• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

^ Well, i guess as they say "all things in moderation". I'm happy kava works for you, just wondering how you prepare it, I use 2 heaping tbl spoons of root powder, mix with 16 oz soy milk and 1/2 teaspoon soy lecithin, blend it on high a few minutes, then let it set for 5+ hrs. I read that people use water but some kavalactones are fat soluble, that's why I like soy milk. I run it through a wire strainer but otherwise drink it down whole. I'm kind of happy I don't like it too much though, just another habit. I guess it is better than alcohol in that there's no awful hangover the next morning, but for me there's little variance between a recreational dose and an immoderate one which puts a damper on the good times. Oh well...

I find it very nice and I think its also a feature that you cant get black out drunk from it and not a weakness as you say.
I wouldnt buy a kilo of anything that I never tried before.

There is some study that suggests that kava increases your GABA receptor density which would be a good thing because that means for the abuser of GABAergic drugs this can to some extend fix the physical addiction or make a withdrawel easier.
Again for somebody who is heavily addicted this is less likely a cure.

This is a beautiful plant root but it messed my Liver up... Always use this in moderation with no other substance.

^ Well, i guess as they say "all things in moderation". I'm happy kava works for you, just wondering how you prepare it, I use 2 heaping tbl spoons of root powder, mix with 16 oz soy milk and 1/2 teaspoon soy lecithin, blend it on high a few minutes, then let it set for 5+ hrs. I read that people use water but some kavalactones are fat soluble, that's why I like soy milk. I run it through a wire strainer but otherwise drink it down whole.

Recreationally I have mostly used the traditional method of putting crushed root in a cloth bag and swishing it in cold water for a decent amount of time, which if done correctly can produce excellent results. Another method I have used is similar to what you describe, using a blender, some water and soy milk, (although I definitely didn't let it sit for 5 hrs) except that I filtered it using a coffee filter (I can't remember if it was best to add the soy milk before or after filtering). However honestly the taste doesn't bother me, but once when I tried root + water in a blender without proper filtration it was gross and hard to drink though, or once when I drank a lot of kava the taste was starting to bug me. No nausea though.

If I am just using low doses for therapeutic purposes (insomnia, anxiety, drug withdrawal, interstitial cystitis or bladder infections, etc) I will just put powdered root in capsules or buy some good quality capsules containing whole root powder, as that's easier.

This is a beautiful plant root but it messed my Liver up... Always use this in moderation with no other substance.
May I ask what form you were taking it in and what lead you to conclude it messed up your liver?

Didnt read through the whole thread but in case anyone is interested, I placed a drop of grain alcohol kava extract on a small piece of paper towel, waited for it to dry, and Marquis tested it. Immediate red fading to brown over time.

May be useful information when purchasing root powder or capsules from a new source.

Can anyone verify my result? I can post a result for Mandelin and Ehrlich's as well if anyone is interested.

So I just got finished with Kim Stanley Robinsons Mars Trilogy and though I know it is fiction in it they drink Kava-Java. It has me interested. Is there a historical basis for this mixture of Kava and Coffee? Is it a modern invention? Or is it simply fictional?

So I just got finished with Kim Stanley Robinsons Mars Trilogy and though I know it is fiction in it they drink Kava-Java. It has me interested. Is there a historical basis for this mixture of Kava and Coffee? Is it a modern invention? Or is it simply fictional?

Kava kava & coffee have nothing to do with each other, kava means coffee in slovenian & croatian & there's even a brand of instant coffee called Kava. There's a bunch of coffee houses with "kava" in their name but if you asked them what kava kava (piper methysticum) was they'd look at you dumbfounded. I personally have experienced nausea & vomiting having coffee after having a second dose of kava (several hours after the first). So in summary, I would not recommend them together. An interesting sidenote, kava is called "awa" in Hawaii, and the word kava was used to mean anything bitter in Fiji & Vanuatu. Reportedly the reason we call it kava kava is due to a marketing ploy, showing the word twice was meant to increase the buyer's awareness of it.

