• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Valium withdrawal

My boy is. HP computer genius 2 university degrees, etc…….RUINED by alcohol & Cocaine abuse

He’s prescribed a drug opioid mu receptor agonist/antagonist that supposedly removes the pleasure from Drinking, massive dopamine receptor finger-f@cking and GABA PAM’s / benzos & gabapentoids

Good luck brother……god bless
Alcohol is a hell of a drug. Unfortunately, I am learning that benzodiazepines are not a cake walk either.
how can the government say benzos are a schedule 4, while schedule 1 drugs…… fuck it, we all know why. Alcohol should be a schedule 1 drug.

sorry about u bro.

This Benzo withdrawal is no joke.
I know I am early into not taking benzos/ waiting until I need them, and my dosage was low, I wasnt on them that long , but these side affects put MY alcohol withdrawal to shame.

this brain fog that comes and goes in waves is rough. I feel like mush. My tinnitus and headache is constant. Low energy and libido ,depression and anxiety are on another level compared to MY alcohol withdrawals. I also lose balance sometimes.

I will say, my BP, heart rate and rebound anxiety are crippling during MY alcohol withdrawal.
I have no issues with My cardiovascular yet.

good news,
I been recalling the last couple months drug usage, and it’s been about a month of valium 5mg usage. 11/29- 12/22. Than my 10mg valium 12/24- 12/26 . So, only December was I taking benzos every day before work.

I did do a alcohol stoppage early November where I took 40 mg valium for 5 days, than nothing for weeks.
that’s been consistent the last couple months, 4 days,40-50mg benzos to cut back alcohol, than no benzos for weeks, but plenty of alcohol days later.

Bad news—
I also took 4.5 mg ,total of Xanax from 11/29- 12-27. Might be why I have such early symptoms of benzo withdrawal? Can different benzos cause withdrawal at different times because of the short half life?

I think I can ride this withdrawal out. I stay productive and things get easier, I been eating good and getting some sleep.
I know it’s super early, but I don’t want this benzo withdrawal no more!

what happened?
My boy is. HP computer genius 2 university degrees, etc…….RUINED by alcohol & Cocaine abuse

He’s prescribed a drug opioid mu receptor agonist/antagonist that supposedly removes the pleasure from Drinking, massive dopamine receptor finger-f@cking and GABA PAM’s / benzos & gabapentoids

Good luck brother……god bless

Never, cause I never miss a dose. Benzos are sold over the counter here. In almost 4 years I've never missed a dose of 2-4mg a day.
That’s cool.
I think if they were sold over the counter in the US, there would be a problem. But, nobody should tell people what they should or shouldn’t do, especially if it doesn’t hurt nobody else. It’s just big business running the show.

my poison, alcohol, is sold everywhere and that’s probably, from a health perspective, the worst drug on this planet.

i would recomwend seeing a doctor about this. Valium has a really long half life so its certainly possible to go 5 days without wd. in my experience most doctors are generally ok with giving out benzos to former benzo addixts and also alcoholics so id say don't suffer if you dont need to

I am no longer going through alcohol withdrawal but might have a Valium issue.
Heavy drinker, 20 years— five days sober.
During the first 3 days off the sauce, I upped my Valium intake to around 12mg per day. Nothing on day 4 and so far nothing day 5. My anxiety is kicking in on day five, not unbearable, but not very comfortable, a mild - moderate withdrawal. ( I am a softy when it comes to withdrawal).

I been averaging about 5mg Valium, in the morning, for the Last 60 + days, 4-5 times a week. I also drank a 12 pack every night for the last 60 days. I Never abused benzodiazepines, but have had failed attempts in the past, monthly, to withdrawal from alcohol using benzodiazepines for a year now. But this is the first time I been taking benzodiazepines Daily for 2 months straight

1.)I have 30 mg of Valium left, should I set up a minor taper off of this amount? 2.5 mg, 4 days, than maybe 1.25 mg 8 days, than jump with 10 mg left? Use it all?

2.) should I just take the Valium when needed?
3.) ride it ?

Any body got a taper plan? The Ashton Manuel, I would be starting at step 10 and that’s for 20mg Valium daily. Way to much.
Dude, you're still in alcohol withdrawal. I wouldn't worry about Valium withdrawal after 60 days.

Trust me brother. I went through the same thing you're going through now and I stayed on that Valium for 3 years sober until I tapered off and then I was able to stay sober off the alcohol for another two.

Now I can manage my drinking. I only drink three drinks a day. Usually glasses of wine. Sometimes some Malibu rum.

Is it hard not to drink excessively, sometimes, I'm not going to lie. I loved to drink. I love to get drunk. Cost me my marriage. But you live and learn.

I'm telling you right now if you keep tapering that valium down, you're going to start drinking again. I have been right where you are. You need to stay on the Valium and stay off the alcohol.

That valium will save your life. Alcohol will end it.

As far as when you should take it, I would talk to my doctor and between the two of you you can find out exactly the amount you need but you have to take it regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's how much I take in 3 days or so, the equivalent in clonazepam.
He was a 20-year heavy drinker. I bet that 50 mg of Valium just keeps him from shaking getting a fever and sweating all over the place.

