• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Valium withdrawal

And no, I'm not going to talk to you about AA. I'll talk to you about taking responsibility for your drinking. Taking power over your drinking. Cuz if you take power over your drinking, you can stop drinking. If you believe your powerless you can't do s***.
This is what I want. I don’t think I could make it in AA, I like drinking, I just need to do it a lot less. I know I would slip up and drink.
We have similar stories, I bet a lot of people do.

I do appreciate your help and I know I can be stubborn

I got 20 years of drinking, but I wouldn’t say they were all excessive years, I am 37 years young, have a good job, my own house, friends.
Alcohol takes a toll on me health wise. I been a heavy drinker for 10+ years, definitely some sobriety mixed in there.

I am not deflecting — nobody knows my situation better than myself. I know what’s at stake, and the toll alcohol has and does play on me physically. Tapering down the alcohol, or a reduction, is a huge plus for me, will it last, we will see. Removing valium from my system is another plus. why abuse / use two drugs when I don’t need to. I could understand if I was just gonna use a benzo and no alcohol but as of this last year, all I did was add a benzo “addiction” to a bad AUD.

I been through intermediate alcohol withdrawal hundreds of times. It’s 4-5 days, without using benzos, of pretty severe side effects. Some are the same as benzo withdrawal but than again it’s completely different!
what I am experiencing or did experience was nothing I have ever been through With past alcohol withdrawal. it all came together once I started reading about Valium withdrawal symptoms, half-lifes and protracted symptoms. I knew right away, I was suffering from more than just alcohol withdrawal. It just took me a year to figure that out.

nothing but respect
I love reading and hearing about people’s own struggles and how they overcame them, adapted or are still fighting to live the life they want
Alcohol withdrawal gets worse the more times you withdraw. It's called kindling.

I don't know if you were aware of that.

So yeah what's your experiencing Is alcohol withdrawal.

By the way, there is such a thing as persistent alcohol withdrawal syndrome.

And you withdraw at least 10 times a year every year since you've been drinking. You said you've had withdrawal hundreds of times. That's at least 200. You've only been drinking 20 years. That means you withdrawal 10 times a year.

More than once a month.

You're just noticing your alcohol withdrawals symptoms because you stop taking the benzos. It's not benzo withdrawal.

You're just noticing your alcohol withdrawals symptoms because you stop taking the benzos. It's not benzo withdrawal.
Your so 4 benzos! Since I stopped the valium and reduced my alcohol, I felt a lot better! Now, will I start drinking heavily again? I don’t know, I do know I don’t want to And valium usage has nothing to do with stopping me from drinking
Dude, you're still in alcohol withdrawal. I wouldn't worry about Valium withdrawal after 60 days.
2-4 weeks, low dose, can cause valium withdrawal
There is nothing wrong with benzodiazepines. Most people don't have horrible withdrawal, most people have mild withdrawal, if any. And when I say most, I'm talking 95 to 99%.
This is the worst statement I have ever heard! Benzodiazepines withdrawal is horrible, and a lot of us can’t wait/ do a 3 year taper. this sounds like something the drug companies would say!
Those are insignificant amounts of Valium the way you spread them out.
Once again, Valium is a horrible drug, with a large half-life.

Your so 4 benzos! Since I stopped the valium and reduced my alcohol, I felt a lot better! Now, will I start drinking heavily again? I don’t know, I do know I don’t want to And valium usage has nothing to do with stopping me from drinking

This is the worst statement I have ever heard! Benzodiazepines withdrawal is horrible, and a lot of us can’t wait/ do a 3 year taper. this sounds like something the drug companies would say!

I am getting through the Valium symptoms and have reduced the alcohol to where my withdrawal symptoms are minor.
I never should have fucked with Valium when I had one foot in and another out.

i gotta start fresh, retrain my brain.

no disrespect, but I completely disagree with your Benzo analysis, and usage.

2 to 4 weeks of daily Valium use low dose is considered 10 to 15 mg of day.

That means 300 to 450 mg in the 4 weeks. I don't even think you're total Valium use over the last 6 months approaches that.

The withdrawal they're talking about is tiny mild withdrawal. You've been brainwashed by benzo buddies and horror stories from Dr. Ashton.

Most people do not have bad withdrawal from benzodiazepines. They just don't.

