whose anxiety is helped by weed lol. Only thing that seems to help so far is Xanax (unfortunately as I hear benzo withdrawal is brutal).

When I first got a cart, it was 8:1 or something like that and I experienced no 'high' at that level.

I have significant social anxiety issues and general anxiety issues. These anxiety issues are lessened when I'm stoned but they are heightened when I'm not stoned (but still getting baked regularly) relative to long periods of sobriety. You might have to read that sentence twice. It's clunky. I just ate a 2 gram edible and I'm on my third beer. Starting to lose focus.

Same thing goes with cigarettes. Smoking cigarettes relieves stress but the stress only exists because I am addicted to nicotine in the first place. It is a cat chasing it's tail.

I would suggest you stop the weed (and drugs in general) for a while.

People take benzos for anxiety, but that doesn't fix the core of the problem. It is a mute button. (Don't get me wrong. Mute buttons have their purpose.)

Drugs are a garnish. They do nothing without the human that consumes them. The core of the drug experience is not the drug, it is the human. This is why you have a different experience with cannabis than others do.

I am kinda sad that I'm not one of those people whose anxiety is helped by weed lol.

Weed will not always be the same for you. You need to explore the core of your problem.

Why are you anxious?

For me, improving my personal hygiene and getting fitter has helped me to be much more confident. I used to be a dirty hippy and skinny as a rake. Now I wear nice clothes and I go to the gym.

The more positive things you do for yourself, the more rewards you will reap.

All I have to say is... welcome to prolonged cannabis abuse?

I’m sorry to say it but I don’t know anyone who has been using weed for several years who doesn’t eventually develop a reverse tolerance effect in regards to anxiety. I started smoking ten years ago and weed only gets more and more anxiogenic as the years go by. It just seems to be par for the course. I would recommend either dosing lower or cutting back your use. No matter what you do though, weed will tend towards the anxious side.

And where are you getting the idea that weed is anxiolytic for anyone? I’ve never, ever met anyone who gets less anxious by smoking weed. Sounds like an urban myth. Lazy? Yeah. But free from anxiety? Never.

When I was young I smoked every day. Ever since my addiction I can’t touch it not even one hit. My anxiety goes through the roof.

Cream Gravy? said:
I’ve never, ever met anyone who gets less anxious by smoking weed.

You have now.

EDIT: I'm seriously confused by your statement.

If you go camping and you sit up on a mountain with a couple of friends and smoke weed, that makes you anxious?

When I was young I smoked every day. Ever since my addiction I can’t touch it not even one hit. My anxiety goes through the roof.
You have now.

EDIT: I'm seriously confused by your statement.

If you go camping and you sit up on a mountain with a couple of friends and smoke weed, that makes you anxious?
Anytime I use weed or marijuana I get terrible anxiety

Benzos literally turn off a part of your brain.

Weed makes it impossible to relax if a particular part of your brain needs unravelling and is otherwise being neglected.

The good thing about psychedelics in general is: they insist upon people looking inwards and fixing themselves. They aren't sedatives. The psychedelic experience isn't escapism.

Unfortunately, people abuse psychs for recreational purposes. They ignore God while basking in his/her glory. I have done this. It's hard to resist.

All drugs have the potential for abuse.

Last edited:
Benzos literally turn off a part of your brain.

Weed makes it impossible to relax if a particular part of your brain needs unravelling and is otherwise being neglected.
It feels so much better to take a benzo than to smoke week. Benzos leave no anxiety. Weed makes you feel wierd and full of anxiety.

i’d love to know what having a fully unraveled brain feels like
Your brain is not fully unraveled. It is a calmness. The way you think you should be feeling from weed is the way a benzo will make you feel. Stop with the weed. It’s not working. Find something else