• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the NBA playoffs

Wowzers. Maybe Lebron doesn't like taking those last second shots, but that was a real humdinger. He's starting to creep on Kobe. I don't think even the biggest Kobe apologists can deny that for much longer.

After having watched Kobe Bryant for basically his entire career, I no longer believe you can make the case he's in the same league as Michael Jordan. Is he better than Lebron? I don't know. That's one of those stupid arguments like Kirk vs. Picard. I'm not even going to weigh in on it.

I'll tell you one thing though. Lebron's teammates genuinely love the guy. I don't think you should dismiss that fact - it's important, because they'll play hard for him and go to bat for him. And Kobe's teammates I think genuinely fucking hate him. As big of a Kobe fan as I am, he is a big whiny arrogant asshole who constantly complains and as soon as he passes the ball he will immediately demand it back which is very weird... that kinda shit is not going to endear him to people. Maybe that is why you're seeing such inconsistency from the Lakers; it sometimes seems like they don't really like each other. Bill Simmons, who I think is a dingbat, said that all the "camaraderie" of the Lakers seems excessively forced and I could not agree more. When Kobe says "My teammates are like brothers to me" you just KNOW that is not true in any way. It sounds exactly like a forced line from one of those stupid NBA public service announcement commercials that the players are contractually obligated to appear in.

Just listen to Smush Parker bad mouth Kobe now that he's better known as a valet punching wino than a guy with one of the dumbest nicknames in the NBA. That's the mothafuckin truth.

wow, what a climax. just wow.

made me literally LOL

Wowzers. Maybe Lebron doesn't like taking those last second shots, but that was a real humdinger. He's starting to creep on Kobe. I don't think even the biggest Kobe apologists can deny that for much longer.

After having watched Kobe Bryant for basically his entire career, I no longer believe you can make the case he's in the same league as Michael Jordan. Is he better than Lebron? I don't know. That's one of those stupid arguments like Kirk vs. Picard. I'm not even going to weigh in on it.

I'll tell you one thing though. Lebron's teammates genuinely love the guy. I don't think you should dismiss that fact - it's important, because they'll play hard for him and go to bat for him. And Kobe's teammates I think genuinely fucking hate him. As big of a Kobe fan as I am, he is a big whiny arrogant asshole who constantly complains and as soon as he passes the ball he will immediately demand it back which is very weird... that kinda shit is not going to endear him to people. Maybe that is why you're seeing such inconsistency from the Lakers; it sometimes seems like they don't really like each other. Bill Simmons, who I think is a dingbat, said that all the "camaraderie" of the Lakers seems excessively forced and I could not agree more. When Kobe says "My teammates are like brothers to me" you just KNOW that is not true in any way. It sounds exactly like a forced line from one of those stupid NBA public service announcement commercials that the players are contractually obligated to appear in.

Just listen to Smush Parker bad mouth Kobe now that he's better known as a valet punching wino than a guy with one of the dumbest nicknames in the NBA. That's the mothafuckin truth.

Is it Kobe's fault that Pau is a total softie, or that Bynum is inconsistent as hell?

As a natural leader I agree Lebron is more like Jordan than Kobe is, however. Kobe leads in his own way and that may not endear him to his teammates, but if it can lead to a championship, that's all that needs to be said.

Helluva shot by Lebron. Pure rhythm.

WTF was Rashard doing? He's 7 inches shorter than you dude...get your ass in front of Moe so he can't make an easy direct pass to Lebron...ridiculous.

I don't know why LeBron wasn't double teamed on the last possession in game 2.

Why was Lewis even worrying about the guy throwing the ball in?! Who cares about that guy, there isn't enough time for him to do anything. Double team LeBron!!!

to Orlando's defensive credit, Mo Williams was regarded as the best shooter on the Cavs all year and would usually take those kind of shots all season.

and to their credit, saying there needs to be two guys on the best all-around athlete in the NBA is a lot easier said than done.

GREAT post, Benefit.

Especially the part about Bill Simmons being a dingbat.

He's a good but not great writer, he certainly knows his pop-cultural references, and I give him tremendous credit for having a great business plan back in the 90's, when no one really knew how many outside-of-the-box opportunities would be created by the invention of internet.

That said, he's CONSISTENTLY one of the biggest homers/sore losers I've ever read - I don't care if he says he's "writing from the fans' perspective" - man up, Billy, and say that you're writing from the "Boston sports fans' perspective," and I'll at least give you some credit for being honest.

And worse yet, his complete lack of understanding of math, logic, odds and gambling are bad enough; the fact that he holds himself out to be a guru at these subjects, when he couldn't pass Stats 101 at a Community College (judging by some of the non-logic he regularly spouts on these subjects) is despicable.

And, yes, I've written him to correct his complete lack of understanding of simple mathematical concepts, and shockingly, that name-dropping megalomaniac didn't answer or address a single one.

I haven't met him, but based on his columns, I respect a lot of things about his talents, but that said, he seems like a complete douchebag.

Bill Simmons is your stereotypical Boston bias sports fan, whose logic seems to be affected heavily by that dirty water. he can be fun to read, as long as you preface each column he authored with these thoughts.

to Orlando's defensive credit, Mo Williams was regarded as the best shooter on the Cavs all year and would usually take those kind of shots all season.

and to their credit, saying there needs to be two guys on the best all-around athlete in the NBA is a lot easier said than done.

