European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Too quick to ban

StoneHappyMonday

Bluelighter
I saw the post by [MENTION=374151]@SmokingAces for which he was banned.

Why is there no lee-way on this forum anymore?

Two years ago he wrote an outrageous post threatening, amongst other things, me. No cunt banned him for that. And nor should they have done.

What he wrote yesterday was tame in comparison. And yet he's banned. Like he knew he would be. Because he's an intelligent chap and can see the direction this forum is going (has been going for years).

By his own admission he's got problems. A few dead mates for one. When did we stop showing compassion and merely "having a word".

If you want to ban everyone from the forum with 'issues' then there will be no forum.

In the meantime you are allowing the 32nd alt of a racist psychopath on this forum.

Well played.

WTF? I saw no offensive post from him yesterday - a bit of a rant maybe, that's all. What gives?

You appear to have a problem with authority. Perhaps a week on the sideline will correct your attitude?

You appear to have a problem with authority. Perhaps a week on the sideline will correct your attitude?

Hahaha, well, y'know, a day on the sidelines is still a possibility because some CUNT in CEP, aka Cashflow Donkey, still has a point hanging over me because I dared to say to him "Are you having a laugh?"

YES I GOT A POINT FOR SAYING THAT.

Contrast with racist psychopaths on their 32nd alt (Hello Ciaran!) and you may, just may, only may, see why I get annoyed on others behalfs who have been banned for fuck all.

Oh please I got banned for a week for suggesting they had hammocks out the back of the corona factory. The funniest part was I was watching a Megafactories episode on the said factory at the time and they actually did have hammocks right next door to the staff football field.

In the meantime you are allowing the 32nd alt of a racist psychopath on this forum.
it's not being 'allowed'. it may have been overlooked. his alts. are banned on sight when we can make a match. if you have a problem with a specific user and/or suspect them of being an alt. of a permabanned user, report a post and we'll be happy to take a look.

alasdair

I doubt someone with authority issues is going to become a snitch Alisdair

While admiring your sentiments (I think) define 'authority issues'.

If you mean someone who hits coppers back in retaliation. Guilty.

However, if you knew what I do for a living, and how others might see that as an authority figure, you might have a giggle. Authority is not about exerting power. It's about exerting respect. So things go smoothly. And that's exactly what I do for a living.

I live by my own rule set so I'm not really one to give two shits when someone tries to tell me what to do.

This is a fucking Internet forum, suck it up and find somewhere else to waste your time until your ban lifts. Having a sook about not being able to access your Inbox is sad and pathetic.

this isn't about snitching. suggesting that we're 'allowing' an alt. is simply inaccurate. if the alt. is reported, we'll take a look. pretty straightforward.

alasdair

Don't kid yourself that the report button isn't one big snitch-a-thon for children who can't fight their own battles

I live by my own rule set so I'm not really one to give two shits when someone tries to tell me what to do.

This is a fucking Internet forum, suck it up and find somewhere else to waste your time until your ban lifts. Having a sook about not being able to access your Inbox is sad and pathetic.

Apart from the first line I literally have no fucking idea what you are talking about. No change there then.

You could tell he'd probably been on the meph and was just a stressed out young dude trying to express himself. I wouldn't have banned him for that post back when I had a stick.

This forum has changed and always will depending on drug trends / types of users signing up. And I can't say it's really gotten for the better since the early 2000s....oh well.

I think SHM and I should start our own forum.

It's hard to know what to do with threads like this. We never get into specifics about any disciplinary actions taken because we just don't - in the vast majority of cases people probably don't want their dirty laundry aired in public and we also can't make exceptions because then everybody becomes an exception. There has occasionally been talk in the staff forums about making all staff discussion viewable by members. As that isn't currently the case we always come back to the problem of not being able to discuss decisions we have made.

I'd be pretty sure there is good and bad on all sides under the existing closed system and other, more open possible approaches to moderating a forum. As things are, staff mainly have to justify their actions to other staff members. Depending on the situation that could mean fellow forum mods, smods, admin - or in some cases it could be any staff member from any part of BL who wishes to chime in with their thoughts. I certainly wouldn't claim there is zero incidence of circle-jerkery because there is, always has been and almost certainly always will be - that's just the nature (broadly speaking) of people working together I suppose. I would also say with complete honesty that that is by no means the whole story. Decisions are challenged - and often pretty frikkin forcefully - and cases have to be properly made when a particular decision or action is controversial.

On the downside there is very little transparency which will inevitably lead to suspicions and confusion as comparatively few people can see the bigger picture. Even with access to context and relevant background material there's still the problem of staff simply not being able to know all the ins and outs of every member's personal circumstance and situation. We do take whatever we do know into account when making any decisions though. They are never taken lightly and are always open for review. Anybody who disagrees with a mod decisions can appeal it by contacting the admin team email.

