• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Cheese Thread

The famous chippy burger! :D

Haven't had one of them in aaaaaaaaaaaaaages!

I have just re-aquainted myself with my love for Feta. I have no will power against this lovely creamy salty cheese.

I have just re-aquainted myself with my love for Feta. I have no will power against this lovely creamy salty cheese.

+1

My breakfast when I have time

ntakos-2009.jpg

Oooh, That looks right tasty. Whats in it?

Recipe for Dakos Salad

- One large round dakos (barley rusk)
- One big ripe tomato with discard skin, grated
- One big piece of feta cheese
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, or more
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Greek oregano
- Couple of fresh leaves of basil
- Olives (optional)

I'm gonna to make that. The addition of Dry greek black olives would be a must for me. Thanks. Don't know where I'd purchase a Dakos though. Are they easy to come by?

I'm gonna to make that. The addition of Dry greek black olives would be a must for me. Thanks. Don't know where I'd purchase a Dakos though. Are they easy to come by?

The Greek stores on Bayswater in London usually have or you can order some. Whole Foods might have something very similar, i.e ask to see the rusks they have.

Worst case scenario make toast but you have get the bread out just before it burns.

Thanks. I will give this a go. Was trying to look up Dakos recipes but it seems the whole thing is called Dakos and can be made like bruchetta with some toasted or grilled bread. I'd imagine a nice olive loaf or olive oil crusty bread would be ideal. I can't wait to make this. I just adore Greek food and miss living near my fav greek restaurant.

i quite like that 'brie' cheese, not sure if thats how its spelled

i quite like that 'brie' cheese, not sure if thats how its spelled

I find that most people who like Brie enjoy Camembert. Both are quite nice melted in a small dish served with warm crusty bread to dip into the melted cheese. Very enjoyable.

sounds nice sadie!

only thing i dont like about brei is that rancid hard shit on the outside, i just pop it off with a knife ha

sounds nice sadie!

only thing i dont like about brei is that rancid hard shit on the outside, i just pop it off with a knife ha

Yeah, Camembert has that rind too. I also scrape that off. Once scraped I just put it in the oven. A potato peeler is great for taking that off and keeping most of the cheese. When I use a knife i usually end up taking quite a bit of cheese off with the rind. Thats probably just me though.

You can bake both brie and camembert in their little wooden boxes minus the plastic apparently. The rancid rind keeps all the good bit safe.

You're on my friends list for that very reason, Sadie ;)

In other cheese news, Cathedral City is crap. Even though it was half price the cheapness didn't make up for being a poor excuse for a cheese :(

Where I originate from, in the deep deep (Neanderthal deep) central France, there is this classic dish of chips and melted Camembert (or Brie, or any similar cheese) called Fondue Creusois.

It is in the same spirit as deep fried Mars Bars. For the Epicurean. Recipe follows...

Fondue Creusois

The fondue creusois is really simple and some of the hardcore fondue fans will say it’s just melted camembert. In this recipe it uses a mature regional cows’ milk cheese but this can be replaced by a ripe unpasteurised camembert.

Serves 4

1 tsp Butter
¼ l of single cream
10 cl of water
1 Soup spoon of flour
250 g of creusois cows milk cheese

Take the rind off the cheese and slice into slivers. Bring the water to boiling point in a pan and melt the cheese in the water, stirring frequently. Add the cream. In a separate pan, mix together the butter and flour and incorporate into the cheese mixture with the help of a whisk. Continually stir until you obtain a smooth texture. Let it cook for 5 minutes then use a sieve to get rid of any lumps. Season and serve with chips.

anyone tried 5 county cheese? I buy it from the morrisons deli, has layers of different cheese, can't remember all of them but it has red Leicester, rather nice :)

ASDA currently do a lovely Lancashire cheese with raisins, apple, and cinnamon. It's almost like easting a cake.