• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Syrian Rue & Harmala MAOI Alkaloids Thread

on my past experience i have been using roughly 3.5g syrian rue with mushrooms and that certainly seems to do the trick. I have not noticed any extremely body load from them, i usually ingest 1hr prior to ingesting the mushies and have felt no discomfort during that hour, 3.5g makes up around 8 of standard sized vegi-caps

iopener

I hear a basic dose of harmine needed to potentiate dmt/5meo/etc... is 50mg

ER0X said:
I hear a basic dose of harmine needed to potentiate dmt/5meo/etc... is 50mg

Do you know if the same goes for Harmaline and the others? Do you have a source for that info, or did you really just hear it?

Oral dosages of harmaline and harmine are 100mg to 150mg. I've never heard of whether or not harmol and harmalol are useful for MAOI activity. TIHKAL talks at length about dosages and effects of harmaline and harmine. But you need book one which is not online.

I'd like to read about anyone's personal experiences with Harmala. Specifically the isolated chemicals harmine and/or harmaline. What worked out best for you? Is there any advice you could give that came from your personal experiences? I've read most of the available online information, but I'd like to hear what some of you people have to say.

Personal advice: It's pretty much goddamn inactive without some tryptamine involved. Harmaline extract (10x) smoked works well with DPT. Harmaline freebase + weed doesn't. I'll update this as I experiment, I suppose.

froms shulgin's expieriences, and a little of research, the only point i would see to do this, is in a setting whewre u can puke up ur heart at the first sign of nausea on a crazy massive dose, then lay down to explore your mind (because at that point, u supposedly have no motor coordination)

There is actually a ton of research on harmaline. Besides J. Otts extensive work, in which he has written two or three books that mention his halamine/harmine experiments, harmaline was used in psychotherapy in the early '60s. This was best documented in the book "The Healing Journey" by C. Naranjo (sp? edited: fixed spelling. - iso). It has four chapters, one on MMDA (not MDMA), one on MDA, one on harmaline and one on ibogaine. Each chapter has case studies with patients who took these medicines in psychotherapy. Great book.

Harmine and harmaline have probably more research than LSD does. Go to a library guys and start looking in old journals. "The Healing Journey is out of print, but it can be checked out at many libraries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peganum Harmala MAOI interactions?

Hello, I have been considering some experiments with bufotenine tonight, in the form of yopo seeds (anadenanthera columbrina) and harmala extraction.

Thing is, I haven't been planning it all day, and a few hours earlier, I did eat a small quantity of processed cheese, and some small amount of caffeine, in the form of 3 double cheese burgers and a serving of coke (yes I mean the drink, before any of you start breaking out the razorblades and mirrors=D )

It wasn't exactly much cheese, but I can't find any information on tyramine content of those pre-packaged McDonalds type cheese slices they put in the burgers (wether that crap has actually ever SEEN a cow is in some doubt, given that its from macdonalds.....but the possibility of a nasty interaction from tyramine remains unsure;))

At most, it would have been 5-6 slices of processed pseudo-cheese product and a single serving of coke, and the plan is, to boil down to a paste, and take P.Harmala extract from 5-6 grams of seeds, then vaporise from 2-4 yopo seeds as feels appropriate.

Is this safe from the point of view of MAOI interactions, or should I wait for a day before begginning testing?

Thanks.

Harmala alkaloids are competetive MAOI's so the dietry restrictions aren't as severe as with the MAOI's used as clinical antidepressants (they are non-competetive and permanantly disable the MAO). This effectivly means that as long as you don't eat a contraindicated food during the effects of the harmala alkaloids, you'll be OK (any tyrosine converted to tyramine from the burgers etc will have been metabolised well before you take the harmala alkaloids if a few hours have passed)

Yea, that'd be crazy if you couldn't take psychedelics with cheese....????

I remember I ate pizza (which has cheese in it) while eating some morning glory seeds before, and was completely fine, anyhow...I think I had a slice, or maybe two...

Morning glory seeds contain lysergic acid amide derivatives, which are not MAOIs, there is no risk eating cheese with psychadelics that are not MAOIs or are not used in conjunction with MAOIs.

I don't think I will be taking the harmala alkaloids tonight, well, not most of them, as I just made a bit of a stupid lack of foresight.

An acid base extraction was on the boiled harmala, and extracted 5x with diethyl ether, on the first time, I forgot about the high vapor pressure of ether, opened the top of the bottle after the ether had seperated out from the aqeous layer, basified with NH3, of course, stupid me took the bottle cap on, and was duly sprayed in the face with harmaline freebase and ether8o

The subsequent portions were extracted with more care, and I am just waiting for the ether to evaporate, I am just glad that only the ether/freebase layer came up to greet me, and not the NH3, as the results of that would NOT be much fun, especially trying to get hospital treatment at 6.05 am:X

I intend to smoke the freebase once the ether evaporates, can it be smoked directly? perhaps soaked onto some pot, or would it be better vaporised in a lightbulb?

Sorry, I am not too familiar with the heat stability of beta-carbolines.

They are smokable. Works best in a 'tweak pipe' or something along that lines, but I suppose smoking with cannabis would also work.

I havent got a DMT pipe or "glass dick" tweak pipe yet, I usually use a vaporiser made out of a hollowed out lightbulb, plugged with a mouthpeice and a secondary tube to act as a carb, carefully heated from below, that should to the trick.

The freebase seems to be crystallising, which is odd, because I thought harmaline freebase was a liquid?

No, pure harmaline freebase is a slightly yellowish powder. Or at least the stuff I am familiar with is.