the word kava was used to mean anything bitter in Fiji & Vanuatu.
I don't think that's quite true. In Fiji they call kava "yaqona" ("q" is pronounced "ng" in Fiji - so it sounds like "yangona"), although "qona" can mean bitter - you are thinking of Tonga, where "kava" means bitter. "Kava" is not even a Fijian word, they only use it when speaking to Westerners who haven't learned "yaqona" yet ;). They claim that bitter is named after kava and not the other way around, but I don't know if that's true (kava use predates history). In Vanuatu "kokona" means bitter. All these terms likely come from similar roots though :)

I think you are right that traditionally there is no drinking of kava mixed with coffee. I have never heard of it.

I have seen reports from people on other drug forums combining kava and coffee though, (and saying they liked it, although I wouldn't do it personally as I don't like coffee), so it's not a complete myth as people actually do it, but I don't know if people got the idea from the books or vice versa - it's very possible they got the idea of "kava java" from the books. The first book is from 20 years ago, right?

Last edited:
I don't think that's quite true. In Fiji they call kava "yaqona" ("q" is pronounced "ng" in Fiji - so it sounds like "yangona"), although "qona" can mean bitter - you are thinking of Tonga, where "kava" means bitter. "Kava" is not even a Fijian word, they only use it when speaking to Westerners who haven't learned "yaqona" yet ;). They claim that bitter is named after kava and not the other way around, but I don't know if that's true (kava use predates history). In Vanuatu "kokona" means bitter. All these terms likely come from similar roots though :)

I think you are right that traditionally there is no drinking of kava mixed with coffee. I have never heard of it.

I have seen reports from people on other drug forums combining kava and coffee though, (and saying they liked it, although I wouldn't do it personally as I don't like coffee), so it's not a complete myth as people actually do it, but I don't know if people got the idea from the books or vice versa - it's very possible they got the idea of "kava java" from the books. The first book is from 20 years ago, right?

I believe they where all published in the mid to late 90's. It wouldn't suprise me if people started doing it after reading the books. That's why I asked about it on here lol.

Is there any pharmacological reason that Kava would not work in the 'traditional' way if one were using it for anxiety while also taking Neurotin and a benzo?

I'm looking for a way to lessen 'breakthrough' anxiety without taking another benzo or increasing the dose of either of the above-mentioned meds (which I am trying to get off and therefore, experience anxiety).

No it would still work but its not really meant to be used for a legitimate medical condition, more so for fun; in this respect it can be equated to alcohol. Talk to your doctor.

Is there any pharmacological reason that Kava would not work in the 'traditional' way if one were using it for anxiety while also taking Neurotin and a benzo?

I'm looking for a way to lessen 'breakthrough' anxiety without taking another benzo or increasing the dose of either of the above-mentioned meds (which I am trying to get off and therefore, experience anxiety).
I have used kava while taking Neurontin and benzos and found it helpful in reducing my doses of those meds. I did find it to really synergize with the Neurontin though so be very careful with doses until you get a feel for how you react to it.
No it would still work but its not really meant to be used for a legitimate medical condition, more so for fun; in this respect it can be equated to alcohol. Talk to your doctor.
According to who?! Kava has many therapeutic uses. It's not just recreational. I have had at least 2 doctors recommend it to me (for multiple purposes).

Established medical procure (every industrialized pharmaceutical block). The problem with Kava is that it not only has many modes of action (which might exacerbate other conditions, such as SNRI and MAOI activity), but its not regulated and therefore a standardized, medically valid and appropriate dose is very hard to come by.

Established medical procure (every industrialized pharmaceutical block). The problem with Kava is that it not only has many modes of action (which might exacerbate other conditions, such as SNRI and MAOI activity), but its not regulated and therefore a standardized, medically valid and appropriate dose is very hard to come by.
Do you mind explaining the various modes of action? I've heard it has GABA<sub>a</sub> affinity and even cannabinoid activity but am curious as to others. Also, does the SNRI activity responsible for the 'stimulant' type effect it can give?