Believe what you want. I didn't say to take benzos. I said you're withdrawal symptoms aren't from benzos. They're from alcohol.

And you don't even understand how half life works. A long half-life means that you don't get bad withdrawal symptoms. A short acting benzo like Xanax will actually give you bad withdrawal. Librium and Valium because they leave your system slowly over a long period of time. Your body naturally weans itself off with very little withdrawal if any.

Why you think doctor Heather Ashton switches people from every other benzodiazepine to Valium for tapering? Duh

And you don't even understand how half life works. A long half-life means that you don't get bad withdrawal symptoms. A short acting benzo like Xanax will actually give you bad withdrawal. Librium and Valium because they leave your system slowly over a long period of time. Your body naturally weans itself off with very little withdrawal if any.
thanks for telling me what I do and don’t understand. The Valium half-life is the reason u did a 3 + year taper! Cause it is that serious and the withdrawal can be deadly.
Yes, once the drug is leaving your system, or a reduction, u will start to withdrawal. Essentially,you compared a oxycodone withdrawal to a poppy seed withdrawal, one has a short half-life, the other lasts forever! Xanax vs valium, both have protracted withdrawal.

Believe what you want. I didn't say to take benzos. I said you're withdrawal symptoms aren't from benzos. They're from alcohol.
Your right, nobody told me to start benzos, I don’t ”blame” u. But you do push benzodiazepines as being safe, a life saver, no withdrawal, no issues! And short term, they can be, but long term, it’s a horrible drug and those who have used them, I assume, would agree!
I know my body and I know my withdrawals! U only thought of alcohol, in my situation, and it wasn’t , it was a 2 tier withdrawal. You won’t even knowledge any benzo issue. It’s Like your related to Leo Sternbach, the chemist from ROCHE. Rip he died at 97, lord knows he didn’t use his 240 + drugs! Fucker should be held accountable, like the sakler family
Most people do not have bad withdrawal from benzodiazepines. They just don't.
Lie!! I had withdrawal issues. Ask the people what they think.

I still respect yeah, I just don’t agree with what u are speaking , Do you work for a benzo company?

Last edited:
If I could get on a low dose benzo, valium 2mg, as needed maybe 2x a day 4x a week I would stop drinking.
I enjoy what a benzo provides me socially, its better than drinking
Valium comes in 2mg tablets, they came in real handy when i tapered off valium, originally all i had was the blue 10’s which was highly inaccurate when cutting them into halves and quarters

thanks for telling me what I do and don’t understand. The Valium half-life is the reason u did a 3 + year taper! Cause it is that serious and the withdrawal can be deadly.
Yes, once the drug is leaving your system, or a reduction, u will start to withdrawal. Essentially,you compared a oxycodone withdrawal to a poppy seed withdrawal, one has a short half-life, the other lasts forever! Xanax vs valium, both have protracted withdrawal.

Your right, nobody told me to start benzos, I don’t ”blame” u. But you do push benzodiazepines as being safe, a life saver, no withdrawal, no issues! And short term, they can be, but long term, it’s a horrible drug and those who have used them, I assume, would agree!
I know my body and I know my withdrawals! U only thought of alcohol, in my situation, and it wasn’t , it was a 2 tier withdrawal. You won’t even knowledge any benzo issue. It’s Like your related to Leo Sternbach, the chemist from ROCHE. Rip he died at 97, lord knows he didn’t use his 240 + drugs! Fucker should be held accountable, like the sakler family

Lie!! I had withdrawal issues. Ask the people what they think.

I still respect yeah, I just don’t agree with what u are speaking , Do you work for a benzo company?
And no, it wasn't because of the long half-life that my taper took so long.

It was because I was on the equivalent of 85 mg of Valium a day for 3 months to prevent alcohol withdrawal, which transitioned down to 65 mg for another 3 months and then to 45 mg. I was on extended benzodiazepine treatment because I had suffered severe alcohol withdrawal before as well as persistent alcohol withdrawal syndrome.

I tapered off that long because I didn't want to suffer any type of withdrawal at all.

When I have been given Valium or Librium for 3 weeks after alcohol detox to prevent alcohol withdrawal, I never have a problem with benzo withdrawal. I'm sorry but you really don't know your pharmacology.

Yes, most people don't have withdrawal from benzos, especially at the low doses that you're taking them at.