I'm sorry axl...this doesn't really make much sense to me...

Mo was inbounding the ball...so that's not Orlando gaining any defensive credit there.

Lebron wasn't even close to being double-teamed...nor was it in their mind to do so, as Van Gundy said he was trying to defend a lob pass to Lebron to tie it up (which would've been a lot better than giving up the 3 mind you).

So...c'mon dude...you can't give ANY credit to Orlando for what they did defensively at the end there. It was a hack job that led to a great Lebron moment because of Orlando's ineptitude at defense. All you need to do is look to the other Conference finals and see how vitally important it can be to guard the inbounds pass.

Way to go Master of Panic...

LOL @ "Master of Panic"

yeah, I just realized Mo Williams inbounded the pass a couple minutes ago watching the clip.

obviously, they were attempting a lob pass and initially it was well defended by Turkoglu. while there wasn't a double team on LBJ in the most strict definition, there was some help defense by another Magic defender (Rashard Lewish, maybe?). I remember watching two pairs of hands going up.

I love berating Stan Van Gundy as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't quite put this entirely on his shoulders. how can you coach somebody like Hedo to D up on someone like LBJ? I'm sure SVD warned about the lob pass, and then what? would you have preferred he told his team to foul or something (not effective coaching plan for buzzer beaters IMO)?

^Well I would've definitely liked the Master of Panic to tell Rashard to guard Moe much closer, rather than pretend he's guarding him. Odom's affected two inbounds passes against the Nuggets in critical moments...Rashard had the same advantage with his length like Odom did against Carter in game 1...instead Rashard basically gave Moe 5 feet to make a clean bullet pass to Lebron.

I have no problem w/ Hedo's defense...but that second pair of hands was Rashard, and he wasn't even close to Lebron after his buffoonery at guarding the inbounds pass.

Stan said he blames himself...and so I blame him too heh.

wow... clearly the better team won tonight. the cavs absolutely sucked. i could have made more shots than that with both hands bound behind my back. further validating all the naysayers. for shame cavs... for shame.

TOMORROW NIGHT is the type of game the all-time (I'll speak for who *I've* seen - mid 70's till now) clutch players (like Kareem, Dr. J, Moses, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Bernard, MJ, Reggie, Hakeem, Kobe and Wade) come through in the clutch - when they convinve not only themselves, but their TEAMMATES that

"We're the heavily favored team;

we played better than them ALL YEAR LONG,

and even though we've played like shit all week,

if EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US gives it our all tomorrow night,

and plays like this game as if it is the game of our lives,

then we can go back home, with momentum on our side AND with home court advantage.

If we lose tomorrow night. . . we're in big fucking trouble.

Let's fucking win!"

And then walk the walk.

Let's see if LeBron's ready to join them.

And even though I'm unabashedly a huge Kobe fan,

as a fan of the sport, I am actually rooting for LeBron to do just that tomorrow night.

I love this game!

Orlandos got this shit on wax, it should just be dwight howard and lebron james in a 1 on 1 game for the conference title.

<3

TOMORROW NIGHT is the type of game the all-time (I'll speak for who *I've* seen - mid 70's till now) clutch players (like Kareem, Dr. J, Moses, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Bernard, MJ, Reggie, Hakeem, Kobe and Wade) come through in the clutch - when they convinve not only themselves, but their TEAMMATES that

"We're the heavily favored team;

we played better than them ALL YEAR LONG,

and even though we've played like shit all week,

if EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US gives it our all tomorrow night,

and plays like this game as if it is the game of our lives,

then we can go back home, with momentum on our side AND with home court advantage.

If we lose tomorrow night. . . we're in big fucking trouble.

Let's fucking win!"

And then walk the walk.

Let's see if LeBron's ready to join them.

And even though I'm unabashedly a huge Kobe fan,

as a fan of the sport, I am actually rooting for LeBron to do just that tomorrow night.

I love this game!

i'm so butthurt for you right now.

Cleveland got straight outplayed last game. my hat goes off to the Magic.

the Cavs have to be feeling pretty good, because despite playing a horrible (shot-wise) basketball game, they almost won. Orlando was hot and cold again with their shots, but mostly missing their shots for the first three quarters. they hit them when they needed to.

the only reason why Cleveland was still in the ball game because of their solid defensive play.

if the Cavs lose this game it is pretty much over. LBJ can't do much more, but he needs to keep on stepping up and hopefully inspire Delonte West and Mo Williams a little more (offensively).

Thieveland needs to take advantage of Orlando's sloppy home play.

we'll see tonight, the pressure's on, adversity is in full affect for the the Cavs. I love this game.

Who was it that missed the game winning shot just now?

Oh wait, was that LeBron?

:)

it's not like he was even given a decent look at the basket. that was just a fugly game by the cavs. they had, once again, no business winning that game. again they played like shit. lebron played decently, west played decently, but the cavs consistently failed to convert on turnovers and never made the shots they needed. lebron shouldn't have even been in the position to take that shot. the game shouldn't have been that close. the cavs (as a team) let lebron down. they're still expecting him to carry the load.

what a fucking joke.

i'm not ruling the cavs out yet, but down 3-1 against the magic is a TERRIBLE place to be if you're the cavs. this series is all but over and it makes me sad to say that.

GOOO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where yall cleveland fans at now huh? What was that about free throws? Magic proving all the naysayers wrong....

Last edited: