• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Trip Abortion Thread

Yeah man any kind of downer for me anyway. I find a few beers can help ease anxiety coming up in a trip. But dont forget, you might accidentally drink too much and end up tripping and puking (happened to me on 2ci, was not too fun). But yeah I think if you're just tripping way too much balls, i'd go with a benzo like klonopin or ativan to help you chill out.

Also, I've not tried it, but I'd imagine kava or valerian might help you get through a bad trip.

^^
On the first page of this thread:
DwayneHoover said:
Niacin is said to rapidly turn off a trip. Not the niacinamide or the time-release but pure immediate release niacin. Once I had this bizarre whiteoue-totally_unaware-zero_memory_or_speech_-but-still-walking-around-acting-reptilian-and-making-guttural-grunts reaction to 2 hits of unexpectedly powerful acid... and when my partner at the time got tired of all the drama and annoying behaviour, he dragged me into the kitchen, forced a couple grams of Niacin tablets in my mouth and made me drink some water like forcing an uncooperative dog to swallow pills, and in 10-15 minutes I "woke up" to sneers and dirty looks from my trip-mates, completely unaware of what had happened over the last 3 hours, as I had totally ruined the previously pleasant vibe in the house. I still have NO idea what happened inside my brain really... (see the "trip disasters" topic for my detailed story of the traumatic and epic experience going on as my higher-functions were apparently visiting some other far-future plane of existence in the presence of a destroyed Earth and and a VERY pissed-off Grandmother Goddess who was acting like the whole catastrophe was all MY personal fault, haha, or um, YIKES) BUT ANYWAY the niacin DID seem for SOME reason to snap me out of it.

I have heard conflicting arguments about whether it actually works or not, or if it is just some placebo effect. I am leaning toward "really works" because I was totally GONE BABY GONE and my conscious intelligent mind had NO idea what was happening or what was being fed to me or why.

benzos is what they give ya at the hospital, someone said nitrous HA good luck with that

i dont believe its ever right to attempt to "counteract" a psycedelic

all that is happening is, youre not comfortable being confronted with yourself, your ego is being damaged, or you are trying to control something that can not be controlled. the point is to lose control, and learn a lesson. its not there for you to "like" or "not like" the lesson, the lesson is what it is. let your ego die, even if it seems "painful." pain is inevitable, suffering is entirely up to you.

treating acid like some commodity that exists for your pleasure is a sure fire way to never fully enjoy, never fully experience, or never fully let go during, the trip.

It sounds stupid but my friend pouring water over my head once instantly changed my trip from bad to good and I've seen this work for others too.

Alcohol can definately help reduce anxiety if things start going south both in the fact that its a depressant and also just because theres something psychologically relaxing and grounding about sipping on a beer.

someone said nitrous HA good luck with that

Even though nitrous makes you trip much harder for a few minutes I actually think it might be able to get someone out of a mild bad trip by taking their mind off whatever they were thinking about and giving them awesome visuals to focus on.

Of course it could easily make it worse too so its not a great option but its one I would probably try myself if I was feeling really bad

LSD and SSRIs?

Long time, no see blulight community.

I was reading on wikipedia about LSD and I saw that in the case of a bad trip, some folks took SSRIs in order to sort of cancel out the effects of the acid. I'm taking acid next week for my second time, and I haven't had it since what....man I'd say like April 2009

Where does the time go?

Anyways, I tripped balls that time, took 3 hits from a sugar cube. My trip was pretty damn good, several downs, but also extremely awesome ups. But back to my main point...Does anyone have any experience taking SSRIs at a LSD peak and seeing any effects? Just asking because I want to have a clean acid trip, but if I start freaking out, I'd like something to calm me down other than xanax or ecstasy. I got some extra prozac and my buddy's got some spare zoloft so maybe I'll have some on me just in case.

Your guy's thoughts?

So, you aren't on SSRI, but you want to have them to abort a trip?
AFAIK, trips during a course of SSRI are a bit blunted, but not completely diminished.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but SSRI and LSD is potentially dangerous combination. Shambles took Tramadol(SNRI) and LSD and got serotonin syndrome. Erowid reports negative side-effects of combinations of SSRI and LSD, although most of combinations described there include lithium.

Nothing would convince me to take SSRI for stopping the trip. Even if educated ADD folks would say it's safe, I wouldn't take it.
Better get some benzos. They is proven to work.

And this thread may be interesting for you :)

Well, if i'm correct the general theory about SSRIs blunting the effects of psychedelics has to do with the increase in synaptic serotonin at consequent lack of available binding sites for the drug, that's a bit of an oversimplification... but oh well...

Anyway, if you were to take an SSRI (and you don't take them regularly) it would take at least 3-4hrs to reach peak plasma concentration, and even then its unclear as to whether it would increase synaptic 5-HT levels before the psychedelic wore off...

