Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Lost

Jack has dad issues. In the flash-sideways he has a son that he has issues with him that get resolved.

Sayid can not have Nadia because he is on the Island and she isn't. In the flash-sideways he can't have her because his brother is with her.

Ben is responsible for Alex's death on the Island. In the flash-sideways his http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/24.gifactions lead to her college goals "surviving."

Sun and Jin are trying to be together on the island. In the flash-sideways they can't be together because of Sun's father.

Saywer is a conman in the real world but in the flash-sideways he is a cop. Hell, the name of the episode is called re"CON." Like a redo on the con.

I dunno, there are a lot more connections like that and different ones (Jack's son David is playing the same song on the piano that a young Daniel Faraday once played) but I can't remember all of them right now. Check out the website www.lostpedia.org. They have EVERYTHING you wanted to know about LOST with no spoilers.

Yes. I see the parallels. So what?

Why does that make for compelling television? Why should I care? The story on the Island is compelling.

I don't understand what is interesting about the flash sideways. I am still just missing the boat here I guess.

Did we not watch the same episode? I thought the entire point of that one was to show the bridge between the two realities.

I get this. What I don't get is, WHY did they CREATE the two realities in the first place? They wouldn't need bridging if they never existed. The one time-line storyline was fine! It was compelling and interesting.

The show would have been just fine without all this extra stuff. The battle of good vs. evil, free will vs. determination, the mystical importance of the island, characters finding themselves... all of this was working just fine without the flash sideways.

I get this. What I don't get is, WHY did they CREATE the two realities in the first place? They wouldn't need bridging if they never existed. The one time-line storyline was fine! It was compelling and interesting.

The show would have been just fine without all this extra stuff. The battle of good vs. evil, free will vs. determination, the mystical importance of the island, characters finding themselves... all of this was working just fine without the flash sideways.

well in my opinion a major theme of the show has always been a focus on love and friendships being able to overcome impossible distances/odds. the flash sideways are kind of an extention of that. (friendship/family/love persists even through multiple realities.)

the flash sideways also could be a part of the explanation of why the island exists. the islands is probably going to be explained as a demension seperate from the flash sideways and even from the characters original lives, thats sole purpose of existing is to contain "pure evil" (man in black) sort of like a string theory drama show

I do see what your saying though it, does seem a little like they through these flash sideways into the story pretty abruptly for them to be a main story focus now. just have faith it will tie the other themes together in the end

Last edited:
so i was talking to a co-worker about this week's episode and how at the very end desmond asks the driver (fisher stevens, lol) for the flight manifest to "show them". so i got to thinking, okay so now his consciousness shifts between the two realities, except, it appears that he can remember what went on in the opposing reality. when he woke up on the floor at the darma facility, he looked at his hand. which happened right after he shook penny's hand in the other reality. so then he wakes up from passing out and im thinking okay, he just realized he was in the other reality. so he asks the driver for the manifest to "show them"...im thinking, okay he wants to take the manifest from the one reality and bring it with him to the other reality to show whitmore and his people.

then my co-worker goes, no. i think he just wants to see if he can find anyone else on that flight and see if they "felt what he felt".

i pause and then go....you know, that makes way more sense than my theory. hahahaha.

=D

^Yeah, I could see that.

fjones, I think that's the great mystery of the show -- the big question on everybody's mind that they can't answer until the grand finale: How DO these 3 (or more??) realities tie together?

NSFW:
Desmond, who's been able to shift numerous times through alternate realities, seems to hold the key to this process.

What sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal, or metaphysics bookstore trope has Lost not used yet? Now we have the superhero who doesn't know his own power, brought against his will by a rich eccentric man to a test of his powers and a redefinition of his destiny. :)

Without a doubt, the three best actors in the series have been Terry O'Quinn, Nestor Carbonell and Michael Emerson.

I am very interested in seeing how this all ends.

i don't know what you guys are smoking but

its all about

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje !!!!

So much time has passed I can barely remember anything pre-Series 3 finale

ehh, i wish they did bring back mister echo. he was definitely the bomb. and anna lucia. even as a ghost for hurley or miles.

Didn't the actor playing Mister Eko want to get written off the show? He was a cool character, but there is no point bringing him back now. And man, Ana Lucia? Stereotypical angry Latina? Gag me. She was the most irritating character ever next to Paolo and his girlfriend. I was glad to see them go.

Didn't the actor playing Mister Eko want to get written off the show? He was a cool character, but there is no point bringing him back now. And man, Ana Lucia? Stereotypical angry Latina? Gag me. She was the most irritating character ever next to Paolo and his girlfriend. I was glad to see them go.

I agree with Finder, and so did most of the LOST fans. Ana Lucia was not a popular character. And though Mr. Eko WAS a popular character, again I agree with Finder, what point is there in reintroducing any characters at this point?

I hope they stick to Island happenings tonight; I know I am in the minority about hating the flash sideways scenes, but I have had about enough of them.