I was there. I quit drinking in 2012, and I was a heavy daily drinker, and in order to keep me from having serious withdrawal symptoms, I was on 2 mg of Klonopin once a day and 15 mg of Valium three times a day.
My doctor slowly weaned me off of the Klonopin and I had no withdrawal because the Valium took care of that. She stabilized me on the Valium for I don't know three or four months. And then she started tapering me off the Valium down to 10 mg 3x a day over the course of a few months and then she let me stay there for a while. And it actually took about 3 years to totally taper off. And I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms except at the very end and I think that was psychosomatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
True,

I am new to benzo withdrawal.
at this point, alcohol withdrawal is easier!
You're not in benzo withdrawal. You're still in alcohol withdrawal. When you stop taking the benzo, your body is craving alcohol.

If you Think 5 days being sober is enough to make you stop having withdrawal after 20 years of drinking, you're nuts.

You're still at the risk of delirium tremens up to two weeks after you get sober. DTs.

There's a serious risk of you dying from alcohol withdrawal if you stop taking that Valium.

I know what I'm talking about. I've been hospitalized for alcohol withdrawal.

That’s cool.
I think if they were sold over the counter in the US, there would be a problem. But, nobody should tell people what they should or shouldn’t do, especially if it doesn’t hurt nobody else. It’s just big business running the show.

my poison, alcohol, is sold everywhere and that’s probably, from a health perspective, the worst drug on this planet.
Brother, embrace the benzo. Benzo. It will help you stay away from that poison. It will help you control the cravings in the urge.

It will also manage your elevated heart rate, you're sweating, the potential irregular heartbeat that you probably have, the anxiety because you still have it from no alcohol, the physical s*** that you're going through from not having any alcohol like the diarrhea, the stomach cramps, the pain in your body. When you stop taking the Valium that's when you feel that s***.

PM me man. I'll talk to you about it.

And no, I'm not going to talk to you about AA. I'll talk to you about taking responsibility for your drinking. Taking power over your drinking. Cuz if you take power over your drinking, you can stop drinking. If you believe your powerless you can't do s***.

And guess how you take power over your drinking right now? Take the Valium. The Valium will keep you from the shakes, feeling sick and craving that alcohol.

The Valium will give you power over your addiction.

I know how afraid you are of alcohol withdrawal. You just need to drink enough so you don't get to shakes, so you don't sweat that much, so you can sleep, just enough.

With the valium you don't have to worry about that.

You're not going to have to count the hours, and measure out your drinks. You know what time to take your medicine, and it will take care of you, and you can focus on getting better.

Alcohol is a b****.

You're not in benzo withdrawal. You're still in alcohol withdrawal. When you stop taking the benzo, your body is craving alcohol.

If you Think 5 days being sober is enough to make you stop having withdrawal after 20 years of drinking, you're nuts.

You're still at the risk of delirium tremens up to two weeks after you get sober. DTs.

There's a serious risk of you dying from alcohol withdrawal if you stop taking that Valium.

Shit, that's bonkers man.

Brother, embrace the benzo. Benzo. It will help you stay away from that poison. It will help you control the cravings in the urge.

It will also manage your elevated heart rate, you're sweating, the potential irregular heartbeat that you probably have, the anxiety because you still have it from no alcohol, the physical s*** that you're going through from not having any alcohol like the diarrhea, the stomach cramps, the pain in your body. When you stop taking the Valium that's when you feel that s***.

PM me man. I'll talk to you about it.

And no, I'm not going to talk to you about AA. I'll talk to you about taking responsibility for your drinking. Taking power over your drinking. Cuz if you take power over your drinking, you can stop drinking. If you believe your powerless you can't do s***.

And guess how you take power over your drinking right now? Take the Valium. The Valium will keep you from the shakes, feeling sick and craving that alcohol.

The Valium will give you power over your addiction.

I know how afraid you are of alcohol withdrawal. You just need to drink enough so you don't get to shakes, so you don't sweat that much, so you can sleep, just enough.

With the valium you don't have to worry about that.

You're not going to have to count the hours, and measure out your drinks. You know what time to take your medicine, and it will take care of you, and you can focus on getting better.

Alcohol is a b****.
I guess some ppl can drink once in a while. Sadly, it's not ur case :(

I appreciate all the advice from you and from everyone! I said i been drinking 20 years cause sometimes simple posts get more advice. Now, during that 20, I have had plenty of gaps of no alcohol. looking at this last year, I got more days on the sauce than I do off. So, yes I am a alcoholic, who works 9-5, and drinks at night. I don’t drink during the day unless it’s the weekends.
now, I realize I need to quit drinking and it’s killing me slowly, causing all sorts of health issues and I do go into withdrawal when I stop. All the symptoms u mention I get, besides seizures and the DTs , I’ve never had those.

I guess, coming off of those 5 mg of Xanax and still coming off of 60 mg valium, I realized how much they altered my brain chemistry, it felt so different, nothing I ever felt from alcohol. I really don’t want that feeling, but I get it, it’s safer than contining my journey with alcohol.
so, being on benzodiazepines is better than being a alcoholic, I get it, I just don’t know if long term benzodiazepines usage is the route I want to take.

I see my doctor on the third , I have been open about my alcohol usage, maybe I will mention the benzo usage as of late.
today is day five no benzo usage and I have only drank once, yesterday, out of the last 7 days.