• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Trip Abortion Thread

benzos is what they give ya at the hospital, someone said nitrous HA good luck with that

Actually nitrous tends to stimulate positive feelings and can in fact turn a downer trip towards happier territory - it ain't called "laughing gas" fer nuthin

OK. Out of your personal experience as well?

I'd think the increased intensity would overrule positive feelings that go with it, the dissociation would mostly confuse my is what I predict. Wouldn't take it even if it was the only thing I had lying around.

Yes in my personal experience. For me, bad trips seem to involve a sense of being mentally "stuck." The big euphoric rush nitrous gives me tends to make me feel "unstuck," and seems to forcibly break my mind OUT of repeated thought loops of negative interpretations.

(But I guess if you are afraid of it and if the mere thought of nitrous gives you conscious prior anticipatory fears of some horrible ab-reaction, then its probably best not to use it, as those things can become self-fulfilling prophesies that you inflict on yourself in such a state of mind.)

Last edited:
While I wouldn't say NOS aborts a trip, I did find that I felt less affected by gear when also on NOS. I was smoking (the gear) and I often find this to be a more 'subtle' high (that is, less 'sketchy') so it could just possibly be the NOS affects overshadowing the gear!

What's people opinion on which benzo to take? Depends on my mood but personally if I want another high plus come down I'd prefer diaze (give me, as I like to describe it as, the "warm and fuzzies"). Otherwise clonazepam is good just to deaden the high.

I find clonazepam to totally zone me out. Not give me any kind of feelings, any which way. Almost zombie-like, dumb. Anyone encounter this?

Nitrous is very powerful, I'm sure it will take over the trip for most people. However, it is far from a sure thing and there are other substances much better suited.

I really don't think people should be recommending the use of any drug (weed, nitrous, etc. I've seen mentioned here - crazy, methinks!) other than neuronal activity reducers or DA/5HT antagonists (benzos, antipsychs) on top of whatever one is currently causing a difficult experience for the tripper. And even this is not recommended except in serious situations.

Combining drugs can more often than not send someone really over the deepend, or be a catalyst for the development of a difficult experience in the first place.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but trazodone (SARI) kills my 2cx trips. I took 50mg of trazodone 8 or 9 hours into and intense 2cp trip, and within a half hour the trip was 95% killed. I was asleep shortly after that.

Last edited:
i was just about to ask if anyone had used trazodone to abort trips. I always keep some 5-HT2a antagonists on hand (trazondone is one i have access to) and i've been pretty low on mirtazapine for a little over a year now. I've only used mirtazapine to abort a trip once, and more as a "proof of concept" test than me freaking out. I do occasionally give them to other people though, although it seems having the safety blanket there is often enough security to not actually need to use it.

i was just about to ask if anyone had used trazodone to abort trips. I always keep some 5-HT2a antagonists on hand (trazondone is one i have access to) and i've been pretty low on mirtazapine for a little over a year now. I've only used mirtazapine to abort a trip once, and more as a "proof of concept" test than me freaking out. I do occasionally give them to other people though, although it seems having the safety blanket there is often enough security to not actually need to use it.

Yeah trazodone worked better than I thought it would, and much better than any benzo i've used for this purpose. I also didn't take it because of a freakout, that has never happened, i just wanted to get some sleep.

If they're freaking out, make your mobile phone ring and then pretend to answer it and say 'Hey mate, your mother/wife/girlfriend/whoever is on the phone, they're wondering where you are and they want you home NOW!!!'

Usually gets 'em sober pretty quick ;)

no no no! for some reason, i have no idea why but when im tripping mobile phones freak me out, i turn mine off and put it away when tripping, even seeing the screen when a call comes in can give me the fear for no apparent reason, i answered a call once, it was very very strange, i felt like god was phoning me to tell me off and i didnt know what to say (it wasnt god, it was my sister and boy was she confused) personally i just remind myself that it is in fact all in my head and either laugh at or be somehow amazed at how whatever crazy thing made me feel "off" for a few mins, make it something laughable and it will be. oh and never ever watch a french tv show called les shadoks et le big blank while tripping, ive never had anything give me the fear so bad, not even when i saw the news and fiona bruce's face was all twisted and weird, like someone had drawn a picture of her face on her face

the sad truth is though the only way you can work out what works for you is to go through it and find your own path to keeping on the happy side, its all about experience

