• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

does anybody know how quickly kava builds tolerance? I've used it as a sleep aid combined with passionflower and valerian for around a year or two, but about a month ago, I bought a bag of Hawaiian powdered Kava (which I later discovered was a poorly-reviewed brand) and made my first cup, and felt effects from just a few sips, but recently I've noticed that its effects are barely noticable. Also, is there any risk of physical dependence? thanks errbody

Ive been reading mixed reviews about this kava stuff, how much does it cost at vitamin shops?

kava is awful when your in opiate withdrawals

It seems to vary from person to person and may depend on what opioid they were taking, but I feel like kava can exacerbate the withdrawals (usually after it wears off). I wonder if it is increasing the elimination of the opioid from the body?

does anybody know how quickly kava builds tolerance?
Also, is there any risk of physical dependence?
I have taken it daily for months at a time without noticing any dependence and only slight tolerance, but there are a few people on here who will say it is dependence-causing. It probably depends on the person and on how much they're taking as well, I wasn't usually taking high doses for long periods of time (I've done maybe ~3 weeks of daily large doses at the most). So I think it is not likely to rapidly cause serious dependence, but it is possible and so it's best to be careful and not get into the habit of frequently taking high doses.

Last edited:
i just bought kava kava with 30% kavalactones 250mg..it says take one but im trying to get sedated, should i take more or should i take 1 and see how i feel? I have a high benzo tolerance so is that going to play a factor?

i just bought kava kava with 30% kavalactones 250mg..it says take one but im trying to get sedated, should i take more or should i take 1 and see how i feel? I have a high benzo tolerance so is that going to play a factor?

Who knows, all kava is different and all people are different, just start with one and see how it affects you and go from there.

damnit i dont feel shit, i bought the kava kava extract 250mg root powder capsules w/ 30% kavalactones, took 1 and dont feel shit..should i have just bought the tea at the store like the ppl at this 1 store said or what? Is the tea the one that numbs your mouth and throat? That would make it seem like it would be more likely to work

or is it because i just have a high benzo tolerance?

The "30% Kavalactones" 250mg extracts are very weak, and dangerous, since a couple of companies had reportedly used the leaves in their extract. You can only eat the extract of the Kava rhizmome and root, not of the leaf, since the leaf contians a unique kavalactone that causes liver damage, hence the FDA report on every Kava product sold in the US, regardless of its leaf content.

I would much rather suggest going with the Herb-Pharm Kava alcohol-based-tincture, in the glass bottles which comes in 1oz and 4oz bottles with a dropper bottle as the screwtop. That dropper bottle is used to measure out 40-100 drops (150-200 if you have a high Kava tolerance), which is squirted in to about 8 oz of water or juice. The effects are potent, and the quality consistent, and the "high" is consistent, too, due the precision of doses with a standardized tincture (extract in grain alcohol).

kava is awful when your in opiate withdrawals

Can anyone else attest to this? I've used kratom to kinda level out from opiates and I'm about to b done. Can someone give me any info on how much to take and any other natural supplements I can mix to allow me to still go to school and such?

I can take pretty much any form right? Except stay away from extracts if possible?

Can anyone else attest to this? I've used kratom to kinda level out from opiates and I'm about to b done. Can someone give me any info on how much to take and any other natural supplements I can mix to allow me to still go to school and such?

I can take pretty much any form right? Except stay away from extracts if possible?
Stay away from those stupid little capsules or whatever. You cant make tea out of kava unless its cold. Kava to me has always potentiated any Methadone in my system I Think? Im not quite sure but honestly the only reason I bought the stuff was for the warmth I got from it. Now Im scared to drink Kava as my last few experiences caused breathing issues at night. I take Xanax so Im guessing it has something to do with that.

I find the problem is that if you take too much kava it seems to speed the elimination of opioids from the system, hence increasing withdrawals or making withdrawals come on faster. Personally I don't find it problematic in small doses. It may vary from person to person though, as some people report having no problems with high kava doses while in withdrawal (maybe it can also vary depending on what opioid you're WD-ing from and whether you've quit completely or are just tapering it?)

As for how much kava to use, that depends on the desired effect and the particular kava you have, all you can really do is start low and experiment. Pure powdered root or capsules that only contain powdered root are best (although the capsules are more expensive, I just get them because they are very convenient - easier to measure doses, require no preparation etc - and I can purchase them at the health food store, the bulk root is more economical).

As for other supplements, do you mean other supplements to help with opioid withdrawal? There are a ton, I can try to search for some threads that go into detail or I can give you the list of ones I've found helpful if you like?

Combining kava with marijuana induced almost psychedelic effects (slight visual alterations, but very subtle), a slight pleasant-tingling feeling throughout my body and utter relaxation.

i bought the 250mg root caplsules with 30% kavalactones, took 5 and felt nothing...how much should I take to feel anything?