Just watched Across the Sea and I'm really not enjoying this season. Everything feels so rushed and false where as before everything had such a wonderful depth. Stupid bloopers are happening and it seems like the writers have just got a bit too arrogant, and are happy to churn out crap, thinking that cult watchers, like myself, will think just as highly of it, or perhaps their egos have inflated to a degree that means they care not what the viewers think.

Of the many things that have annoyed me this season, how about last week when Sayid 'sacrificed' himself...Could he not have thrown the bomb down the submarine corridor rather than running along and blowing himself to pieces? Or how about the fact that Sun and Jin just forgot about their son...Or how about back to this weeks episode, Lostpedia states that it took place in 1bc-30AD, alright, I can just about deal with the horrible american accents trying to attempt latin, or the obvious american accents in general at a time period in which they were obviously non-existant, I mean it certainly makes more effort casting characters with better voices, but how about the fact that at the start theyre in mud huts, with wooden spears etc and then in 30 years they have managed to smith iron swords and have proper tunneling systems, and have carved rock walls within a well?

Excuse the rantiness of the post, it's just annoying to see my favourite program conclude in such a shitty way, or at least in my opinion.

Just watched Across the Sea and I'm really not enjoying this season. Everything feels so rushed and false where as before everything had such a wonderful depth. Stupid bloopers are happening and it seems like the writers have just got a bit too arrogant, and are happy to churn out crap, thinking that cult watchers, like myself, will think just as highly of it, or perhaps their egos have inflated to a degree that means they care not what the viewers think.

Of the many things that have annoyed me this season, how about last week when Sayid 'sacrificed' himself...Could he not have thrown the bomb down the submarine corridor rather than running along and blowing himself to pieces? Or how about the fact that Sun and Jin just forgot about their son...Or how about back to this weeks episode, Lostpedia states that it took place in 1bc-30AD, alright, I can just about deal with the horrible american accents trying to attempt latin, or the obvious american accents in general at a time period in which they were obviously non-existant, I mean it certainly makes more effort casting characters with better voices, but how about the fact that at the start theyre in mud huts, with wooden spears etc and then in 30 years they have managed to smith iron swords and have proper tunneling systems, and have carved rock walls within a well?

Excuse the rantiness of the post, it's just annoying to see my favourite program conclude in such a shitty way, or at least in my opinion.

i can deal with little errors here and there, what I care about is the plot.. and as of right now I have no idea how the hell they could leave me satisfied with the series in only 2 episodes :\ we'll see

i can deal with little errors here and there, what I care about is the plot.. and as of right now I have no idea how the hell they could leave me satisfied with the series in only 2 episodes :\ we'll see

Agreed. I have no idea what the writers / creators / producers were thinking. Why did they waste all this time on the flash sideways scenarios? There is no possible ending that can make me think the flash sideways were worth doing.

Worst episode of all time, of any show anywhere in the world.

-Lost Fanatic of 6 years.

I'd say the finale put the series down painlessly. Hey, at least we got an ending at all. Didn't the show almost get canceled a few times? It gave me a feeling of closure to the show. I'm a sentimental bastard, and my wife and I have followed that show since it first aired, RIGHT when we started dating, so my appreciation for the ending was admittedly lowbrow.

NSFW:
The sets and special effects were cheesy at times -- I'm thinking specifically of the scene of Jack down the hole with the light. The stained glass windows with the many religious symbols was a little un-subtle for this show.

The problem is, we still don't know exactly what the island is, or how it came to be the way it is, and connected with our world.

I couldn't keep up after the first 1.5 yrs :\ I really wanted to pack in a weekend or two to catch up, and there is an outside chance I'll do that with all the DVDs at some point, but given what I've heard about the finale (didn't watch it myself)..
NSFW:
Really....a tv show? So, it's the old 'it was all a dream' copout, but without the stigma of that particular copout? Weaksauce, but as MDOA indicates, it was 'an ending' and it did put it down painlessly. Really, can any of you imagine trying to write your way out of that series?

Meh....I may watch it all when I have a weekend to kill. Then again, I've got a bajillion movies I've still got to watch as well, and while I know some of those will suck.....it may be better than the ending to Lost since I have an idea of what it is.

I couldn't keep up after the first 1.5 yrs :\ I really wanted to pack in a weekend or two to catch up, and there is an outside chance I'll do that with all the DVDs at some point, but given what I've heard about the finale (didn't watch it myself)..
NSFW:
Really....a tv show? So, it's the old 'it was all a dream' copout, but without the stigma of that particular copout? Weaksauce, but as MDOA indicates, it was 'an ending' and it did put it down painlessly. Really, can any of you imagine trying to write your way out of that series?

Meh....I may watch it all when I have a weekend to kill. Then again, I've got a bajillion movies I've still got to watch as well, and while I know some of those will suck.....it may be better than the ending to Lost since I have an idea of what it is.

No, it was not all a dream. Everything was real and happened.

It made no fucking sense whatesoever.

I thought it made sense.

NSFW:
Desmond and jack saved the Island, with Jack dying in the process. Presumably, Desmond is permitted to leave the island to be with his family, which is possible since Jacob is no longer in charge wit his restrictive "rules." Hurley and Ben went on to be caretakers of the island. Man in black was defeated. Richard became Mortal, which made him happy. Lapidus, Miles, Kate, Sawyer, Claire, and Richard left the Island and went on to live their lives off the island.

And then many years later when they all are eventually dead, their souls reconvene in the "flash sideways" reality so they can all "let go" and "move on" and once again be together.

What exactly is the problem?

What did people want out of the finale?

NSFW:
The producers have long said that there is only one timeline, and that the island reality was real, and there would be no cop-out such as "the island is a dream" or "they all died on the plane crash and this is an afterlife" or some bullshit like that. So, given that to be the case, I would say the ending they came up with is the only possible ending they COULD have come up with.

(Oh, and I didn't use nsfw spoiler prevention tags, because if you are reading this thread at this point without having watched the show, then you are a fucking idiot.)

EDIT: Okay, fine, I used them. But seriously, why would anyone be reading this thread without watching the episodes first????????

This is exactly how I feel, and I have the same theory. AMAZING series.

NSFW:
There is a lot left to interpretation, but not the ending.
EVERYTHING that happened on the island/off the island...seasons 1-6...truly happened! ...The flash sideways from this season is the place between their afterlife. They did not die in the original 815 crash. They did not die from the jughead explosion. Whenever they died, they died. They weren't all 'waiting' for others to die either. As Christian explained, there is no 'here'. There is no 'time'. It's just happening. Some could have died 5 years earlier, some 50 years later. That doesn't matter. It's where they all meet when they did die. Like Hurley and Ben who protected the island. They died much later, but are in the same 'time' as everyone in the afterlife.
We all assumed they were meeting their Constants to mesh the two realities. But they were actually meeting their Constants in order to realize and 'let go' and move on. If they were ready. Some were ready, others weren't. Penny was in the church also because Desmond was her Constant.

There are plenty of answers in all of Lost, it's just not all spelled out for you. I feel completely satisfied by the show and the ending.

The island is in place to keep evil or 'hell' from unleashing upon earth. Jacob brought candidates for thousands of years to the island to replace him. Since MIB couldn't kill them, he pitted them against each other...to kill themselves. Using the inherent 'evil' of man to destroy the chances of a candidate taking his place. So now the island survived..everyone dies when it is there time...and they move on. They find the happiest time in their lives as they were all 'lost' and troubled. Now they found love and joy and move on to the afterworld

Do not expect x+y=z answers. This is LOST. If you want endings were you do not have to think, play a computer game

This is exactly how I feel, and I have the same theory. AMAZING series.

NSFW:
There is a lot left to interpretation, but not the ending.
EVERYTHING that happened on the island/off the island...seasons 1-6...truly happened! ...The flash sideways from this season is the place between their afterlife. They did not die in the original 815 crash. They did not die from the jughead explosion. Whenever they died, they died. They weren't all 'waiting' for others to die either. As Christian explained, there is no 'here'. There is no 'time'. It's just happening. Some could have died 5 years earlier, some 50 years later. That doesn't matter. It's where they all meet when they did die. Like Hurley and Ben who protected the island. They died much later, but are in the same 'time' as everyone in the afterlife.
We all assumed they were meeting their Constants to mesh the two realities. But they were actually meeting their Constants in order to realize and 'let go' and move on. If they were ready. Some were ready, others weren't. Penny was in the church also because Desmond was her Constant.

There are plenty of answers in all of Lost, it's just not all spelled out for you. I feel completely satisfied by the show and the ending.

The island is in place to keep evil or 'hell' from unleashing upon earth. Jacob brought candidates for thousands of years to the island to replace him. Since MIB couldn't kill them, he pitted them against each other...to kill themselves. Using the inherent 'evil' of man to destroy the chances of a candidate taking his place. So now the island survived..everyone dies when it is there time...and they move on. They find the happiest time in their lives as they were all 'lost' and troubled. Now they found love and joy and move on to the afterworld

Do not expect x+y=z answers. This is LOST. If you want endings were you do not have to think, play a computer game

NSFW:
I agree. I have one minor complaint though. It isn't overly important, but, why couldn't man in black kill the candidates? Or Jacob? That wasn't really made clear. I understand that Jacob doesn't age, and that his touch "protected" the candidates; but the candidates could be killed by each other? That doesn't make a lot of sense. And Man in black cannot simply stab Jacob, but Ben can? Why does it matter who is holding the knife?

And if all it took to kill Jacob was for Man in Black to get someone else to stab Jacob, why did it take him hundreds of years to do it? Someone who can turn into black smoke and take the form of dead people should be able to manipulate someone into killing Jacob sooner than 150 years, or however many hundreds of years they were there.

And why was Man in Black unable to shape shift any more in the final season? Someone (I think Ilana) claimed that he could not, implying that he was "stuck" as Locke, but it wasn't really made clear why.