Seems a bit dubious in my opinion, but i've been wrong before ;)

Mirtazepine has been effective for aborting trips some people. Think there's a thread on it around here somewhere

i dont believe its ever right to attempt to "counteract" a psycedelic

all that is happening is, youre not comfortable being confronted with yourself, your ego is being damaged, or you are trying to control something that can not be controlled. the point is to lose control, and learn a lesson. its not there for you to "like" or "not like" the lesson, the lesson is what it is. let your ego die, even if it seems "painful." pain is inevitable, suffering is entirely up to you.

treating acid like some commodity that exists for your pleasure is a sure fire way to never fully enjoy, never fully experience, or never fully let go during, the trip.

Yes, that is very true. but some times you may not be ready for such a lession. and your point completely contridicts the thread in the first place so i dont see much point in posting it. but it is a very valid point indeed!

has anyone tried taking these HUGE niacin doses(multiple grams) if so, how was the flushing? or any other side effects, and also the effective-ness of calming a trip?

Well, if i'm correct the general theory about SSRIs blunting the effects of psychedelics has to do with the increase in synaptic serotonin at consequent lack of available binding sites for the drug, that's a bit of an oversimplification... but oh well...

Anyway, if you were to take an SSRI (and you don't take them regularly) it would take at least 3-4hrs to reach peak plasma concentration, and even then its unclear as to whether it would increase synaptic 5-HT levels before the psychedelic wore off...

Seems a bit dubious in my opinion, but i've been wrong before ;)

Mirtazepine has been effective for aborting trips some people. Think there's a thread on it around here somewhere

LSD is a partial agonist (25-50% of the maximal effect of 5-ht) while 5-ht is a full agonist at the 5-ht2a, so depending on the concentration of LSD to 5-ht, LSD has the potential to produce antagonist effects. The interference with normal full transmission responses of the 5-ht receptor, cause this such effect. Similar to how bupe can precipitate withdrawals. So, with that in consideration, the fact that there will be an influx of 5-ht in the synaptic clefts can increase the competition for binding, decreasing the psychedelic 5-ht2a mediated effects. However the extent of depression in psychedelic effect varies from psych to psych, and with other sites of action for that specific drug, like LSD's D1 and D2 agonism or modulation of say the glutamate system. Interestingly enough, the dopamine agonism (specifically the D2) may increase the response of the 5-h2a receptors, and the 5-ht2a agonism can increase the dopamine function.

Are there actually accounts reporting success with niacin and LSD? I know it was in some research paper, but it would be convincing if it could be reproduced (which is true for every scientific claim, obviously).

If it works I wonder about picamilon which is a condensed form of niacin and GABA. That might be even better for the purpose.

I have quelled a few horribly dysphoric trips with niacin. Dont know if it was just placebo effect, but it sure felt pharmacological. And there is a history of it being moderately useful... I got the idea from somewhere (though dont recall where).

The best antipsychotic is Halperidol.

Seroquel (Quetiapine) is probably the next best. This may give you lucid nightmares though, be warned!

Obviously any and all benzos will help a little along with tranqs

I have quelled a few horribly dysphoric trips with niacin. Dont know if it was just placebo effect, but it sure felt pharmacological. And there is a history of it being moderately useful... I got the idea from somewhere (though dont recall where).

at what dose the niacin?

The best antipsychotic is Halperidol.

Seroquel (Quetiapine) is probably the next best. This may give you lucid nightmares though, be warned!

Obviously any and all benzos will help a little along with tranqs
Hell yeah. One of our patients was screaming and being a general bitch, gave that fat ass lady like one injection. QUIET in a few seconds.

Are there actually accounts reporting success with niacin and LSD? I know it was in some research paper, but it would be convincing if it could be reproduced (which is true for every scientific claim, obviously).

If it works I wonder about picamilon which is a condensed form of niacin and GABA. That might be even better for the purpose.

Nicotinic acid, aka niacin, does in fact act as a neurotransmitter. No word in the literature on whether it's antipsychotic, but:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15183629

EDIT: In fact, I'm currently tripping and I could go grab some niacin to test this. Worth a shot maybe? I'm having a goddamn wonderful time though...

I would never put Haloperidol in my body. It sounds like a terrible drug from all reports I read.
So thank you, having a bad trip sounds like better option.

Merged together two threads.

The first time I tried coke it did make me feel more clear and sober but I did not like it at all, but then again: I was not looking to stop my trip. I would definitely watch out with big lines because they might make you overstimulated / paranoid or something similar. If the reason that you want to abort is because things are getting too psychotic for you stimulants are almost by definition contraindicated (that is, they can make things even worse).

If you are really having a hard time I imagine this is not a good idea anyway because even though you might feel more straightened out cognitively, at the same time you are still having effects but speedy. They are opposing forces in a way and I would worry about feeling like it rips you in half.

I have to add I am not a huge fan of stimulants in general even though I have enjoyed some occasionally.

A downer like a benzo or GHB would be much better to cushion a trip more mildly. It is only recommended as an almost-last resort.
Antipsychotics should be a very last resort and I definitely wouldn't fuck with them unless it is clearly a life or death situation.