If discussion here is on general matters of approaches to modding, discipline and related matters then it is useful and with practical value. Individual cases are not up for discussion so other than general venting it won't be of much actual benefit because we can't get into specifics. If folk wish to make the case for more transparency that too is relevant and potentially useful - moderation obviously works best through consent. Personally I think we get the balance right more than we get it wrong. We do get it wrong too though and anything that can help to minimise that is always welcome.

Surely if there is an overwhelming feeling of heavy handness you should take heed? Why should a minority dictate and change the ethos of a forum that affects the majority?

One less regular poster then. Barely any left now. I thought we were trying to liven things up in here? Banning the long term user base isn't a great way of going about it.

Nothing lasts forever, especially good things and I expect its down to cunts like me that have turned what was once a utopia of free expression into the last thing a can aspire to treat as a serious website. But unfortunately for EADD Its also the only forum that attracts the sort of characters I identify with, as although I am by no means anti American I have never got my head around people that spend hours discussing specific recepies of health supplements for pre or post loading during the month before and after you take half a pill. I know that their should be a focus on HR but it doesn't mean that the site is a health farm for people who still take drugs that are inherently bad for your health, to a lesser or greater extent. Whether this is actually a fact or not, I have read quotes from third parties that describe BlueLight as the biggest drug discussion forum on the web, so that its now grown well beyond the long time posters (I may have ony been posting on here for 5 minutes but since 2004 I ave used the site as my man source of drug information, as despite the value of Erowid, the content on here paints the most accurate and up to date drug trends, the newest drugs on the 'street' (although I'm probably the last person who frequents that most traditional of marketplaces as I can't even contribute to heroin tread anymore, as aside from the fact that Iam making the last concerted effort I will be capable if making to disengage with the stuff, since 2010 I was happy enough to find actual heroin so as long as its the real deal, the market will never recover to pre 2010 standards, and I'm just happy to be able to go out knowing that I will more than likely return with something that works, and the dicksizing about the no 4 hydrochloride products that the 'pros' get off the darknet is above my station, for someone who has nevr used anything but brown heroin base from the GC. When a junkie has no place or reason to be in the heroin thread that actually started me posting, its time to assess what I can actually bring to EADD at this stage. I regret the trouble I caused yesterday by suggesting that the BLUA is something that people should consider taking a little more seriously, not just to keep the site from attracting criticism from other interet users and thse who are fanatically anti drug use, but to prevent threads from getting closed when they get to close and did eventually go over the mark regarding a subject that Bluelight does not see itself as an tool for enabling that sort of practise, It's because I hate it when the mods have to issue infractions or close threads, and despite being done in what I belive was in the best sprit of intent, I made such a pigs ear of it that it obviously pissed off the member so much that what ever straw broke the camels bak, it was my attempt at preventing an infraction that was the root cause of one being issued, so although I can't help it when someone returns to the board after a long absence to find the forum different, either I stick to my guns and remain consistent regarding my posts as a member, or I have to consider moving on which is difficult when there is nowhere else to go.

In the last year I have stuck my neck out as far as I can as this is the only context in which I can wth total honesty. Although most oeople have a life, there a coulple of us that don't at present, which makes this place somewhat of a sanctuary, but although I can hardy expect to be tolerated by everyone, it often feels like I am an alien in what is already an alternative society.All I can do is continue to try and develop what I aspire to be the most balanced approach possible and if I take the sites remit too seriously when I I'm told I shouldn't give a shit about the place as providing a valuable resource and treat it as a a free for all that is of no real consequence, I have to plant my flag somewhere as although I binge on the site a few times a week, I don't live on here from dawn until dusk (in fact dawn and dusk are the only times when I have the oeace and quiet to compose what I try make posts that have some prior consideration) and while I cant expect to be particulary liked, I can live with that as long as I don't make enemies, as there are enough forums (both physical and online) where I can do that.

Ive done enough damage for one week so ill give everyone a rest for a few days while I relect on further ways to bring something to the place, but while Its a personal problem that to anyone else seems to think I blow these issues out of proportion, its these issues that I consider first and always have done (despite the odd episode of infantile behaviour) as I have beneftted from the comtent om this site more than you can imagine and its frustrating when you can't offer anything in return.

Ok that's the self pity purged until next week now, so stay tuned for the next episode of 'Woe is me',as Netflicks weren't interested.

When you fuck up being a fuck up,it makes yoi feel like you have fucuked up big time.

Fin

While admiring your sentiments (I think) define 'authority issues'.

If you mean someone who hits coppers back in retaliation. Guilty.

However, if you knew what I do for a living, and how others might see that as an authority figure, you might have a giggle. Authority is not about exerting power. It's about exerting respect. So things go smoothly. And that's exactly what I do for a living.

<3