European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Recipe Thread (EADD Version)

Spring rolls (with diagrams)

Pan-Asian Spring Rolls

This is my own recipe and isn't strictly Thai, Chinese, Cantonese or anything. It's a bit of a mix really - hence the "Pan-Asian". They taste almost as good as my diagrams are awesome.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
1 inch of ginger, chopped finely
1 large carrot, turned into matchstick slices
400g of beansprouts
1 pinch of salt
White pepper
Nam Pla Fish Sauce
Knor Chicken Powder
Shao Hsing Rice Wine
Frozen, pre-cooked shrimps (about 200g, but add more if necessary)
Frozen, pre-cooked char-sui pork (more the merrier), thinly sliced into matchsticks
8 spring onions, initially chopped into 1 inch lengths, then sliced into matchsticks (keep the floppy green leaves seperate from the whiter-looking stems).
Glass noodles (about a handful)
80-100g Coriander, roughly chopped (stems too)
Thai basil (small handful to taste)
Spring roll pastry (pack of 40)

Optional:
A couple of very finely sliced Kaffir lime leaves

Preparation:
Defrost the pork
Defrost the prawns
Soak the glass noodles as per the packet instructions. Make sure you dry them thoroughly.
Wash the beansprouts. Make sure you dry them thoroughly - this is essential.

Stir-fry mix:
Fry the GINGER in the SUNFLOWER OIL for 15 seconds, before quickly tossing the GARLIC in as well for a further 10 seconds. Don't allow them to burn. Throw in your matchsticked CARROT (and optional LIME LEAVES) and stir-fry for a minute or so - as long as it takes for the carrot to lose its rigidity. Now throw in your BEANSPROUTS and ensure that they're well mixed. Now you need to season the mix. Add a pinch of SALT, a couple of shakes of WHITE PEPPER, a couple of shakes of NAM PLA FISH SAUCE, half a teaspoon of CHICKEN POWDER and a cap-full of SHAO HSING RICE WINE.

As soon as the beansprouts start to lose their rigidity, chuck in your SHRIMPS, the CHAR SUI ROAST PORK, the matchsticked WHITE SPRING ONION stems and the GLASS NOODLES. Keep turning the mix over to ensure that it's well distributed. The ingredients should still have some bite to them. You don't want to completely cook everything, or it'll be naff to eat once the rolls are fried.

Chuck everything out of the wok and onto a plate or (preferably) a baking tray to cool for 20 minutes. When cool, throw in the sliced GREEN SPRING ONION leaves along with your CORIANDER leaves (and the stems). Add your THAI BASIL as well. I recommend you add it in stages, mix it into the cool stir-fry, taste, and add more if necessary.

Making the rolls:
Take a sheet of SPRING ROLL PASTRY and lay it diagonally in front of you (it should look like a diamond, rather than a square). Put a couple of spoons-worth of mix on it (Fig 1) and fold over the bottom corner (Fig 2). Don't worry about getting the 'right' amount of mix, because the first one you make will look like cack anyway. Roll it forward slightly (Fig 3), then tuck in one of the sides (Fig 4). Roll forward slightly again (Fig 5), then tuck in the other side (Fig 6) and roll forward (Fig 7). At this point, dab the inside of the remaining triangle of pastry lip with some FLOUR-WATER MIX. Roll forward to seal the spring roll. Add extra flour-water mix to any obvious potential leakage points.

squarey.png

Cooking:
Deep fry the spring rolls for about 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Do the second deep-fry when you're ready. This is necessary to make them crispy and yum. You can also freeze them after the first fry and oven-bake them at a later date.

Serve with sweet chili sauce, Japanese mayo or a lime/lemongrass vinegar.

ok then heres mine: Spuds Ultimate Veg Lasagne

you will need:

box of lasagne
3x courgettes
2x aubergines
punnet of mushrooms
passata (or crushed/seived tomatos)
clove of garlic
basil and oregano
salt and pepper
jar of bechemel sauce (you could make your own but im too lazy for that!)
olive oil
butter
cheese for topping

just a side note again im a lazy person so i use passata with the herbs, garlic and seasonings added, if youre doing it the traditional way cook up your tomato sauce first, and you may notice that there is no onion in the recipe, thats because i HATE onions, if you like them you can put them in

slice the courgettes aubergines and tomatos

either fry or chargrill the aubergine slices in olive oil and place them on some kitchen roll

fry the courgettes and mushrooms in butter and place them on a bit of kitchen roll too

get a big dish, put a layer of mixed courgette, aubergine and mushroom slices on the base, once youve done that pour over some passata then add a layer of lasagne slices to cover it, repeat this till you run out of veg and finish with a final layer of lasagne sheets. now pour over the bechemel sauce and top with the cheeses of your choice (i use parmasan and mozzerella)

now whack it into a pre heaed oven at about 200c for half an hour or so, stab a knife through the middle to check your pasta sheets are cooked through before removing from the oven.

I found this recipe and fancy trying it though I've never had much success with tofu before.

Full of Goodness Broth

ingredients:
1-2 tbsp red thai curry paste
200ml reduced fat coconut milk
600ml hot vegetable stock
200g cubed smoked tofu
2 pak choi, chopped
2 handfuls sugarsnap peas
4 spring onions, chopped
Lime to squeeze

method:
1. Heat the curry paste for 1-2 mins. Add the coconut milk and hot stock - bring to the boil.
2. Add the tofu, pak choi, sugarsnaps and spring onions. Simmer for 2 mins. Serve instantly with a squeeze of lime.

SALTFISH AND ACKEE WITH CALLALOO AND FRIED PLANTAIN: (serves 3-4)

pr0n.jpg

This is really nice and healthy, plus really filling too. :)

OK, so I was following tips from two work mates yesterday, one is Jamaican, one is African (it's a common dish in both countries, but they vary a bit). Plus I was also scouring the net for even more tips on the best methods etc. Most of the time goes into the prep, as cooking time is like 15-20 mins max. Anyway, this is the result.

INGREDIENTS (for the saltfish and ackee):
*3 tbsp of oil
*1 can of ackee, drained (I used a big can)
*1 pack of saltfish (most of which is dried cod that needs to be soaked overnight. I used dried pollack which only needed to be soaked for 2-4 hours, then brought to the boil. Roughly 4 fillets)
*2 onions, sliced
*a sprinkle of dried thyme
*1 small tomato, chopped
*a small piece of Scotch Bonnet pepper, or whatever chilli you prefer, sliced
*a good squeeze of tomato paste
*red or green pepper, chopped
*black pepper, to taste

1)Prep your fish according to the instructions on the pack
2)Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions, thyme, chilli, tomato, tomato paste, and peppers and stir for a few mins. Add fish (which has been broken up into medium sized chunks). Simmer for 5 mins, and then add your can of drained ackee. DO NOT stir because this will cause the ackee to break up (just gently shake the pan around so it heats up evenly). Cook for a few more mins then season with black pepper.

INGREDIENTS (for the callaloo):
*a few tbsps of oil
*1 can of callaloo (I used a small can)
*1 large onion, chopped
*2 plum tomatoes, chopped
*1 tbsp of salt

TIP: You should start cooking this around the time you put the ackee into the other mix. This doesn't take any time at all. Also start cooking the plantain at this point too.

1)Saute the onion and tomato until onions are soft. Don't burn the onions. Open the can of callaloo and pour the brine off and rinse.
2)Add callaloo to the onions and tomatoes and fold together. Let simmer on a medium - low heat for another 3 mins. You literally just need to warm it through.
3)Add the salt and stir.

For the FRIED PLANTAIN you'll need:
*1 yellow plantain, sliced (don't go for the green ones, they're too starchy. The yellow ones are nice and sweet)
*large frying pan
*enough oil to cover the plantain about halfway

1)Heat oil for a few mins on a medium heat.
2)Place sliced plantain in pan until very golden
3)Turn over and repeat process
4)Remove from pan and drain on kitchen towel

How to cook it properly!

This has never ever failed me.

Basmati rice - as much as you feel is needed

Ok
Step 1 - Wash the rice repeatedly until no more cloudy water comes off it when immersed in fresh water.

Step2 - have to hand a fuck off big pot of boiling water + a spoonful of salt if desired - the more water the better - at least a pint per serving/cup of rice ( yes there will be excess water at the finish)

Step3 - Steep the washed rice in hot water for a minute & bring the pot of water to a rolling boil.

Step 4 - Add the rice ( carefully) to the pot of water + set a timer for six minutes.

Step5 - The timer rings :D - immediately switch off the rice + water & strain through a colander .

Step6 - Rinse the rice ( in the colander) thoroughly with clean cold water until cold.

Step7 - Serving - reheat in a microwave or simply stand in boiling water & strain water off after a minute.

That's it. Simple & it works.

Note other strains of rice may have different cooking times.

Experiment with them! :)

Worked a treat mate, nice one!!:)

Sausage, bacon and guinness casserole

At the request of shambles in the gibberings thread, the recipe for the sausage, bacon and guinness casserole I made today.

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
8 pork sausages
1 large red onion
1 celery stick chopped
6 rashers smoked bacon
3 tbsp tomato puree
330ml bottle guinness
150ml beef stock
100ml water
7 chestnut mushrooms cut in quarters
2 small carrots dhopped
1/4 aubergine
butter

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large casserole/deep wide frying pan. Add sausages and cook till browned for about 6 or 7 minutes. Then remove the sausage and set aside.

2. Add some butter, the onions, aubergine, celery and bacon to the pan and cook while stirring for about 6 minutes.

3. Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute.

4. Pour in the Guinness, bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes until reduced, add the carrot.

5. Add the stock and the water and bring back to the boil.

6. Return the sausages and add the mushrooms

7. Simmer for 5 or 6 minutes while stirring. Season to taste, I added some cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne chilli pepper spices.

Tasted really nice the last time I made it. Will be a perfect amount for two hungry people. Will be eating it tonight after reheating it. Can also be frozen if you make too much. Reheat it in a pan for about 10 minutes.

Have just put it in the freezer tonight and will be eating the cottag pie instead. Here is a picture just before I put it in the freezer.

2vcg5e8.jpg

Last edited:
i'll be passing this recipe on to my personal chef

which guiness did you use? original/draught ?

Just did some more cooking, made a potatoless cottage pie

Ingredients

500g lean beef steak mince
tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves (or a squirt of garlic puree)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes (chopped fresh tomatoes can be used instead.
250ml of beef stock
tbsp olive oil
2 leeks
1 large or 2 small parsnips
2 medium carrots
cheddar cheese

Method

- dry fry the mince in a big pan and then set aside
- add olive oil to pan and fry onion on a medium heat for 5 mins
- add garlic and fry for a minute more
- Add tinned tomatoes and bring up to boil, then reduce back to a simmer and thicken for 5 mins, stirring occassionally
- Return the beef to the pan, with the Worcestershire sauce and the hot stock
- Bring back up to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
- While that is simmering, peel and chop the leeks, peel and grate the carrot and peel and grate the parsnip.
- Heat olive oil in a separate pan and fry the leek for 2-3 mins. Add the grated carrot and parsnip and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 mins more.
- Put the beef mince mix in an oven proof dish. Top with the grated veg mix and then sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Oven bake for 30 mins until the top is crispy.

Just had a couple of fork fulls and it is really lovely :) Really like the carrot/parsnip topping instead of the mash.

I'd have went for the potato, carrot and parsnip mash my self.

Think I'll cook the chorizo sausages with some rice and veggies.

Well tonight I made a chicken 'stew' kind of meal.

Couple of handfuls of shallots
A few onions cut into half moon shapes
A few florettes of Broccoli
A box of button mushrooms
A pepper cut into the same shape as the onions
Then a couple table spoons of mash boos (basically red pepper, garlic, chilly and ginger paste,)
Four chicken breasts trimmed and cut into strips
A punnet of cherry toms
Extra garlic n chilly to taste
Olive oil and lemon juice
Salt n pepper
Chucked it all into a pyrex dish and stuck in the oven for 40 mins until all cooked.

Served it over turmeric basmati rice :)

Last edited:
Sounds tasty, did you have any joy finding Vietnamese beer? Haven't seen any in the UK. Even in Vietnam there doesn't even seem to be one dominant brand, different parts of the country, or specific cities have their own

I got thai beer because I couldn't be arsed to go somewhere more exciting than the supermarket.