I have used kava while taking Neurontin and benzos and found it helpful in reducing my doses of those meds. I did find it to really synergize with the Neurontin though so be very careful with doses until you get a feel for how you react to it.
I'm on 3.6g of gabapentin a day and a similarly high dose of vallium so I usually have't found anything to really synergize since those doses/meds probably *overpower* them (which is what I was wondering about with Kava).

I am using a standardized ethanol extract and have been taking around 325-400mg of kavalactones per dose FWIW

It works primarily through sodium and calcium ion channels, with MAOI-B and SNRI (these two causing stimulation, but mostly the former), and (disputed, but probable) action at the benzodiazepine site. Yangonin has affinity for CB1, but its only slight and it could as well be an antagonist. Due to it not being an institutionally accepted pharmaceutical there isn't a lot of research on it.

Hi,
Just ordered some powder Kava Kava and strainer bag. I think I read somewhere that it's good to make it with a cold drink...something that contains some fat, like milk. Allow it to steep for a while...even up to an hour and then squeeze the bag into the drink and hopefully it works. That's the method I'm going to try anyway. I did look up some recipes...so, I'll sit down and read more on it later. I'll post my experience...if anything. I've kind of learned that these online vitamins, pill, powders, leaves...whatever...tend NOT to work. But, I'm gonna give this a shot and hope it relieves my anxiety. :|

Speaking of doses....how much would you recommend for the powder. I plan to steep it in cold chocolate milk. I read somewhere that you should use a cold drink that contains some fat...such as milk. I don't like just plain milk, so I figured I would try chocolate. I have an extreme high tolerance for things. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

2-4 grams 3x daily is the starter dose, but you can go much higher relatively safely.

I've tried capsules, drink at a local bar, Yogi brand Kava, and powdered Kava online. The results were weakest to strongest as I've lised. Really felt nothing of the capsules or the prepared drink. I was VERY surprised by the Yogi tea, seeing as I bought it from Meijer and have since seen it sold all over the place. It numbs the tounge and about 3 or 4 tea bags has you feeling gooood. But if I really want a good chill kava night, nothing beats the powder. Still want to try a root.

Living in Vanuatu the last 12 months.

Many locals will tell you Vanuatu Kava is the strongest throughout the South Pacific. Not a massive fan, but a few tips and tricks I've picked up from drinking with the Pro's...

1. Traditionally, Kava is a social drink, over the years, it has become less ceremonial. 4-5pm is 'Happy hour' and is when you local 'Kava bars' will be full of eager patrons. Not like a traditional bar, these are usually out door, no lights, no music, and talking is always in hushed voices. Studies have shown that Kava can reveal Social Anxiety. IMO Kava is best enjoyed with a group of friends, not many distractions, I.e no TV/radio

2. When drinking Kava, try for an empty stomach; there is a respect for Kava, and the pepper root plant it comes from in this country. Locals will not eat before having the first 'shell', after consuming, they will sit, generally in silence, and allow the effects of Kava to take place, after say 4-5minutes after the first shell, they will eat. Most Kava bars will sell some sort of food, the more traditional bars have home cooked, 'Lap Lap' or coconut milk Manioc. Any food is good, but warm is better.

3. If drinking Alcohol after, no more Kava, much like MJ, Kava before beer your in the clear, beer before kava you'll need looked after. ; )

4. Great mixed with pot, Nausea is a possible side effect, much like smoking and drinking alcohol.

5. Quality? Do you lips tingle slightly after drinking? You've got the goods!!

6. Don't sip, it is served in half a coconut shell or a bowl of similar size, straight down the hatch.

7. the taste isn't pretty, have some fruit on the side to munch on afterwards, pineapple or pawpaw my first choice.

8. After a few shells, try a glass of warm milk, helps with any nausea, and seems to extend the effects of the Kava

The Kava in Vanuatu, is prep'd from the roots of the pepper root plants, NEVER the leaves, this is how it is always drunk, I have tried powdered stuff, doesn't compete.