• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Valium withdrawal

Cloudman115

Bluelighter
I am no longer going through alcohol withdrawal but might have a Valium issue.
Heavy drinker, 20 years— five days sober.
During the first 3 days off the sauce, I upped my Valium intake to around 12mg per day. Nothing on day 4 and so far nothing day 5. My anxiety is kicking in on day five, not unbearable, but not very comfortable, a mild - moderate withdrawal. ( I am a softy when it comes to withdrawal).

I been averaging about 5mg Valium, in the morning, for the Last 60 + days, 4-5 times a week. I also drank a 12 pack every night for the last 60 days. I Never abused benzodiazepines, but have had failed attempts in the past, monthly, to withdrawal from alcohol using benzodiazepines for a year now. But this is the first time I been taking benzodiazepines Daily for 2 months straight

1.)I have 30 mg of Valium left, should I set up a minor taper off of this amount? 2.5 mg, 4 days, than maybe 1.25 mg 8 days, than jump with 10 mg left? Use it all?

2.) should I just take the Valium when needed?
3.) ride it ?

Any body got a taper plan? The Ashton Manuel, I would be starting at step 10 and that’s for 20mg Valium daily. Way to much.

don't take anything until you absolutely need it that will reduce the length of withdrawals, when you do dose take the absolute minimum for some relief but wait as long as you can probably 2.5mg or something

repeat if necessary should start getting better and it will stop getting to the point you need to take anything and will just suck for a couple weeks you will have to ride out, potentially you are already at spot where you can just ride it out don't rule that out

I am no longer going through alcohol withdrawal but might have a Valium issue.
Heavy drinker, 20 years— five days sober.
During the first 3 days off the sauce, I upped my Valium intake to around 12mg per day. Nothing on day 4 and so far nothing day 5. My anxiety is kicking in on day five, not unbearable, but not very comfortable, a mild - moderate withdrawal. ( I am a softy when it comes to withdrawal).

I been averaging about 5mg Valium, in the morning, for the Last 60 + days, 4-5 times a week. I also drank a 12 pack every night for the last 60 days. I Never abused benzodiazepines, but have had failed attempts in the past, monthly, to withdrawal from alcohol using benzodiazepines for a year now. But this is the first time I been taking benzodiazepines Daily for 2 months straight

1.)I have 30 mg of Valium left, should I set up a minor taper off of this amount? 2.5 mg, 4 days, than maybe 1.25 mg 8 days, than jump with 10 mg left? Use it all?

2.) should I just take the Valium when needed?
3.) ride it ?

Any body got a taper plan? The Ashton Manuel, I would be starting at step 10 and that’s for 20mg Valium daily. Way to much.
I would taper off them to be honest. Does your Dr know about your alcohol problem and is the diazepam prescribed or not?

I would worry about cold turkey from diazepam especially after kicking alcohol.

I would taper off them to be honest. Does your Dr know about your alcohol problem and is the diazepam prescribed or not?

I would worry about cold turkey from diazepam especially after kicking alcohol.
Doctor knows about the drinking, I came clean. But the benzodiazepines are from a friend and the Doc does not know I use them.

I see him early next week. I guess I will see where I am at

don't take anything until you absolutely need it that will reduce the length of withdrawals, when you do dose take the absolute minimum for some relief but wait as long as you can probably 2.5mg or something

repeat if necessary should start getting better and it will stop getting to the point you need to take anything and will just suck for a couple weeks you will have to ride out, potentially you are already at spot where you can just ride it out don't rule that out
I’ll probably ride out today as long as I can, don’t care if I can’t sleep, but probably do a 2.5 mg before work tomorrow and possibly tonight.

If I can’t handle it I will.
the Ashton manual doesn’t even offer much advice for low dose benzodiazepines usage
Ok well be wary, the only reason I’d worry is the fact that you’ve come off alcohol and even though the diazepam dose wasn’t high I’d still worry about your risk of seizure.

I’m not trying to scare you but I’m always so cautious when it comes to benzo withdrawal/alcohol withdrawal.

Honestly, feeling good, but that half life, if I go into full blown withdrawal, 1-2 days from now, will taking 2.5 mg calm some of my issues?

Ok well be wary, the only reason I’d worry is the fact that you’ve come off alcohol and even though the diazepam dose wasn’t high I’d still worry about your risk of seizure.

I’m not trying to scare you but I’m always so cautious when it comes to benzo withdrawal/alcohol withdrawal.
Thanks.
so, I never had seizures or DT from alcohol withdrawal, and never withdrew from benzodiazepines before.

I wonder if there is a link between benzo seizures and alcohol seizures ?

Thanks.
so, I never had seizures or DT from alcohol withdrawal, and never withdrew from benzodiazepines before.

I wonder if there is a link between benzo seizures and alcohol seizures ?
Well yes, because they both hit those GABA receptors. Alcohol and benzo withdrawal are the two that could literally kill you which is why we always caution people to taper carefully off them.

I’m glad your dr knows about the alcohol and that you didn’t experience any DTs etc.

I’m sure you’ll be fine if you taper the diazepam you have but just keep it in mind.

the benzodiazepines are from a friend
Does this friend have a plug (hookup) for the diazepam (valium) or prescription? Do you know...?
Your post indicates that there is little left of the diazepam... if needed are they going to be still available?
Also... be as honest as you can with your doctor and maybe have blood drawn to ascertain if it is diazepam or other substance that may need a different approach to get away from.
Just a few cents strewn about take it as needed.
Peace

Honestly, feeling good, but that half life, if I go into full blown withdrawal, 1-2 days from now, will taking 2.5 mg calm some of my issues?
For the record I am currently on a short to long term half-life benzo (depends on dosage) and it takes roughly a week for withdrawals to start appearing and being noticeable in a tapered plan.
Wouldnt need the .25 to calm issues ya could drop it to 1.5 IMO/E and "feel" it.

Does this friend have a plug (hookup) for the diazepam (valium) or prescription? Do you know...?
Your post indicates that there is little left of the diazepam... if needed are they going to be still available?
Also... be as honest as you can with your doctor and maybe have blood drawn to ascertain if it is diazepam or other substance that may need a different approach to get away from.
Just a few cents strewn about take it as needed.
Peace
I could reach out. He never likes giving me more than 50 mg a month. And it’s usually always for a alcohol “stoppage“ /withdrawal over a 4 day window. He always worried about a new addiction on top of the alcohol. Good friend.

I know it’s legit valium cause he is prescribed them.
but I appreciate the idea.
I am going for blood work before the appointment, I could ask for a drug panel.

would that help with a taper plan? The amount of diazepam in my system

My advice nip the diazepam use now. Trust me wd from 60 days is nothing compared to 6 years
Right,
that’s why I feel decent about where I am at, also having a couple to get me to my doctors appointment is huge mentally 4 me.
withdrawal, often times, is more mentally straining 4 me than physical, it’s thinking about the horrible physical stuff that can kill you, the DTs and seizures that makes it so tough mentally.

For the record I am currently on a short to long term half-life benzo (depends on dosage) and it takes roughly a week for withdrawals to start appearing and being noticeable in a tapered plan.
Wouldnt need the .25 to calm issues ya could drop it to 1.5 IMO/E and "feel" it.
Ok,
i dont mind some discomfort, I just don’t want those grand mal seizures, a heart attack or DT.
so, your saying taking a Small dose I will feel it? That’s fine, as long as it keeps the serious issues at bay

Well yes, because they both hit those GABA receptors. Alcohol and benzo withdrawal are the two that could literally kill you which is why we always caution people to taper carefully off them.

I’m glad your dr knows about the alcohol and that you didn’t experience any DTs etc.

I’m sure you’ll be fine if you taper the diazepam you have but just keep it in mind.
Appreciate the help.
I can’t taper alcohol, but benzos, I have no desire to use recreational, I only started because it “cures” alcohol withdrawal.
or that’s how it started, than it branched out to a miracle drug after a night of drinking and having to go to work The next morning.

so , as for taking a beer every hour to taper, not gonna happen. But , to take micro doses of benzodiazepines, to be comfortable and safe, I am all in!!!
the one thing I learned is I never needed 50 mg valium for a alcohol withdrawal, hell, 30 mg is enough.
i am a binge drinker, I don’t need it all day. My withdrawals are getting worse from kindling but they are still more mental than physical.

so, your saying taking a Small dose I will feel it? That’s fine, as long as it keeps the serious issues at bay
If you are in actual withdrawls the time it took you to get to that point your body has been depleting the benzo during that time so yes a smaller dose will be sufficient in my experience to keep the "boogieman" at bay. ;)

My boy is. HP computer genius 2 university degrees, etc…….RUINED by alcohol & Cocaine abuse

He’s prescribed a drug opioid mu receptor agonist/antagonist that supposedly removes the pleasure from Drinking, massive dopamine receptor finger-f@cking and GABA PAM’s / benzos & gabapentoids

Good luck brother……god bless