• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the NBA playoffs

Yeah and that all star is on the bench......Jameer Nelson LOL...

that was exactly my point. the Blue and White are multi-talented, but they almost lost to an impotent Boston team that the Cleveland Cavaliers would have smoked (due to KG's absence).

Orlando will be just like what Boston is now - one player away from being a true championship caliber team.

True so are you saying that when Jameer Nelson is back next year they will be more of a contender than they are now?I don't want to curse my team but we've been in a little bit of a slump since the last 6 games of the regular season to almost now. The real Magic started playing sometime around game 6 of the Boston series. I've mentioned my thoughts of there inconsistensy before in this thread, but i hope that we have put this behind us. Lets not forget Dwight Howard is still very very young, and so are the rest of the magic. JJ Reddick was one of the best shooters in all of college basketball, and this is only his second year of trying to get his NBA legs under him. Rashard Lewis has proven that he is deadly from beyond the arch, and can drive you to the hole. Hedo Turkoglu has been streaky but as far as clutch you've got to give it to him. In game 6 he had missed all his three point shots all night, but when the game was on the line he stepped up no hesitation and buried a 3 to maintain orlandos lead over boston. Dont get me started on the bench. Courtney Lee was a starter until dwight howard dropped the peoples elbow on his face in a playoff game against philly, but he was one of our best producers in games 1-3 of the philly series. Martin Gordtat has put in BIG minutes filling in for dwight howard, even carrying the team without howard after yet another elbow from howard that got him suspended. Lets also not forget through two playoff games we had players suspended. The magic have played there asses off and deserve to be where they are right now. Id take the magic full strength vs boston full strength any day of the week. I guess my little rant here is to say i think orlando HAS what it takes to win it all right now, even though they are short handed. I guess im just trying to say that I believe in magic.

Last edited:
you should believe in the Magic, they are your team and they have gotten you this deep in the playoffs by beating a competitive Boston Celtics team. however, Orlando relied on their deep ball too much for the win.

above all, I don't think that they can with a Championship this year because of their foul shot percentage. isn't their percentage of made foul shots one of the worst in the league?

and you are right, I am saying that when they have Jameer Nelson in their lineup they have more of a chance. anytime you are missing an All-Star is a bad time, unless you are Yao Ming or Allen Iverson, to the Houston Rockets and the Detroit Pistons, respectively.

:) Yeah it really sucked when we lost Jameer for the year as he was on his way to an all star season, but I feel that Rafer Austin had done a decent job. He's no Jameer but hes gotten the job done. We will see how the cards play out, but I am very happy with my team this year, and they have come a very long way since getting swept by detroit last year in round two.

I think Cavs & Magic will be good match up.

Cavs should squeak by.

And I think my Lakers are gonna steamroll Denver. Kobe likes to play the other stars hard.

The way I see it is if the Lakers take out the Nuggets in a strong fashion, say 5, maybe 6 games tops, they can and probably will win it all.
If they have to go to 7 games, I don't know if they'll have enough momentum to contend with the Cavaliers. However, they do have finals experience, and the Magic could take the Cavs to a long series as well. The Cavs aren't going to sweep this round.
Finally, the Kobe-Pau tandem is a force to be reckoned with. As are several other Lakers (Ariza is on fire right now).

ex-Lakers GM Jerry West just announced the other day that LeBron James was a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant.

this must be a tough pill to swallow coming from the guy who is the much heralded architect of every single Laker team you Lakers fans have probably seen, and the guy who brought Bryant in himself, nonetheless.

thoughts on this? source = http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4178437

Finally, the Kobe-Pau tandem is a force to be reckoned with. As are several other Lakers (Ariza is on fire right now).

change of subject, I agree. Pau Gasol is so good I hate him for being good. does anybody else notice that when he is slacking, it seems like his whole team follows suit and becomes lethargic?

during that Houston Game 7 he really dominated the boards and played solid defense. of course Bynum was a factor, but I think Gasol is twenty times more a factor.

ex-Lakers GM Jerry West just announced the other day that LeBron James was a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant.

(1) As an EX-Laker executive, he's clearly NOT unbiased;

(2) Even WITH his likely bias, he STILL conceded that in the closing moments of an important play-off/Finals game, he would trust Kobe over LeBron.

(3) So far, in five full seasons, LeBron James' teams have won as many NBA Finals *GAMES* as has an aborted fetus.

Keep hating on Kobe.

The Kobe-MJ debate will be interesting for years to come.

LeBron hasn't yet proven he's one of the twenty best players ever yet.

Not saying he won't ever be - but comparing his accomplishments to Kobe's at this point is downright laughable.

(1) As an EX-Laker executive, he's clearly NOT unbiased;

(2) Even WITH his likely bias, he STILL conceded that in the closing moments of an important play-off/Finals game, he would trust Kobe over LeBron.

(3) So far, in five full seasons, LeBron James' teams have won as many NBA Finals *GAMES* as has an aborted fetus.

Keep hating on Kobe.

The Kobe-MJ debate will be interesting for years to come.

LeBron hasn't yet proven he's one of the twenty best players ever yet.

Not saying he won't ever be - but comparing his accomplishments to Kobe's at this point is downright laughable.

how is it laughable? i'd say it's legitimate and FAR from laughable. you may not agree that LBJ is as good as kobe, but you can't honestly deny that lebron james is in the same vicinity as kobe bryant. i just don't see how being able to hit the shots in the closing moments automatically makes kobe SO MUCH BETTER than lebron when lebron has the ability to dictate the pace of a game every bit as much as kobe bryant does.

i understand that winning a championship is the ultimate goal, but there ARE great players in sports that haven't won championships or at least haven't won one in 10 or more years. after all it IS a team sport not an individual sport and one player alone can't win a championship.

if you want to compare individual career averages, lebron leads in field goal %, rebounds per game, assists per game, blocks per game, and points per game. lebron was the youngest player ever to: record 10,000 career points (and everything from 1,000-12,000 for that matter), record a triple double, score 30 points in a game, score 40 points in a game, score 50 points in a game, score 2,000 points in a season, record 30 PPG for a season, be named the all star game MVP, and be named rookie of the year.

and while all that still doesn't mean he's better than kobe necessarily, how can you say it's laughable to compare his accomplishments to kobe?

SO....uhhhm about the magic now? We played a MONSTEr game and counteracted an almost 50 point performance by lebron james........Tonight we put cleveland into a spot theyre not used to being in....Get used to it cleveland fans....Rashard lewis stepped up big and hit the game winner....

He has ZERO Finals WINS.

I'm not talking titles.

I'm saying that the ONE time the Cavs made the Finals, they got their doors blown off 4-0 by about 20 points a game.

Kobe, on the other hand, was a HUGE reason that the 2000-2002 Lakers were one of the only teams in recent sports history to three-peat, and nearly notched a fourth title last season.

And Kobe's only 30 years old - he has PLENTY more opportunities to challenge MJ's 6 titles in his career.

The Lakers brass thought SOOOOOOOOO highly of Kobe three years ago, that EVEN THOUGH HE'S AN ASSHOLE, there were willing to part with Shaq, one of the greatest centers EVER *AND* one of the greatest coaches EVER, Phil Jackson, just to keep Kobe.

You think Cleveland would give up Red Auerbach AND Hakeem Olujuwon in his prime to keep nail-biting LeBron?

fuckin' magic!

that was awesome...

that jump ball shot was a little too close for comfort...but seeing as they already had that miraculous 3 right before the half-time buzzer, it seemed their luck had run out!

first, the shot clock got owned, then...

:D

He has ZERO Finals WINS.

I'm not talking titles.

I'm saying that the ONE time the Cavs made the Finals, they got their doors blown off 4-0 by about 20 points a game.

Kobe, on the other hand, was a HUGE reason that the 2000-2002 Lakers were one of the only teams in recent sports history to three-peat, and nearly notched a fourth title last season.

And Kobe's only 30 years old - he has PLENTY more opportunities to challenge MJ's 6 titles in his career.

The Lakers brass thought SOOOOOOOOO highly of Kobe three years ago, that EVEN THOUGH HE'S AN ASSHOLE, there were willing to part with Shaq, one of the greatest centers EVER *AND* one of the greatest coaches EVER, Phil Jackson, just to keep Kobe.

You think Cleveland would give up Red Auerbach AND Hakeem Olujuwon in his prime to keep nail-biting LeBron?

i understand what you're saying, believe me i do. and i know you're a die hard lakers/kobe fan so your opinion will be just as biased as my cavs/lebron fandom. it is what it is. but the fact is, you can't honestly deny that LBJ's accomplishments SO FAR do in fact begin to compete with kobe. kobe's been in the league 12 full years and has 3 rings. lebron's been in the league 5 full years and yes has 0 rings, but should they win this year. that's one in 6 years. do you really think with a franchise who's willing to build around lebron that we won't get more chances should he stay here (and yes... he IS saying he'll be staying here... not going to NY or NJ despite popular belief).

the cavs have been playing some amazing ball this season. they intend to bring in chris bosh in the 2010-2011 season... all parties involved. bosh, lebron, and the cavs organization are interested in this and bosh himself has expressed huge interest. now that cleveland has begun to build a team AROUND lebron... lebron has come out and said that cleveland is the best fit for him and he intends to win multiple championships here.

now the point of mentioning all that is that we'll be an even more dominant team than we were this season! we'll be a team that's ready to hang. perennial no shows in the finals won't happen. the cav's are building a powerhouse team with a solid foundation as we speak.

but still... i'm saying... can you HONESTLY say that lebron's accomplishments are laughable in comparison to kobe? be honest, man. all bias aside. we're talking individual performance.

oh and yes, they got their doors blown off 4-0, but the team this year is much different than the team that year. dynamics are different, the chemistry is different, the ability to work AS A TEAM is different. and hell... the make up of the glue that holds the squad together... is different. point being... 1 finals... swept... fuck it... that won't happen this year.

The Cavs are currently 1-4 in games THIS SEASON against Orlando and the Lakers - two of the losses were blowouts, another was with Kobe playing with the flu, and their ONLY win came in OT.

Could it be that LeBron and a cohesive bunch of role players were good enough, when trying their hardest, to demolish all of the scrubby teams in the NBA, but aren't quite talented enough to do the same to Orlando, or to Los Angeles, as they have NO answer for the Top Three of each of those two superior (talent-wise) teams?

Or are you gonna remain stubborn and contribute to the public's collective thinking that LeBron plus a bunch of well-behaved cohesive-playing scrubs are unbeatable, and to the thinking that, in a week or two, when LeBron eventually chokes AGAIN in an important play-off series, that this "unbelieveable" Cavs loss will be considered 'The Biggest 'Upset' In The NBA Play-Offs Since 2004?"

oh and yes, they got their doors blown off 4-0, but the team this year is much different than the team that year. dynamics are different, the chemistry is different, the ability to work AS A TEAM is different. and hell... the make up of the glue that holds the squad together... is different. point being... 1 finals... swept... fuck it... that won't happen this year.

First you have to make it to the finals......