Personally, I never look to abort a trip. Often times, the most profound insights occur during trips which have turned sour, and I usually end up feeling stronger after its over. Sure, things can get pretty scary, but I kinda feel that if you're not able to "deal with yourself" and ride out the waves of terror and anxiety through meditation, you shouldn't be doing so many drugs. It's like, you bought the ticket, so take the ride...if you hop off early, you don't reach your destination, and the trip was pointless. Psychedelics should be viewed with more respect than simply a means to get fucked up.

Combining drugs can more often than not send someone really over the deepend, or be a catalyst for the development of a difficult experience in the first place.

I (and I'm sure a lot of us regulars also) agree. But I think this is a case of people are going to do it ("it" being poly-drug use, or more specifically, drugs to abort) so what are the ways we can mitigate the risks?

People are going to do it when things are going well, yes, and there is nothing wrong with that. We've all had beautiful drug combination experiences, and if these are done responsibly then there is no problem.

But I don't really believe there is any way to "mitigate the risks" when someone's psychedelic experience is taking a turn for the worse other than NOT taking any drugs other than those which will directly interrupt the psychedelic activity.

Last edited:
Personally, I never look to abort a trip. Often times, the most profound insights occur during trips which have turned sour, and I usually end up feeling stronger after its over. Sure, things can get pretty scary, but I kinda feel that if you're not able to "deal with yourself" and ride out the waves of terror and anxiety through meditation, you shouldn't be doing so many drugs. It's like, you bought the ticket, so take the ride...if you hop off early, you don't reach your destination, and the trip was pointless. Psychedelics should be viewed with more respect than simply a means to get fucked up.

Indeed. I find that when I abort psychedelic trip it leaves me feeling like something is incomplete, something that I didn't finish. Like there was things that you needed to handle out, but you run away from those. It's same thing in sobriety when you can't handle yourself and you're emotions so you use substances to numb yourself.

i heard a big line of coke or amphet?
dunno about this tho
As usual, Solipsis already says it very well, I think.

My own personal experience is, that if I´m tripping too much considering the setting I´m in, a line of Amphetamine clears things up, and it definitely works counter LSD. I mean the colours noticably get weaker etc...it´s just a question of whether what is strongest, the acid or the amphetamine. I´m pretty sure snorted amphetamine could kill a weak trip completely. Actually I know it can.

But it´s probably not a good idea if you are tripping really bad to take stimulamts. Benzo´s or even an opiate maybe, would definitely be better.

I didn´t read the thread btw, and I´m drink sp I hope I didn´t say something stupid ;)

But I don't really believe there is any way to "mitigate the risks" when someone's psychedelic experience is taking a turn for the worse other than NOT taking any drugs other than those which will directly interrupt the psychedelic activity.

Ah, apologies, I don't think I explained myself that well! I'm actually in agreeance with you! :) I meant by people getting into trouble with poly-drug use isn't what you're referring to, i meant more so people who (consciously or not - by "not" I mean more so when your inhibitions/judgement is inpaired due to the drug and you make a wrong decision, by "consciously" I mean people who misjudge their dose or the potency/their tolerance/the potentiating effects) use drugs which end up potentiating each other, causing an OD. Don't mean in the sense as you're referring to - drug which may directly (antisychotics/serotonin-antagonists/etc) or even indirectly (benzos/barbiturates/generally any form of depressant I guess) may interrupt the psychedelic activity.

read: imma agreeing with ya dude! :)

Well, I'm kinda interested in this thread for what you might think are the wrong reasons.. But why would you want to abort a trip??
I mean, I understand that sometimes they can be overwhelming, even terrifying! Still, I just take this as a part of the experience personally..
I think it's an important aspect of psychadelic research in fact, to experience the entire spectrum of a trip, or at least all aspects presented to you.

I would recommend benzodiazepines at first. The physical issues will probably be your main concern if you're concerned and a benzo will relax things nicely.

how much is too much? Chilling out and going with the flow is always useful as the first response to a difficult experience. You can also come chat in the chat channel; #tripsit.