• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The EADD Metathread - Let's talk about how we can improve EADD

I can't actually recall a time when Gibz weren't added to the Archive - always have been as far as my memory extends - but it's true it is more habit than reason at this point. I'm perfectly happy to leave Gibz to run on somewhat indefinitely - and possibly some other threads that such like would suit too.

Hah, I see what you did there, Scotchie. ;)

And Shammo - allow me to clarify. We have always punted the old Gibberings into the Archive, that's for sure. Only for them all to be periodically deleted at a later date, in a massive hurry during a cull, while searching through the rest of the Archives for stuff that's actually worth saving. The whole thing is just pointless busy work.

An admin/engineer many years ago, during a period of "not-knowing-what-the-fuck-was-going-wrong-with-BL-all-the-time" pronounced that it might be a good idea to limit threads to 1000.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim. There wasn't back then, and there certainly isn't now. Bluelight is the only forum that I know of that does this. It's nonsense. :D

Do we still have culls? I really don't know since the last upgrade. I take it Archived threads don't just get automatically culled then? Has been a while since the last one so really can't remember how it's done other than we asked people to recommend threads to be saved and the rest went bye-bye... or did they?!? :sus:

I agree on the lack of need to stick to 1000 posts now. The old limit has been ignored for a long time - good couple of years I'd say - in at least some of the other forums and I see no reason why EADD should be different in that regard.

Out of interest, what would your thoughts be on threads in general in regards to the 1000 posts tradition? Specifically drug threads. I have vague notions that it is somehow easier to navigate the megathreads if they are at least broken up into chunks rather than one never-ending uberthread but not really basing that on anything concrete.

Do we still have culls? I really don't know since the last upgrade. I take it Archived threads don't just get automatically culled then? Has been a while since the last one so really can't remember how it's done other than we asked people to recommend threads to be saved and the rest went bye-bye... or did they?!? :sus:

I agree on the lack of need to stick to 1000 posts now. The old limit has been ignored for a long time - good couple of years I'd say - in at least some of the other forums and I see no reason why EADD should be different in that regard.

Out of interest, what would your thoughts be on threads in general in regards to the 1000 posts tradition? Specifically drug threads. I have vague notions that it is somehow easier to navigate the megathreads if they are at least broken up into chunks rather than one never-ending uberthread but not really basing that on anything concrete.

You're asking me if you still have culls? :D I have no idea.

This is how it used to work.

TLB would announce a cull, with a cut-off date. The entire purpose of this was to save storage space on the server.

It would typically mean that everything in your main forum older than a certain date would be deleted. (The date range would vary from forum to forum.) For example, everything in EADD older than 2 years old would be deleted. If the mods or users wanted anything saved, it was up to them to move it to the EADD Archive. The only things moved to the Archive were threads that were worth keeping (in someone's opinion). Over time, some of those threads would be reviewed and culled, or moved to BoBL.

I'm not sure about the drug threads. I am also kinda steeped in the Bluelight mentality where I think it's "normal" to split them up. There's no easy answer to that one.

We have to remember that BL isn't Wikipedia - it's an ongoing discussion forum with a search engine; that's all. We are absolutely shit at collating information on drugs compared to drugsforum, and I think it's kinda pointless to try and compete with either of those sites.

So... those are my thoughts, for what they're worth. :\

Let's at least get Gibberings up to the big Two Hundred, before we do anything too drastic with it! Go out on a high, and all that.

I'll certainly agree there are more sensible split-points than exactly 1000 posts. It does seem a bit crass breaking up a conversation that may be in full flow -- on the other hand, there are some posts that it would do no harm to have shunted out-of-sight. As for title changes, they were always a part of the tradition.

In hindsight, I wish I'd setup a "dumping ground" subforum in EADD, where the old gibberings and "what are you eating" threads and all that ephemeral social guff could be deposited for a while, with the understanding and expectation that they would be all be deleted after they became (say) 1-2 years old. This would have been separate from the EADD Archive. That would help the server space problem (if it's still a problem).

I dunno why I still seem to care about this. :D I'm just a regular Bluelighter now and it makes no difference to me. I have no idea what guidance you guys are receiving from on high nowadays, and it's entirely possible that the things I'm saying go against it.

Anyway.

When I spoke about thread title changes, I was referring to them happening while a thread is still ongoing. Either for clarity, or for a laugh. Approximately 73% of thread titles in Support are (were) things like "Help", or "Don't know how to..." or something else similarly vague. I always took the time to change those to something more descriptive or useful. Same in EADD when it comes to drug threads.

I dunno what I'm banging on about any more, so I'm just going to click on the post button. ;)

Anytime you have a suggestion for a witty new title for a thread you didn't start, just PM a mod. This goes for anyone, by the way .....

An admin/engineer many years ago, during a period of "not-knowing-what-the-fuck-was-going-wrong-with-BL-all-the-time" pronounced that it might be a good idea to limit threads to 1000.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim. There wasn't back then, and there certainly isn't now. Bluelight is the only forum that I know of that does this. It's nonsense. :D
aby confirmed some time ago that the 1000 post thing is a non-issue. some forums continue to do it because "we've always done that..."

alasdair

Thank fuck for that. I was beginning to doubt myself there for a minute.

So it's not about server space or performance; it's about organisation.

What are your thoughts on dealing with the drug threads, ali?

Thanks for chiming in. :)

Could one of you mods add the link for the full version of BL to your signature please? I can't find the option on the mobile version. Allein did post the link the other week but I can't locate the post now. If it was permanently on someone's sig it would be easier to find. Cheers. :)

I was going to say that I can't find 'Support' - then it occurred to me to actually come out of EADD for once, and there it is. Thanks Evey :)

It's also listed more than once in the EADD Index. For personal convenience I would recommend bookmarking This LInk as clickying 'pon that will always take you to the full version of BL.

I was going to say that I can't find 'Support' - then it occurred to me to actually come out of EADD for once, and there it is. Thanks Evey :)

OK i will send you the bill. My service charges are very high. Hah ;)

Evey

OK i will send you the bill. My service charges are very high. Hah ;)

Word of advice from one working girl to another, dearie... it may seem like you earn more charging high but you'll service more punters per hour if you charge just below market rate. This is how I've kept in business the whole time Spade has been whoring overseas and how I put food on the table every day before that. Never price yourself out of the market if in the service industry, dearie.

Spade's Mum

Word of advice from one working girl to another, dearie... it may seem like you earn more charging high but you'll service more punters per hour if you charge just below market rate. This is how I've kept in business the whole time Spade has been whoring overseas and how I put food on the table every day before that. Never price yourself out of the market if in the service industry, dearie.

Spade's Mum

LOL :D

Evey