Last edited:
kava has a very noticeble calming effect that is very helpful.it helps with anxiety,depression ect. it helps sum with pain especially tension headache type pain.the information the op posted in this megathread sum of it is incorrect and probly copied from an overly paranoid warning label places on the back of a few kava supplement bottles.kava does work best if a drink is made with kava powder and sumthing like say pineapple coconut juice or sum kind of drink mix.it doesnt matter how old the drinker is its perfectly safe 2 drink it. a beverage containing kava drunk by babies who r like 1 year old will not cauze them harm.its safer than coffee.it has many health benifits sum not mentioned here.

That's correct, root only: no liver damage. Nearly all of the countries that banned it in the early 2000's have since lifted the ban as it became clear that only the leaves & stem of kava cause liver problems, which a few unscrupulous manufacturers had used due to the shortage of kava during that time of it's surging popularity. Buy from a reliable vendor, kava from Vanuatu is most potent but I enjoy stuff from Kona (Hawaii). Kava is fat soluble so it's best to soak it in whole milk, coconut milk, or soy milk to release the kavalactones. I usually put 2-5 teaspoons of powdered kava with 3 cups vanilla coconut milk beverage, blend for a few minutes, then strain the mixture through a sock (used only for this purpose) keeping the sock open with a hollowed out plastic cup. Temperatures above 140 F destroy kavalactone, so drink it cold, or at least warm, it is not a traditional "Earl Gray" type tea. I kneed it like you would dough for 8 minutes in the milk, getting all the good stuff out just like they do in the Pacific. I drink a couple glasses on an empty stomach and am feeling relaxed and slightly euphoric in 10 minutes. Just like any other tea, you can keep adding more liquid to the pulp if you're worried about wasting any. My local health food coop has kava root chips, which also work good after being blended. With the powder you can drink it without straining, but I'd still run it through a wire mesh to make it a bit more palatable. Aloha No!

In the process of making an extract. I was pleasantly surprised on the sheer synergy of a moderate amount with three beers; it felt like the euphoria of six beers plus weed with little-no nausea or otherwise negative effects.

In the process of making an extract. I was pleasantly surprised on the sheer synergy of a moderate amount with three beers; it felt like the euphoria of six beers plus weed with little-no nausea or otherwise negative effects.

Indeed the only real side effect that stopped me from dosing any higher (not really it just felt weird) was that my heart started beating somewhat faster and harder. Afterwards I looked it up and found that kava is one of many plants with phenethylamines in it, such as saffron or nutmeg. This made sense from the feeling it gave me, which was not only anxiety-relieving and relaxing on the body, but stimulating, energetic, and euphoric. These effects were noted with the whole root (chewed just how it is, its fun) much more than with any other form.

The thing about kava is that it's not really a good substitute for any drug out there due to it's undesirable side effects, which include nausea, tiredness, expense, and route of administration (gulping a mud-like grog on an empty stomach). It's hard to determine this threshold, since many experience reverse tolerance with kava which means they feel nothing the first couple times and later finally feel it but wonder why it was worth it. I tried kava paste when I was 15, was a bit drunk at the time but even sober I felt no effect from it so forgot about it for 10 years. I tried extracts & capsules, no effect. Then I notice my local health food coop has it in root chip form so I try it again, i feel something but it's hard to tell if it's just cause my stomach's empty & finally getting something in it.
Recently I read "Getting Stoned with Savages" an exaggerated account of an American expat living in Vanuatu, & find out kava really can intoxicate you. I love the fact it's from the South Pacific & natural, so I order some root powder, prepare it properly and voila! it works, effects felt in 10 minutes, like alcohol except worse in every way. It's called grog for a reason, I mean it gives you a little empathetic buzz very similar to having 3 or 4 drinks, you're relaxed & might become talkative which makes you want more to keep it going, but then you will get nauseous & dizzy. Plus you have to eat at some point but with kava you won't get any buzz drinking it on a full stomach. The smell of it seems to get stuck in your nasal passages too which doesn't help your queasiness. Even experienced users have a hard time stomaching it and take it more for the anti-anxiety qualities than for a high. Most of the people who get excited about it are looking for a non-addictive substitute to alcohol, but alas alcohol is similar to the Winston Churchill quote "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." My advice, if you must try it, buy a quality 1/4 lb. bag, don't get all irrational and but a whole kilo like I'm stuck with.....

^I guess that just goes to show how different everyone is. Personally I have no problem stomaching it, have never noticed nausea from it and don't really even mind the taste that much if I prepare it in the traditional manner, it's just weird and earthy and numbs the mouth. I don't like drinking it without filtering the particles of root out first though, that is gross. I also don't find it to do nothing when taken on a full stomach, although even if you feel that is the case for you that shouldn't prevent you from eating, you can always drink it and then eat. I definitely do not consider it "worse in every way" than alcohol!

It's called grog for a reason

The reason kava beverage in Fiji is sometimes called "grog" is just because alcohol is referred to as "grog" in Australia and Fiji is close to Australia. It was like the native Fijians' version of alcohol, what they would drink instead, so it became referred to by some as "grog".

Last edited: