the official debate thread: no holds barred-> which genre sux/rules?

I personally have learned to respect and love all forms of music and I agree w/ DJ Sean_paul...It's all connected......"see the lines"

Oh, right.. sorry kyk.
Care to entertian with some more samples of your lyrcal powers?
Jay
------------------
"Roads, where we're going we don't need any roads."
"All your K are belong to Jay"

Oh, right.. sorry kyk.
Care to entertian with some more samples of your lyrcal powers?
Jay
------------------
"Roads, where we're going we don't need any roads."
"All your K are belong to Jay"

Re: Blagsta-->
The focus in trance is, to me, less on the rhythm and more on the melody / atmosphere. It's all about the mood. As predictable as the chord progressions may be (and/or repetitious), consider chord progressions in ANY genre of music. There are certain series that work to establish certain moods. I will concede that there are some cheesy trance tracks out there (i unfortunately wasted money on a few) but what about the works of BT (Godspeed, Flaming June, etc.), Paul Van Dyk (Riddle, Forbidden Fruit, etc.), Sasha (Xpander, Rabbitweed, etc.), Space Girl (Ecstasy, Something For your Mind, etc.) and many other of the trance artists out there (yes, even the mainstreamed ones). Have you ever tried to compose a trance track (in rebirth, cubase, on a keyboard, etc?) There's a lot of thought and care that goes into the precision of note and rhythm placement. The beat structures are kept relatively simple because complexity is generally unnecessary. There's something to be said about overdoing rhythm sequences :p I won't comment about the euhporic chords getting on your tits, that's a matter of preference :p
Also it (generally ) has no basslines...are we talking about the same trance? Name me a few trance songs that feature no basslines...what epitomizes "trance" for you? I mean, is your exposure to trance diverse enough to warrant your vague blanket-statements? Would it be fair for me to say that I dislike house because all the songs are about "ass and titties," even though I would only be referring to one or two particular sub-genre(s)? (I do actually like house...booty house i can do without, tho
wink.gif
)
Shit there are some varities of trance i don't particularly like (some goa...some ambient stuff...etc.) but that doesn't mean i throw the baby out with the bathwater...
------------------
cheers,
amh

Re: Blagsta-->
The focus in trance is, to me, less on the rhythm and more on the melody / atmosphere. It's all about the mood. As predictable as the chord progressions may be (and/or repetitious), consider chord progressions in ANY genre of music. There are certain series that work to establish certain moods. I will concede that there are some cheesy trance tracks out there (i unfortunately wasted money on a few) but what about the works of BT (Godspeed, Flaming June, etc.), Paul Van Dyk (Riddle, Forbidden Fruit, etc.), Sasha (Xpander, Rabbitweed, etc.), Space Girl (Ecstasy, Something For your Mind, etc.) and many other of the trance artists out there (yes, even the mainstreamed ones). Have you ever tried to compose a trance track (in rebirth, cubase, on a keyboard, etc?) There's a lot of thought and care that goes into the precision of note and rhythm placement. The beat structures are kept relatively simple because complexity is generally unnecessary. There's something to be said about overdoing rhythm sequences :p I won't comment about the euhporic chords getting on your tits, that's a matter of preference :p
Also it (generally ) has no basslines...are we talking about the same trance? Name me a few trance songs that feature no basslines...what epitomizes "trance" for you? I mean, is your exposure to trance diverse enough to warrant your vague blanket-statements? Would it be fair for me to say that I dislike house because all the songs are about "ass and titties," even though I would only be referring to one or two particular sub-genre(s)? (I do actually like house...booty house i can do without, tho
wink.gif
)
Shit there are some varities of trance i don't particularly like (some goa...some ambient stuff...etc.) but that doesn't mean i throw the baby out with the bathwater...
------------------
cheers,
amh

oops....sorry for the freakin multipost...
all electronica is awesome...even garage...i can't understand the haters..but i guess everyone has their own opinion..as for me everything has merit, all genres,sub-genres,sub-sub genres rule!

happy hardcore is for twats, i'm so gald it died in the uk years ago,oh yeah and heavy drum and bass rules, with prog house coming a close second.
------------------
Wicked Mate!!!

Ok, my 2 cents
music is what you make of it
if someone gets off on listening to a jackhammer rip through pavement, then more power to 'em!
but, in my own personal opinion of what *I* like:
Happy Hardcore sucks goat balls
You know the person in your life who's just WAYYYY too cheerful for their own good?? The person you just want to stab in the heart with a sharp object because they're always telling you to "look on the bright side"??
Imagine if they talked REALLY fast and in a REALLY high-pitched voice...it'd make you try to claw your own ears off your skull.
That's kinda what happy hardcore does to me...
Now, Hard House (specificially UK hard house & NRG) kicks serious ass.
It's a FACT that just about everything that comes out of the UK is light years better than their US counterparts...and hard house is no exception
It's *intelligent* aggressive techno.
I LOVE watching people dance to NRG...especially girls.
They get SO into it...and move their bodies in ways i didn't think was possible
Viva Le Hard House!!

The only genre I think sucks is booty house/disco
I'm not a real house fan, but I love hard house to death!!!
Everything else makes me feel like liquid water, if you know how that feels>>??
whaterver [eace
------------------
X
"Cause I need some boom- hit the walls, break the windows, shake the room- and vibrate the floor."
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
AIM NAME: spazilator
---*P*L*U*R*---